Purchase new - B2601 vs LX2610

Karnold

May 4, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Hi,

I am new to the tractor world and I have been spending the last year research about tractors. I have narrowed it down to the Kubota B2601 and the LX2610 but having a hard time figuring out if the LX is worth the extra ~$2000 CAD.
Initially I will be buying a rear snowblower and a ballast box but I am sure I will be adding other implement over the years.

I have a fully wooded lot which I have cleared an area for where we will be starting the house build this year. the main purpose of the tractor will be snow removal of a 250 feet driveway with a turning area in front of the house and detached garage. In the early year, the tractor will be used landscaping and setting up the homestead. Other then that, it will be typical maintenance of the garden bed (compost, wood chip...), move fire wood, grading and moving material around.

Thanks you,
Karnold

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
While both will satisfy your needs, weight is your friend when it comes to snow removal. You will also benefit from the increased loader capacity on the LX2610 with your other projects. I would also recommend filling the rear tires for some additional weight/ballast. If you don't have a need for the mid PTO (mid mount mower, front snowblower, front rotary broom, etc.) consider the LX2610SU model to lower the cost a bit.

Reactions: 1 users

Karnold

May 4, 2021
Ontario, Canada
While both will satisfy your needs, weight is your friend when it comes to snow removal. You will also benefit from the increased loader capacity on the LX2610 with your other projects. I would also recommend filling the rear tires for some additional weight/ballast. If you don't have a need for the mid PTO (mid mount mower, front snowblower, front rotary broom, etc.) consider the LX2610SU model to lower the cost a bit.
What is the lift capacity difference between both? I see the lift spec for the tractor is different compared to the specs for the front loaders (LA435/535).

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
A quick estimate is to double the model number and that is how many pounds it will lift. So the 435 would lift around 870 lbs and the 535 around 1070 lbs.

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
What is the lift capacity difference between both? I see the lift spec for the tractor is different compared to the specs for the front loaders (LA435/535).
770lbs to full height at 19.7" ahead of the pins for the LA535 and 660lbs to full height at 19.7" ahead of the pins for the LA435. Breakout force of 1635lbs at 19.7" ahead of the pins for the LA535 and breakout force of 1520 at 19.7" ahead of the pins for the LA435. ~100 lbs doesn't sound like much but I've never heard anyone say they could have made due with less loader capacity.

Reactions: 1 user

Karnold

May 4, 2021
Ontario, Canada
It's all about trying to figure out if the increment to the LX is worth the extra $2000 or if I'm better off spending that money on remote hydraulic, ballast box and forks. It's a tough decision I don't want to regret down the road.

Karnold

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
It's all about trying to figure out if the increment to the LX is worth the extra $2000 or if I'm better off spending that money on remote hydraulic, ballast box and forks. It's a tough decision I don't want to regret down the road.

Karnold
Many have been in a similar spot and the decision is ultimately yours. However, it's much more expensive in the long run to replace a tractor and implements that you later determine to be too small rather than spending the money up front (especially at 0% financing). However, if you are certain the B2601 is a good fit, then definitely spend the additional money on remote hydraulics and implements.

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
I find my B2601 capable enough to lift almost anything I run into. Unless you've got some specific use cases (lifting heavy pallets of X, Y, Z on a regular basis) then you'll probably be fine. There's also some advantage to having a smaller tractor when it comes to landscaping and fitting into smaller spots around the house.

I always recommend checking out Youtube videos to get an idea of what tractors can do. GPOutdoors is a great channel. He had a B2601 for awhile and now has a LX2610.

You can't go wrong with either machine in the end. As mentioned, the cheaper B2601 might allow for you to 'invest' in an implement or two upfront. These tractors are most useful when you have implements.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
Either should do everything you need. The 2601 will do everything the LX will, 2601 with a 54" bucket while the LX will have a 60". Either will lift their respective bucket completely full of most anything. Both have good ground clearance. You did not mention mowing. I would go with the B2601 with R14 tires (not filled), QA 54" bucket, and the regular individual hydraulic connects rather than the optional single connector. You may not need a mower deck until after your yard is in but if you plan on using the tractor to mow with (why not?) I'd include a 60" deck in the purchase. I'd also get a Titan ballast box, a set of nice light weight pallet forks, a landscape/rock rake, and rear blade. If necessary for a 250' drive and area in front of the garage you could take care of snow removal with the front bucket until money is available for the snow blower.
The 2601 will take up a little less garage space than the LX as well.

