BX25D PTO Oil Pressure low!!!?

JamRockBX25

Equipment
Kubota BX25DLB
Aug 27, 2020
Jamaica
Update:

We finally found a R1/8 on the "PTO clutch valve" is is located at the center on the end of the "PTO clutch valve" overlooked befour because it was fully covered with grease & dirt, guys you are correct the BX25DLB WSM dose not show this ... but the Kubota/PartsInfo official site dose show on the BX25DLB parts listing diagram see Fig4a ... so can we now confirm this is indeed the pto clutch downstream pressure test point. also for the BX25DLB ? and not just for BX23S Fig2 ?

Question: its looking as if we will be required to strip the rear end of the tractor to lift out the HST to access "PTO clutch valve" for cleaning oil passage , check o rings etc.. that is major!!! came across post talking about cutting away the section with a blow torch Fig4b as a workaround! we could not think of doing any such thing!

Also we struggle to find a adopter to connect the pressure gauge into that R1/8 port to enable us to do a test! comment please!

Attachments

Last edited:

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Update:

We finally found a R1/8 on the "PTO clutch valve" is is located at the center on the end of the "PTO clutch valve" overlooked befour because it was fully covered with grease & dirt, guys you are correct the BX25DLB WSM dose not show this ... but the Kubota/PartsInfo official site dose show on the BX25DLB parts listing diagram see Fig4a ... so can we now confirm this is indeed the pto clutch downstream pressure test point. also for the BX25DLB ? and not just for BX23S Fig2 ?

Question: its looking as if we will be required to strip the rear end of the tractor to lift out the HST to access "PTO clutch valve" for cleaning oil passage , check o rings etc.. that is major!!! came across post talking about cutting away the section with a blow torch Fig4b as a workaround! we could not think of doing any such thing!

Also we can seem to find a adopter to connect the pressure gauge into that R1/8 port to enable us to do a test! if the possibility dose exit... comment please!
Ouch! Can you get the plug out and a 1/8" pipe nipple through that hole in the frame to check the pressure? Past that I'm out of suggestions.

JamRockBX25

Equipment
Kubota BX25DLB
Aug 27, 2020
Jamaica
Ouch! Can you get the plug out and a 1/8" pipe nipple through that hole in the frame to check the pressure? Past that I'm out of suggestions.
Yes but we are struggling to get our hands on a adopter "1/8" pipe nipple" :(.. any suggestion as to where we may purchase item!

DrankTheOrangeKoolaid

Equipment
M6800/M920, Case 780B
Sep 24, 2019
Alberta
Don't know about Jamaica, but a pipe nipple can be found in most hardware stores; like home depot, you don't need an 8" one, but you get the idea. Then you will need a coupler to go from 1/8" to whatever size your pressure gauge is.

JamRockBX25

Equipment
Kubota BX25DLB
Aug 27, 2020
Jamaica
I think the tube on a grease gun is 1/8" pipe. Make sure whatever you use is clean! Good luck.
we did not have much luck re finding a adopter solution today ... we aim to find a way around this tomorrow at some point, ... noted your suggestion, thanks for the continued input much appreciated !

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
That R1/8 is not a tapered pipe thread like NPT used in the US.

It is European and will require a sealing washer to seal it. It is also similar to BSPP THREAD that Jamaica may use from the British influence.

A 1/8 NPT pipe will screw into the hole but will mess the threads up so don’t use a pipe.

Swagelok makes adapters and sealing washers that will adapt that thread to other types like NPT see RS Adapter on page 6 of this link

Parker will have similar adapters I believe.

Last edited:

JamRockBX25

Equipment
Kubota BX25DLB
Aug 27, 2020
Jamaica
That R1/8 is not a tapered pipe thread like NPT used in the US.

It is European and will require a sealing washer to seal it. It is also similar to BSPP THREAD that Jamaica may use from the British influence.

A 1/8 NPT pipe will screw into the hole but will mess the threads up so don’t use a pipe.

Swagelok makes adapters and sealing washers that will adapt that thread to other types like NPT see RS Adapter on page 6 of this link

Parker will have similar adapters I believe.
ok Noted thanks for info...

JamRockBX25

Equipment
Kubota BX25DLB
Aug 27, 2020
Jamaica
Update:

Also we struggle to find a adopter to connect the pressure gauge into that R1/8 port to enable us to do a test! comment please!
So the "grease gun pipe" to the rescue!...thanks to @PoTreeBoy ... a R1/8 adopter rig was made Fig5... to enable a pto clutch downstream pressure test... reading showed 37 PSI with oil temp @35c Fig5a 80% below WHM recommended level! ...so what do we now ?? also while observing oil in the main tank see bubbles we are seeing when we engage the pto Fig5b ...is this normal ?....

