PTO Shaft Safety Cover Problems

Eesquibel

Equipment
L2501 Hst
May 8, 2020
New Mexico
On my new Tarter Rotary Cutter I can’t seem to keep the safety collar locked in on the shaft safety sleeve. Once I start cutting it comes loose right away and works itself down the shaft leaving the yoke exposed. Anyone have any tricks or fixes for this problem? I’m tempted to run it without the safety sleeve because it’s being a real PITA

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I'm not sure I understand the question. My plastic PTO shaft cover has buttons that hold the end in place. It's a challenge to slip it back once the buttons slip into place. There are chains on each end to secure it - one to the mower, one to the tractor. The sleeve doesn't spin, only the shaft. The collar should not permit the end hood to easily slip back on the sleeve.

Eesquibel

Equipment
L2501 Hst
May 8, 2020
New Mexico
I'm not sure I understand the question. My plastic PTO shaft cover has buttons that hold the end in place. It's a challenge to slip it back once the buttons slip into place. There are chains on each end to secure it - one to the mower, one to the tractor. The sleeve doesn't spin, only the shaft. The collar should not permit the end hood to easily slip back on the sleeve.
Sorry I'm new to the game and not familiar with the proper terminology. I guess I'm referring to the "end hood" I cant the the one on the tractor side to stay in place. Mine are tabs that have to be depressed with a screw driver.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
If you get the little tabs aligned with their respective holes they should pop into place kind of making the collar and tube act as one piece. Once in place they are usually somewhat difficult to depress to slide the collar back. Good luck.

avvidclif

Equipment
BX2230 L285
May 12, 2020
Mabank, Tx
Mine got accidentally thrown away about the third time I was trying to hook up and that sleeve wasn't co-operating.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Tarter's web site is no help.

Their parts breakdown shows the pto shaft as one item complete with cover, no breakdown.

Any brand name on the pto cover?

Post some pictures.

Dave

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Did you find replacements or are you operating it without them?
I think when Avvidclif said, "Mine got accidentally thrown away about the third time I was trying to hook up and that sleeve wasn't co-operating." he wasn't interested in finding a replacement, because he discarded it because of his frustration! But I could be wrong.:D

avvidclif

Equipment
BX2230 L285
May 12, 2020
Mabank, Tx
I think when Avvidclif said, "Mine got accidentally thrown away about the third time I was trying to hook up and that sleeve wasn't co-operating." he wasn't interested in finding a replacement, because he discarded it because of his frustration! But I could be wrong.:D
You would be correct.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
You would be correct.
You get entangled in that shaft, you'll wish it was there... If and I say if, you survive it. Go buy a new drive shaft with the shields and use it, unless of course you feel you are invincible. Lots of people (farmers and others) have and lots of people lost fingers, arms, hair and lives.

Been farming for 40 years now and my pto shafts are always covered and safety chained. No exceptions. I still have all my parts and I equate that to the covered shafting.

Even a small tractor has plenty enough power to give you a very, very bad day and it only takes a split second to become an amputee or worse.

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS
You get entangled in that shaft, you'll wish it was there... If and I say if, you survive it. Go buy a new drive shaft with the shields and use it, unless of course you feel you are invincible. Lots of people (farmers and others) have and lots of people lost fingers, arms, hair and lives.

Been farming for 40 years now and my pto shafts are always covered and safety chained. No exceptions. I still have all my parts and I equate that to the covered shafting.

Even a small tractor has plenty enough power to give you a very, very bad day and it only takes a split second to become an amputee or worse.
Very true and a great reminder but damn chilling. I will triple check everything next time. Thanks.