PTO output shaft free movement

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, loader, MMM, pallet forks, tooth bar, rear blade, JD 318 w/plow, JD X350
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
I went through the B2650 work shop manual, and I cannot find a simple answer to this question.

I've learned that PTO gear backlash is normal and produces the "clanking/vibration/rattling noise I was concerned about. Thank you to those who replied to my question.

I would now like to know how much free rotation is acceptable in the PTO output shaft. I assume that this is dependent upon the amount of backlash present in the gears, and would be a good indicator of whether or not the backlash is within spec. I have to believe that too much backlash is not a good thing.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I don't recall any specification in the WSM but I don't read a B2650 book every day either. Do you have your WSM handy to look through?

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, loader, MMM, pallet forks, tooth bar, rear blade, JD 318 w/plow, JD X350
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
I don't recall any specification in the WSM but I don't read a B2650 book every day either. Do you have your WSM handy to look through?
Hello lugbolt. I only have an online version of the workshop manual, and it is not the easiest to browse through, but I did look. I did not find a specific reference to a backlash spec. I would think that it would be there. If anyone can point out the page(s), I would be most appreciative.

My PTO output shaft free turns about 24 degrees before it "clanks" to a stop. That sounds like a lot of movement to me.