Attachments

Last edited:

JamRockBX25

Equipment
Kubota BX25DLB
Aug 27, 2020
Jamaica
So the "grease gun pipe" to the rescue!...thanks to @PoTreeBoy ... a R1/8 adopter rig was made Fig5... to enable a pto clutch downstream pressure test... reading showed 37 PSI with oil temp @35c Fig5a 80% below WHM recommended level! ...so what do we now ?? also while observing oil in the main tank see bubbles we are seeing when we engage the pto Fig5b ...is this normal ?....
we have now surmised the solution our my problem is similar to the solution Mochanic post (PTO not engaging in any position BX2660) Question guys how should we go about "notching the frame" blow touch ? if we did not wish to lift the HST out the frame to get to the "lever and valve"

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
we have now surmised the solution our my problem is similar to the solution Mochanic post (PTO not engaging in any position BX2660) Question guys how should we go about "notching the frame" blow touch ? if we did not wish to lift the HST out the frame to get to the "lever and valve"
Hmm. Figure 5b is looking in the R1/8 port, right? If it wasn't so involved to pull the valve, I'd still recommend that. I can think of scenarios where that frothy oil is causing your problem and it can't be helping the other systems on the tractor. It even supplies the charge to the hst. That air leak needs to be fixed and I'd do that first, hoping that it might fix the PTO issue. I'd verify that air is getting in the system - maybe pull a loader hose. If it's foamy, there must be a leak in the pump suction. Check and repair/replace filter, orings and hoses to fix the leak. Then repeat the pressure test. If it's still low, notch the frame and clean the valve. Good luck.

DrankTheOrangeKoolaid

Equipment
M6800/M920, Case 780B
Sep 24, 2019
Alberta
When you first got the tractor and changed the hydraulic fluid, what did the old fluid look like? Any signs of water contamination? If so, you need to find out how water was getting into the system and give it a good flushing to get as much of the old crud out as possible.

JamRockBX25

Equipment
Kubota BX25DLB
Aug 27, 2020
Jamaica
When you first got the tractor and changed the hydraulic fluid, what did the old fluid look like? Any signs of water contamination? If so, you need to find out how water was getting into the system and give it a good flushing to get as much of the old crud out as possible.
Yes when we picked the unite up at the action in the field we noticed the filling port dipstick was missing on the unit...hence we knew this would be a problem and with some luck we were able to find and purchase a replacement dipstick from a local dealer and placed it in the unit be-four it was shipped to Jamaica...when the unit arrived in Jamaica we carried out the full major service... as there was signs water got into the oil it some what cloudy! hence why we did two complete oil + filter changes within 10-20 hours or so ...this with the express aim to try to flushing the system based on what we saw with the oil and also when we took the oil strainer out the first time it had some slug ..not much to cause any alarm. but that is why we decided to do two quick oil + filter changes!

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Yes...when its disengaged the pressure is 0 psi....
Surprisingly low pressure when engaged.

I am wondering if there is any flow.

Think about doing a test with the port open and no gauge and just cranking the engine but not letting it start to see if there is a flow of oil coming out.

Either there is an internal leak getting rid of the pressure before it can build up to engage the pto or there is actually next to zero flow

Dave

JamRockBX25

Equipment
Kubota BX25DLB
Aug 27, 2020
Jamaica
Hmm. Figure 5b is looking in the R1/8 port, right? If it wasn't so involved to pull the valve, I'd still recommend that. I can think of scenarios where that frothy oil is causing your problem and it can't be helping the other systems on the tractor. It even supplies the charge to the hst. That air leak needs to be fixed and I'd do that first, hoping that it might fix the PTO issue. I'd verify that air is getting in the system - maybe pull a loader hose. If it's foamy, there must be a leak in the pump suction. Check and repair/replace filter, orings and hoses to fix the leak. Then repeat the pressure test. If it's still low, notch the frame and clean the valve. Good luck.
PoTreeBoy sorry some how miss this response...NO Figure 5b is NOT inside the R1/8 port... the image is from the inside of the main oil reservoir ...through the dipstick port hole! see Fig5c ...

Attachments

Last edited:

JamRockBX25

Equipment
Kubota BX25DLB
Aug 27, 2020
Jamaica
Surprisingly low pressure when engaged.

I am wondering if there is any flow.

Think about doing a test with the port open and no gauge and just cranking the engine but not letting it start to see if there is a flow of oil coming out.

Either there is an internal leak getting rid of the pressure before it can build up to engage the pto or there is actually next to zero flow

Dave
ok we though the same so we took off the pressure gauge and surely the oil did not gush out! ...it only slowly steamed out @ the same kind of low pressure the readings are giving! ...also note we rechecked the upstream pressure at the steering wheel controller to ensure there was no change an we are still getting 200PSI... we are confused! ...i am thinking the valve has some blockage... but if so why only when the oil gets HOT! ...as the PTO still works fine at full "toque" when the oils is cold! ...just don't get it!!!

Last edited: