PTO Quick Connect

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
Anyone have first hand experience that can suggest one over the other for ease of use ?
or suggesting a different manufacturer.
Thanks

jimr63

Equipment
M5-091HDC, L47TLB, L4701F, ZD1211-72, GR2120-54, RTV-X1140
Jun 24, 2015
SOMD
Not trying to be a smarta$$, but why add another part that has a potential to break? Connecting a PTO shaft isn't difficult IMHO. Maybe I'm missing something?

Reactions: 1 user

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
Not trying to be a smarta$$, but why add another part that has a potential to break? Connecting a PTO shaft isn't difficult IMHO. Maybe I'm missing something?
Thats why I put the words "ease of use" in bold letters.
With your philosophy why add on any of the hundreds of other accessories that are offered ?
My Pats Quick Hitch have the potential of breakage. Should I remove those as well ?

Last edited:

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
They all work pretty well when new and clean.

I cut the shield boots to give more hand room on the assortment of PTO shafts I have (not many). That little bit extra makes all the difference. Plus cleaning the mating parts well.

I can't speak to any of the "quick couplings", haven't tried any.

Reactions: 1 users

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
They all work pretty well when new and clean.

I cut the shield boots to give more hand room on the assortment of PTO shafts I have (not many). That little bit extra makes all the difference. Plus cleaning the mating parts well.

I can't speak to any of the "quick couplings", haven't tried any.
Being in that physical position to hook them up while being disabled in my right arm and hand, makes this particular task pretty difficult for me. I can disconnect really good, its the hook up thats difficult.
For the price theyre asking I would think they are made with quality material and easy to use idk.
Im leaning toward the PTO Link product based on internet information only.

Last edited:

rjent

Equipment
B7800, BH, FEL, brushhog, tiller, blade, phd, Boxbld, Chpper
Jan 20, 2020
Truth or Consequences, NM
If you keep your splines clean and greased, PTO connection is usually easy.

Do you own a chipper, or any attachment that would have a tendency to "spin off" the coupling. I would be Leary of that coupler for that reason alone.

JMHO

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
If you keep your splines clean and greased, PTO connection is usually easy.
I agree.
Post #5 explains some details as to why its not for me.

Do you own a chipper, or any attachment that would have a tendency to "spin off" the coupling.
The only two pto driven implements I have are a bushhog and a finish mower.

Last edited:

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
This is worth the one minute and seventeen seconds to watch imo.
He explains the procedural use of the product accurately and according to him the steel is three times stronger.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Go to YouTube and search for Harmless Farmer. Watch the video where he hooks up the grain cart. Might change you mind and possibly your life.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Mudball, that connector looks pretty slick! Being of Scandinavian descent, my father suffered with depuytren's contracture pretty badly. Now I've started to show signs of it, especially in my left hand, but it's not too detrimental yet. (only one finger bent back so far but soon will have to consider my options to correct that and stem the progress of the others.)

I sometimes struggle with a couple of my pto connectors of the kind you have to pull the release ring straight back while pushing the connector forward until it locks in place. I could see where this style of adapter could really make things easier for me, too. I'd be interested to hear your reviews if you decide to go with something like that. Thanks for sharing!!
David

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Go to YouTube and search for Harmless Farmer. Watch the video where he hooks up the grain cart. Might change you mind and possibly your life.
First I’ve heard of him. Amazing what he has been able to accomplish.

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
That guy must have been that way for several years.
He's amazing.

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
I sometimes struggle with a couple of my pto connectors of the kind you have to pull the release ring straight back while pushing the connector forward until it locks in place.
Yes, I have the same kind where its difficult to pull back that spring loaded collar in one direction while pushing the pto in the other. It never use to be an issue until after my injury, but such is life. Im just thankful to still be alive.
I'd be interested to hear your reviews if you decide to go with something like that.
Absolutely, and I hope you dont have near the suffering your father endured.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
As jrent mentioned above I found really keeping everything clean and greased helped a ton. I have some nerve damage loss that has affected a couple of fingers in my right hand. When I bought a used Landpride PD15 post hole digger I was unable to connect it.
I ended up removing 1/2 the pto shaft and really looking at the connector. It appeared that the retractable balls weren't retracting so well. Probably was due to the PHD sitting outside for over a year. In any case I first soaked it with Mouse Milk, let it sit over night and then thoroughly greased it.
Bottom line - works easily even with gimpy fingers I have little problems connecting or disconnecting it.

jimr63

Equipment
M5-091HDC, L47TLB, L4701F, ZD1211-72, GR2120-54, RTV-X1140
Jun 24, 2015
SOMD
Being in that physical position to hook them up while being disabled in my right arm and hand, makes this particular task pretty difficult for me. I can disconnect really good, its the hook up thats difficult.
For the price theyre asking I would think they are made with quality material and easy to use idk.
Im leaning toward the PTO Link product based on internet information only.
There’s the part I was missing. My apologies for offending you.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
What I have found that has helped my dad and made it easier for me has been two things.

The first, I use WD Dry Lube on the shaft and the pto connector, including the the push button on mine and the pull back collar on dad's. It has made the operating the connectors easier.

Secondly, I took a white paint pen and marked where the pto should align (I got that tip from Tractor Mike).

Between those two steps, it has made our hooking up the pto shaft easier.

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
There’s the part I was missing. My apologies for offending you.
Absolutely no problem, and I can tell you I didnt lose any sleep over it. Sometimes its just easier to paint with a broad brush.
Next time I post a question, Ill be sure to attach my biography so you won't miss a thing. 😂
but why add another part that has a potential to break?
I hope this was cleared up as well.

Last edited:

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
As jrent mentioned above I found really keeping everything clean and greased helped a ton. I have some nerve damage loss that has affected a couple of fingers in my right hand. When I bought a used Landpride PD15 post hole digger I was unable to connect it.
I ended up removing 1/2 the pto shaft and really looking at the connector. It appeared that the retractable balls weren't retracting so well. Probably was due to the PHD sitting outside for over a year. In any case I first soaked it with Mouse Milk, let it sit over night and then thoroughly greased it.
Bottom line - works easily even with gimpy fingers I have little problems connecting or disconnecting it.
Same problem I was having with mine. The ball bearings were rusted. I fixed that problem and greased the pto shaft really well. However, even when both units were brand new, I had trouble attaching them, but maybe things will work out.

Last edited:

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
What I have found that has helped my dad and made it easier for me has been two things.

The first, I use WD Dry Lube on the shaft and the pto connector, including the the push button on mine and the pull back collar on dad's. It has made the operating the connectors easier.

Secondly, I took a white paint pen and marked where the pto should align (I got that tip from Tractor Mike).

Between those two steps, it has made our hooking up the pto shaft easier.

The WD Dry Lube sounds like a good idea.
As far as shaft alignment, Ive seen that video and its a great idea, but I usually dont have trouble with that, but thanks just the same.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Is the locking pin going to be a problem? Watching the video it appears you would need 2 hands. One to pull the lock and one to twist the shaft.

I have been getting a popup ad for the same idea of a coupler. On this ad the locking pin is not built on. Maybe you could unlock it and then remove the shaft. Thus more of a one handed operation.

Second idea was a something like a clothes pin that after you pull out the lock and slide the clothes pin onto the shaft of the lock to keep it unlocked as you attached/unattached the PTO shaft.

Keep on keepin' on.