purchasing L 185 need advice

T and S

Equipment
L185
Jan 6, 2011
Oak Ridge, Mo.
buying a L185 from a friend. Tractor needs a new seat, possibly a battery, battery cables. What is a good source for buying parts for these ?
I want to go through all of the fluids etc, what else should I check before using it ?
History: tractor was used to mow yard for the last 15 yrs, it has a 72" finish mower with it (pull behind). The guy I am buying it from is getting a zero turn mower for his yard. Tractor is in good shape, but could use a fresh coat of paint and new stickers.

Michael

Equipment
Zen Noh ZL1801 Sadly I sold it and a T1400 lawn tractor
Mar 11, 2009
Sedro Woolley, Washington USA
buying a L185 from a friend. Tractor needs a new seat, possibly a battery, battery cables. What is a good source for buying parts for these ?
I want to go through all of the fluids etc, what else should I check before using it ?
History: tractor was used to mow yard for the last 15 yrs, it has a 72" finish mower with it (pull behind). The guy I am buying it from is getting a zero turn mower for his yard. Tractor is in good shape, but could use a fresh coat of paint and new stickers.
For the seat e-bay or your local Kubota dealer, Northern Tool is also good as you can fit just about any generic seat on the L185 and they are on the web, just google them.

The battery do you got a Wal-Mart near by. Before you go measure the battery cable length, Grab the battery and take it in and save the core charge (that way you can match it up) and get one with a minimum of 850 cold cranking amps. I have always liked Exide batteries and that is what Wal-Mart sells. These are good quality batteries and at a better price then just about anyplace else. While at Wal-Mart check and see if they have basic battery cables and if they do buy the proper length plus 3 inches (I have always found that through the years the original cables have been cut off at the ends and replacement ends installed) and pop in into the tractor when you get home.

For the fluid changes do all of the filters, change the oil and replace the antifreeze with a minimum 50-50 mix. Even though it is a little more expensive I prefer the premix anti freeze as the anti freeze companies use distilled water instead of tap water.

Now comes the last part and that is service the transmission, drain this sucker is going to yield a lot of hydraulic oil upwards to 6 gallons, when I did my L series that I used to own, I used a funnel and a old 10 gallon gas can and drained the hydraulic fluid into the gas can using the funnel under the drain hole for the transmission. Once you drain the transmission be sure to clean the filter screen and then replace the plugs and filter screen and refill.

Be sure to grab the grease gun and hit all the zerks and you now have a tractor ready for service.

T and S

Equipment
L185
Jan 6, 2011
Oak Ridge, Mo.
Thanks for the help. Been checking this site out, I should have looked before I asked, their is a lot of information here for sure. I own 5 acres, and will basically use this tractor for mowing around my property and along the lane coming in to our house, and also looking to get a box blade to smooth out a few places.

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
How many hours on the tractor?
15 years of mowing could be quite a few miles.
Are the tires in good shape?
A turf tire would prob. be best for you.
Check the brakes as well.
Search the forum for where to find the hydraulic suction filter.
Your tractor will thank you.
Locate the throw out bearing as well for greasing.

Great size for 5 acres.
Do you have to deal with snow?

T and S

Equipment
L185
Jan 6, 2011
Oak Ridge, Mo.
How many hours on the tractor?
15 years of mowing could be quite a few miles.
tractor has about 1500 hours on it
Are the tires in good shape?
A turf tire would prob. be best for you.
ag tires, like new
Check the brakes as well.
Search the forum for where to find the hydraulic suction filter.
Your tractor will thank you.
Locate the throw out bearing as well for greasing.

Great size for 5 acres.
Do you have to deal with snow?
not to much - we get about 6 or so inches over the winter