PTO shaft size?

Chapel Hill Vann

Equipment
B2601, bush hog, pallet forks, boom pole, scraper blade
May 1, 2022
Chapel Hill NC
In an earlier post {PTO hookup Question) I was having a problem aligning the PTO shaft with my OLD bush hog splines. I took the shaft off, used rust remover, used a metal brush wheel to remove more rust, sanded the new kubota PTO shaft to remove paint and still the bush hog connection would only slide on about half way.
So, I went out to my old 1963 MF35 and easily slid the connector on with no problem.
I finally had a good idea-measure the size!! I found out that the new Kubota shaft size is 1 3/8" while my old MF shaft is 1 5/16". So, that makes me think that my bush hog female receiver is 1/5/16" alsoNo way that will fit the Kubota with a 1/16" difference.
So, am I correct that the Kubota PTO shaft is indeed 1 3/8"??
Is there such a thing as a PTO reducer/adapter?
Any suggestions?
Thanks again
Vann

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Why not just replace the 1 5/16 yoke with a new 1 3/8 yoke ?
If you are as mechanical as I am you can get just about any mechanic or farm supply to make the swap in about ten minutes.

Reactions: 1 user

Chapel Hill Vann

Equipment
B2601, bush hog, pallet forks, boom pole, scraper blade
May 1, 2022
Chapel Hill NC
Why not just replace the 1 5/16 yoke with a new 1 3/8 yoke ?
If you are as mechanical as I am you can get just about any mechanic or farm supply to make the swap in about ten minutes.

The tractor end of my driveshaft has the female spline part(is this the yoke?) and a universal joint welded to the end of the inner shaft that slides inside the outer shaft that is connected to the gearbox.
So, are you saying that you can cut off the splined female end and weld on a new 1 3/8" end to the existing front section of the driveshaft? Where can you purchase the end piece?
Can I buy just the front half of a drive shaft? I searched and initially only found complete driveshafts.
So, it seems that my real option is to buy a new complete 1 3/8" drive shaft.
any other thoughts?
Thanks
Vann

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
In an earlier post {PTO hookup Question) I was having a problem aligning the PTO shaft with my OLD bush hog splines. I took the shaft off, used rust remover, used a metal brush wheel to remove more rust, sanded the new kubota PTO shaft to remove paint and still the bush hog connection would only slide on about half way.
So, I went out to my old 1963 MF35 and easily slid the connector on with no problem.
I finally had a good idea-measure the size!! I found out that the new Kubota shaft size is 1 3/8" while my old MF shaft is 1 5/16". So, that makes me think that my bush hog female receiver is 1/5/16" alsoNo way that will fit the Kubota with a 1/16" difference.
Any suggestions?
Thanks again
Vann
Something strange here. I have never heard of an 1-5/16 PTO.

After Ferguson split with Ford Ferguson continued to use an 1-1/8 PTO up through the TO30. That is the same PTO used on the Ford-Ferguson 9N/2N series of the same design. It is a SAE standard parallel 6 spline shaft.

There is no SAE standard for an 1-5/16 six spline. The Ford 8N and Ferguson TO35 were the first models to use the new ASAE 1-3/8 PTO which uses the next size up 1-3/8 SAE standard parallel 6 spline.

Does the TO35 perhaps have an over running coupler on the PTO shaft which reduces it down to 1-1/8 for use with older implements that had that size shaft?

In any event IMO if you intend to keep on using the old cutter you would be best served by putting a new standard PTO shaft on it. I would also take a hard look at the TO35 to see whats going on there.

Dan

Reactions: 1 users

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
This is an example of a yoke replacement. It replaces the female splines on the shaft. The cross (shown) is punched out and new yoke put on. I would assume some of the more informed members will be posting after the holiday.

1653992543090.png
1653992728325.png

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Probably best to replace the 'yoke' on the PTO shaft then the implement can be used on any 'modern' tractor.
Buy a 1 3/8 - 1/1/8 reducing sleeve adapter, pin it on the MF. That way you can use any 'modern' implements behind the MF. This adapter is LOT cheaper than finding/buying/installing a 1 /8 PTO shaft for the MF !

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Any suggestions?
Thanks again
Vann
You say it slides on 1/2 way? We had an old Allis Chalmers with the smaller PTO shaft and the 1-3/8 yoke so we used an adapter. When we got the 1957 MF50, we did away with the adapter, thank goodness. So I'm thinking your newer MF35 has the 1-3/8 spline also.

If your yoke was smaller, it wouldn't even start to slide on. They both have six splines, right?

Is your yoke the type with the spring retainer pin? I'm thinking the pin is not retracting quite enough to clear the end of the shaft - maybe your old MF is worn just a little. Soak it good with penetrating oil and work it a few times to get it all cleaned up, then try again.

Reactions: 1 user

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
If the yoke is going on half way, then shaft diameter is not the issue. As the last poster stated, clean and lube the yoke, either the slide pin, or three balls, depending on the style of yoke, is/are not moving far enough. Just out of interest you could try sliding on the shaft without releasing the lock, then release the lock and see if it slides on any farther, if it does not, then the lock is the problem.

Reactions: 3 users