Puncture advice - Front tire L series

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
I ended up stupidly running over an old chicken run and got three punctures from nails, one being a small slit or cut about 1/4" long in the front tire (R14 - 27x8.5x15). I tried patching with a plug like I have done successfully over the years on my road vehicles and got 2/3 but still have a slight leak around that slit. They are not filled with any ballast and unfortunately, these are hardly broken in.

Called two local Kubota dealers - mine where I purchased it sub's it out to local regular tire shop and directed me there... Option 1

The other local dealer's service guy gave me several options - rather than patch, they typically use:
Option 2: Kubota Premium tire sealant or
Option 3: Tube it.

I am concern with the sealant working & lasting. Then IF I had to change up it would a BIG mess in there down the road. He gave the usual caveats but said they had great success - typically $1/ounce (need 44oz for my size per his chart) or they sell in various sizes 32oz is $20
If I went the tube route, a quick search can up with a TSC tube for about $38 and IMO it would be a pain in the tail to work it in there manually and reseat bead etc. Dealer charges about $50 plus the cost of tube

I did a quick search but did not find anything recent on this topic
Any experience, advice or thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated! :)

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Look for a local tire store (hopefully, one that also deals with tractors) I took the front tire to them, I cleaned it out (since I used Slime in it earlier and felt guilty) and it was like $20 out the door ($16 for tube & $4 to install).

TSC is premium price for a tube, tire store is the cheapest...

Dealer will add extra $$$ and maybe just drop it off at a tire store to be fixed...

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Agree with Old and Tired. Take it to a tire shop that normally does equipment/farm tires and have them put a tube in it. Get the tube from the tire shop. Putting a tube in without pinching it with a tire as stiff as a R14 is worth the coin to leave to a pro unless you have the experience and a handful of big spoons to do it.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
If you don't mind a good physical workout.....a set of tire tools.....spoons, bead breaker, etc. are handy to have. I've done it the old fashioned way with them on my old "M" international with the 38" (?) rear tires. For smaller tires.....the Harbor Freight tire change/mounting tool really works quite well and with a set of spoons makes home repair of smaller tires quite easy. Mine gets used frequently on trailer tires, rtv's, lawn mowers, etc. Most recently on the front B2650 tire.

It's getting to the point where nobody wants to fix tires anymore because of liability or the wait time is excessive. A set of tools and that tire changer has more than paid for itself in both money and time saved.
And you can cancel that trip to the gym/fitness center! :ROFLMAO:

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
If you don't want to go with a tube a tire shop can apply a patch to the inside of the tire. That's how they fixed my pickup tire when it picked up a nail.

Reactions: 1 users

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
I don't know and doubt sealant will work on a slice in the tire. I do know that the Kubota branded tire sealer works great on punctures and is water soluble! Just make sure valve stem is at 12 o'clock when checking tire pressure! If you have already plugged the tire and in that process reamed the puncture larger to accommodate the plug then leave the plug in when using the sealer. I'm going on two years with no issues!

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Or do what I did on both my tractors. I got the front tires foam filled and never worried about punctures again. Not that expensive for front tires...rear tires different story.

I used to bicycle commute to work 32 miles per day, year round, and flats were a pain. Slime worked but eventually failed at the worst time...

No front flats in 19 and 17 years on my tractors. Happy camper...

Reactions: 1 user

bbxlr8

Equipment
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
Thanks for the input all - did some additional calling around and not finding any joy. But think a tube is the route to go for now.

I am interested in the foam option, but question how that will hold up with serious weight; loader/load etc - any thoughts?

I DO have the HF manual changer and have used it for years on smaller stuff - most recently replacing the front turfs on my smaller tractor.

However, these R14 8-plys are STIFF. They did walk off the rim and I reseated, but not without issue. Getting the bead off again is doable but could be a bear...

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Why all the talk about tire levers? No need to take the tire off or even dismount one side. Just break the bead, slide the tube in, and air it up to set the bead again. Deflate to let the tube center itself, then air it up to your preferred pressure. The only difficult part is breaking the bead if it's been there awhile.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Why all the talk about tire levers? No need to take the tire off or even dismount one side. Just break the bead, slide the tube in, and air it up to set the bead again. Deflate to let the tube center itself, then air it up to your preferred pressure. The only difficult part is breaking the bead if it's been there awhile.
And dump in plenty of talcum or baby powder first.

bbxlr8

Equipment
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
Thanks for the input. I had been thinking that I could slide it in there. This last time I pumped up to about 40psi & set it back on there pretty tight. I the past, I have used a board and weight (sometimes from driving slightly up on it to manually break the bead loose).

One place that does truck and industrial tires said to patch it along with the tube due to the slit. Any thoughts?

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
We had to break the bead on the wheel horse rear tire. Laid it flat on the concrete set the pallet forks just wide enough to miss the rim. We poured some soap and water around the bead and press down with the forks and popped the bead very easily. It worked better than a tire machine.

B2710

Equipment
LX3310, L45, RTV1100
Dec 13, 2011
SE Tennessee
Foamed my skid steer and tractor front tires several years based on the recommendations of local home builder, best free advice I ever got. Have never looked back and never had a problem. Adds some beneficial weight to the front of the tractor.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I am interested in the foam option, but question how that will hold up with serious weight; loader/load etc - any thoughts?
My experience is you will have no issue with foam, and that the tires will perform better with heavy loads that air filled tires.

Lots of construction equipment use foam filled tires for the reliability offered. Doubt you would experience anything different. It is said that the foam filled tires are stiffer and produce a bumpier ride. Could be, but I have never noticed it, maybe because mine have been foam filled for so long.

Mine still have some flex. The place that filled them said they can cure them at different pressures, which somewhat mimics an air filled tire.

bbxlr8

Equipment
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
Foam seems like a great option. What type of places typically do this?

My dealer also handles Case & several other industrial brands. I am surprised they did not suggest it.
edit - maybe they do at the main location - I was talking to a "satellite" store

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
I was having issues with numerous puncture's from hawthorn tree spikes. I tried slime which was a waste of money as it just eventually pushed through the tire. Ended up just plugging them from the outside and refilling with air. I eventually purchased new tires and put Kevlar liners in each one along with tubes. I did consider foam but thought it might be a pain if I had to replace the tire. I did have tubes in them for a while before I bought the Kevlar liners but every time I had a puncture, the tire had to be removed.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
One place that does truck and industrial tires said to patch it along with the tube due to the slit. Any thoughts?
If it were mine I would patch plug it and be done, no tube 🤷‍♂️

8C4E4FDD-A623-4333-8F71-90AA97E55556.jpeg

This based on the assumption that punctures are not expected to be a common occurrence based on your tractor usage. If you expect to be operating in conditions where punctures may happen regularly then foam filled would likely be the best option.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I did consider foam but thought it might be a pain if I had to replace the tire.
I asked about this when I got my front tires foam filled. The shop told me not a big deal, they would just cut off the old foam filled tires...

Still lots of life remaining in my tires after about 18 years (1800 hours), only on dirt.

bbxlr8

Equipment
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
So, I don't expect typical hazards that will cause repeat punctures (this was pretty thickheaded on my part), I ended up having a truck/industrial tire place use a HD patch.

It was not a plug/patch like above - those look great. I will have to source some of those for my "kit" and will keep a tube on hand as well & also know foam is a good option if this becomes a habit! :rolleyes: