Purchase of a 2020 Kubota GR 2020/2120 with snowblower

Anchorage

Equipment
none
Jan 3, 2021
Anchorage
Looking to purchase a new GR 2020 or 2120 for my over half acre lawn and snowblowing my driveway that is too steep for my chained up JD to handle and wondering if anyone has one of these machines and what kind of luck you are having--really interested in how it will handle the steep part of my paved driveway that goes down to my lower garage---thanks for your input--first post!!
Scott

freewheel3

Equipment
MX5000DT LA852, BX1800D, B6000DT, B6200HSTD, B7100HSTD, L185, T1700HX, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2013
Alberta
Hi Scott, welcome to OTT. If your driveway is quite steep, you might want to look at something that has actual 4WD. The GR is only AWD when the wheels are straight, as soon as you turn the front wheels a bit, the AWD kicks out to allow for sharper turns.
Just my .02.

Anchorage

Equipment
none
Jan 3, 2021
Anchorage
Hi Scott, welcome to OTT. If your driveway is quite steep, you might want to look at something that has actual 4WD. The GR is only AWD when the wheels are straight, as soon as you turn the front wheels a bit, the AWD kicks out to allow for sharper turns.
Just my .02.

Anchorage

Equipment
none
Jan 3, 2021
Anchorage
I was trying to get one machine to do both--do you have a GR?? Really the only time I will need the AWD is going up the hill I'm speaking of--probably 75 ft or so..

FUSE

Equipment
B3350-B2650-Z125s-KX008-Bobcat MT100-Case/Davis TF310
May 24, 2017
North Dakota
I gotta ask, since your going new, why not just go with a BX series tractor? Its just so much more machine for really not too much more $$$$..... glide steer being the selling point im guessing?

Anchorage

Equipment
none
Jan 3, 2021
Anchorage
Was trying to use one machine to mow the lawn and to do the driveway-thinking the larger machine might tear up my grass with all the turning—thoughts??

tbk5

Equipment
L3710, L3010, ZD1211, RTV900xt, GR2100, lots of 3pt equipment
Sep 24, 2013
Central AL
I have a GR2100 with bagger and snowblower sitting in the garage. It has a dead transmission @500 hrs. I bought it for the same reasons as you. Even with rear weights and a stout operator, it had trouble in snow when you turned the wheels and glide steer engaged. The mower deck required constant adjustment to maintain a level cut. Maintenance was by the book. IMHO, the only thing worse than a GR's transmission is Kubota's support for GRs. I regret buying it.

Reactions: 1 user

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Was trying to use one machine to mow the lawn and to do the driveway-thinking the larger machine might tear up my grass with all the turning—thoughts??
The BX is an excellent mower, and definitely wouldn't tear up the grass. I just upgraded from a BX to a B, which also doesn't tear the grass.

The secret is that you need to be in 2WD if you're turning sharp, and 4WD if you're starting and stopping a lot.

propuckstopper

Equipment
GR2010, BX2380
Jan 10, 2018
Canada
Looking to purchase a new GR 2020 or 2120 for my over half acre lawn and snowblowing my driveway that is too steep for my chained up JD to handle and wondering if anyone has one of these machines and what kind of luck you are having--really interested in how it will handle the steep part of my paved driveway that goes down to my lower garage---thanks for your input--first post!!
Scott
I have a GR2010 (bought new in 2009) and a BX2380 (bought new in 2018). The GR has a 48" deck while the BX has a 60" deck. Both decks are equipped with the mulching kit. Neither of these tractors are equipped with a snowblower, so I cannot speak to that. I don't use the GR in the winter at all.

My plan was to eventually sell the GR, but it is so much more nimble than the BX when cutting grass. Further, my young son is now piloting the GR so I figure it is a good reason to keep it. We now tag team our 2.5 acres and with 108" of deck we are done quickly. Truth be told, I prefer the GR for grass cutting over the BX. The BX is good in the back field where there are straight runs, but it does not compare to the GR in tight quarters. And even with turf tires mounted, the BX is tougher on the grass than the GR.

While I prefer the GR for cutting only, the BX is better at about everything else. They both have their places.

As for reliability problems with the GR Series, I guess I have been lucky. It has over 500 hours now with no significant issues.

When new, my GR had a pretty significant whining noise coming from the hydrostatic transmission. I changed the oil at about ten hours, and found a significant amount of silicone sealer in the strainer. Like, lots of silicone.

I immediately contacted Kubota Canada (and my dealer) and sent them pictures of the silicone chunks. I wanted to document it in case I had problems down the road. Had I not done that initial early oil change, I am almost positive the transmission would have starved for oil and suffered an early death.

However, I have not had a problem since the discovery of the silicone sealer, and the GR works great every day in the summer.

So, in summary, I think you will like the GR Series, although many here may disagree with me.

Anchorage

Equipment
none
Jan 3, 2021
Anchorage
I have a GR2010 (bought new in 2009) and a BX2380 (bought new in 2018). The GR has a 48" deck while the BX has a 60" deck. Both decks are equipped with the mulching kit. Neither of these tractors are equipped with a snowblower, so I cannot speak to that. I don't use the GR in the winter at all.

My plan was to eventually sell the GR, but it is so much more nimble than the BX when cutting grass. Further, my young son is now piloting the GR so I figure it is a good reason to keep it. We now tag team our 2.5 acres and with 108" of deck we are done quickly. Truth be told, I prefer the GR for grass cutting over the BX. The BX is good in the back field where there are straight runs, but it does not compare to the GR in tight quarters. And even with turf tires mounted, the BX is tougher on the grass than the GR.