Karnold

May 4, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Either should do everything you need. The 2601 will do everything the LX will, 2601 with a 54" bucket while the LX will have a 60". Either will lift their respective bucket completely full of most anything. Both have good ground clearance. You did not mention mowing. I would go with the B2601 with R14 tires (not filled), QA 54" bucket, and the regular individual hydraulic connects rather than the optional single connector. You may not need a mower deck until after your yard is in but if you plan on using the tractor to mow with (why not?) I'd include a 60" deck in the purchase. I'd also get a Titan ballast box, a set of nice light weight pallet forks, a landscape/rock rake, and rear blade. If necessary for a 250' drive and area in front of the garage you could take care of snow removal with the front bucket until money is available for the snow blower.
Thanks for the info Oliver. I am planning on getting some pallet fork which will be very useful during the construction of the house and after to move material around.

I have seen the rear blade being used on the GPOutdoors YouTube channel for snow removal and driveway maintenance and I have a feeling I will be getting one down the road.
As for the mower, I will see how much grass I will up end having since I plan to have a large vegetable garden and some small livestock (chickens and possibly some pigs). It may be to tight and not a large enough area to make it worth while getting one.

Thanks,
Karnold

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
This is exactly what I did. The machine is great for this.

I mow with mine (60" MMM) - it's a do it all machine, mowing, landscaping, snow removal. I spec'd R14 tires (not fluid filled) and they are good on my yard.

The only thing I wish I would have done is ditch the stupid single lever connector for the 4 loader lines. I think in the long run I'm going to convert them to individual connections.

Greg

Karnold

May 4, 2021
Ontario, Canada
This is exactly what I did. The machine is great for this.

I mow with mine (60" MMM) - it's a do it all machine, mowing, landscaping, snow removal. I spec'd R14 tires (not fluid filled) and they are good on my yard.

The only thing I wish I would have done is ditch the stupid single lever connector for the 4 loader lines. I think in the long run I'm going to convert them to individual connections.

Greg
What's the issue with the single lever connector ?

michigander

Equipment
B2601
May 29, 2018
Northern Michigan
Is it worth buying a rear ballast box or just get the loaded tires? I have two dealer telling completely different things.

Thanks,
Karnold
Even with loaded tires you want something on the back when doing loader work. I bought the back blade for that :). Tiller works great too :)

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
Is it worth buying a rear ballast box or just get the loaded tires? I have two dealer telling completely different things.

Thanks,
Karnold
Do you intend on mowing the lawn with this machine? If so, I wouldn't fill the tires. Want to keep it light for all that driving around the lawn. When I'm mowing, I have no rear implement on and I also take the loader off. Keeps the machine lighter and keeps the center of gravity lower.

However, you NEED (not "want" or "should") weight in the back when you're using your loader. If you don't, it will stress your front axle (and related components - bearings, etc) in addition to being somewhat dangerous/unstable. I don't run loaded tires. When using my loader, I have the backhoe on.

As far as the one lever quick loader valve deal - it's leak prone. I'd rather just have the 4 individual Pioneer couplers.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Just $2K more is a trap. Run away. :D Seriously, you can $2K forever up the Kubota lines. A more capable tractor without the attachments you need won’t be more capable.

I think the mower attachment type is different on a B2601 vs LX. That might be important for you. Messick’s youtube channel has a B2601 vs B2650 that goes into it. Neil also discusses LX vs B2650. I’m also not positive the LX uses exactly the same type mower as the B2650. Of course, you could use a finish mower and that would eliminate that comparison.

Also, a cab can be had with an LX. Nice, but it’s going to cost you even more. Unless you are on flatland, you probably don’t want to raise the center of gravity. A cab would be nice with snow.

I have an L2501 with loaded R4 tires. I really can’t see much impact to my grass even with a bucket/loader and 72 inch grader/scraper out back. I think the tires on the Bs are quite a bit smaller. I don’t mow with it, but I have driven across the grass.

Tires will be important for snow unless you plan to run chains. Some people say R14s are better, but they won’t compare to chains.

michigander

Equipment
B2601
May 29, 2018
Northern Michigan
This is a month ago last load stump chunks. loaded turfs on rather wet ground. This clump of willow was about 7 face cord , the other clump not shown about 3.
Willow Tree stumps.jpg
Willow Tree stumps.jpg
willow load.jpg
willow load.jpg total hauled out 10 face cord.

• Wow