PTO Problem

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Okay, I own this one. I connected my PTO shaft for my brush hog type mower. I thought it latched but it didn't. After bringing the mower up to speed it slipped off the PTO drive. The mower continued to spin the shaft. It flew around wildly until the blade slowed and stopped. Of course the plastic shield was damaged but in thrashing around it seems to have put a dent into the PTO tube preventing smooth sliding in and out. A new PTO shaft would be in excess of $300 at the Kubota dealer. A local vendor sold me the inner and outer bare shafts for just over $100. Of course I'll have to do my own cutting and drilling. In the future I'll be more careful checking to ensure the PTO is locked into place. I may also rig some kind of sling to prevent the shaft from dropping and thrashing if it becomes disconnected.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
front ujoint of the read driveshaft of my '73 CJ-5 broke in the city. THAT was 'impressive'.... Cop says move or it'll get towed. before he got back into the cruiser(behgind me..) , I'd dropped the busted drive shaft, locked the hubs and drove away...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
I'm sure it was an attention getter! Be happy the shaft didn't come off the gesr box side! We install loops on our cooling tower driver shafts (some times two), basically it's a riser clamp with two threaded rods. I consider either a 6 or 8 inch clamp to allow enough movementwhen raising/lowering the implement.