While I prefer the GR for cutting only, the BX is better at about everything else. They both have their places.

As for reliability problems with the GR Series, I guess I have been lucky. It has over 500 hours now with no significant issues.

When new, my GR had a pretty significant whining noise coming from the hydrostatic transmission. I changed the oil at about ten hours, and found a significant amount of silicone sealer in the strainer. Like, lots of silicone.

I immediately contacted Kubota Canada (and my dealer) and sent them pictures of the silicone chunks. I wanted to document it in case I had problems down the road. Had I not done that initial early oil change, I am almost positive the transmission would have starved for oil and suffered an early death.

However, I have not had a problem since the discovery of the silicone sealer, and the GR works great every day in the summer.

So, in summary, I think you will like the GR Series, although many here may disagree with me.

Anchorage

Equipment
none
Jan 3, 2021
Anchorage
Thanks very much for your input on your experience with both models--intially was looking towards the GR but the more I read the partime AWD concerns me a bit --basically disengaging when turning but might be something I could adjust to--as this is only a concern when snowblowing--curious what you use to remove snow in your area, you stated you don't have a blower on either machine,do you have a blade mount??

machinedog39

Lifetime Member
Jan 30, 2020
Anchorage, AK
Thanks very much for your input on your experience with both models--intially was looking towards the GR but the more I read the partime AWD concerns me a bit --basically disengaging when turning but might be something I could adjust to--as this is only a concern when snowblowing--curious what you use to remove snow in your area, you stated you don't have a blower on either machine,do you have a blade mount??
BX2380, 2822 blower and RB16 rear blade and am in your area.

propuckstopper

Equipment
GR2010, BX2380
Jan 10, 2018
Canada
I use the bucket of the BX2380 to move snow out of the driveway. I have added a plastic edge on the bucket to keep the wear down. The bucket actually works surprisingly well for this task.

I also have a walk behind track drive Honda snowblower that I bought well before the BX and the GR. It works good for any "finish" work I may have in the driveway or on my kid's backyard skating rink.

It would probably be great to buy a front mount blower and rear blade for the BX, but I am not into spending that much money for what sometimes amounts to very little use. The bucket works great, and with the money I have saved it allows me to keep my GR and let my kid drive it to help with the summer grass cutting duties.

Last edited:

bx tractorjoe

Equipment
kubota l2501 upgraded from a bx23s john deere 670 husquarvana huv 4421 gxp
Jun 3, 2020
loxahatchee flordia
My bx23s was awesome for mowing with the loader and backhoe off..

Mower deck for the bx series looks to be built a little tougher.. the 2021 is almost 11k? Can get a bx for 16ish.. much more capable and the 3 point with a box blade is great for drive way maintenance.

If you do go with the gr get the diesel the fuel costs over the years and longtiviity of the diesel is much better.. the kohler on the 2020 is made just for that mower so parts availability are dependent on kubotas stock in hand..

Snowmansimon

Dec 31, 2015
Canada
I have an older BX1860. Great little machine. I mow with it as well as run a tiller/flail mower/box blade/landscape rake/rear blade. Purchased it to do my landscaping and now that its done I mow and maintain 300ft of driveway primarily and odd jobs on the side tilling, box blading, etc to pay it off. No regrets. Mows great I find. Most of my lawn is sloped and I switch between 2wd and 4wd often. No snowblower as I work out of town often so I hire that out. I would get the smallest blower you can find for it. 48".

I would certainly consider one for your tasks since you are considering a ride on priced near the price of the BX18 series. Very capable little machine that often gets overlooked as most opt for the BX23. Only time I wish I had the 23hp is for the flail mower on thicker overgrown grass that hasnt been cut for 10-15 years. Once I get to the point I am cutting twice a summer it will be fine.

makemineorange

Equipment
BX2370-1 w/11 3pt or towed attachments
Oct 19, 2016
SE Iowa
Can't speak to the GR lineup, but I'm on my second BX now. I had a green riding mower when a friend sold us her late husband's BX1850 with several attachments for pennies on the dollar. It had a 54" deck but no loader. I liked it so much, I traded it and the green machine in for a lightly used 2370 with industrial tires, new 60" deck and an FEL. In the summer it mows 3 acres with no damage and tends to the timber, in the winter the loader and back blade (or 3 point blower if needed, which is never) takes care of 150' of gravel drive. It's the best of both worlds, rock solid and bulletproof if operated within it's parameters. The BX1850 was a very capable back blade snow mover with turf tires. Matter of fact, I'd say it was better than the 2370 is.

Last edited:

Larmo

Equipment
gr 2110
Apr 5, 2021
se pa
I have a GR2100 with bagger and snowblower sitting in the garage. It has a dead transmission @500 hrs. I bought it for the same reasons as you. Even with rear weights and a stout operator, it had trouble in snow when you turned the wheels and glide steer engaged. The mower deck required constant adjustment to maintain a level cut. Maintenance was by the book. IMHO, the only thing worse than a GR's transmission is Kubota's support for GRs. I regret buying it.
Would you be interested selling the mower "as is" ?

tbk5

Equipment
L3710, L3010, ZD1211, RTV900xt, GR2100, lots of 3pt equipment
Sep 24, 2013
Central AL
I am going to keep it to have a bagging mower for the lawn around the house. I ordered the transmission rebuild kit. I have the transmission out but haven't had time yet to do the rebuild.

I would sell the snowblower--not much need for it here in Alabama. LOL--I have it on a moving dolly. If there is storm potential, I roll it out of the garage and point it north to ward off the evil snow gods....