PTO or engine trash pump?

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I have to pump out the muck in my pond. 5 gallon buckets hauled to the FEL do not cut it. I could do 10 FELS a day for a few years. I get filthy with the crap splashing.

Thinking PTO powered diaphragm trash pump say 3 or four inches capable of a 15' rise. Thoughts/suggestions?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Re: PTO trash pump

Depending on what kind of muck and where you want to put it this idea might or might not be helpful, but a friend of mine has a pond heavily fertilized from runoff from neighbor's lawns etc that grows too much duckweed etc. She got an electric pump of some sort installed and uses the water and muck to water her veggie garden which is up hill from the pond on sandy ground. Any water flows through the sand and back into the water table of the pond a little cleaner. The duckweed she gathers off the surface with a scoop and uses for mulch. She had the water tested before using on her veggies etc.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia

Depending on what kind of muck and where you want to put it this idea might or might not be helpful, but a friend of mine has a pond heavily fertilized from runoff from neighbor's lawns etc that grows too much duckweed etc. She got an electric pump of some sort installed and uses the water and muck to water her veggie garden which is up hill from the pond on sandy ground. Any water flows through the sand and back into the water table of the pond a little cleaner. The duckweed she gathers off the surface with a scoop and uses for mulch. She had the water tested before using on her veggies etc.
I have about 400 yards of muck to move and about 200 of sandy silt. I want to pump it in to a low lying area and fill it. It currently floods and then has the water sit for a few weeks festering and breeding mosquitoes.

I already spent two weeks with a square rake removing dense lily pads from a few hundred feet of shore line, let dry in piles for a few weeks. 16 over flowing FEL loads. I then followed up with RoundUp along the edge to get the ones embedded in the bank.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

How often are you going to use this?
PTO pumps are rather pricey.
If it's a one time use, rent a pump!

JohnnyFbomb

Apr 9, 2016
Canada, B.C.

Have you tried Craigslist for a used gas powered one? If you have some fab skills, you could take the engine off and turn it in to a PTO pump.

Or use it as is.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa

The problem as I see it you would have to keep moving the suction end other wise you suck a hole so big and then only water after that with very little trash or in your case muck.. Is there any way of lowering the water level ,opening the day to let it all out then let it dry up a bunch and then use the FEL to remove it. other wise this is on the lower end of the PTO trash pumps

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...&type=search&gclid=CKPPsea_xM0CFcYehgodK6EG1A

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia

Probable once every couple of years, once this huge accumulation is done.

I get a very regular breeze here and all the material gets blown to one end, eventually it sinks. If I get it while it is 'fresh', I can pitchfork bucks worth. Once that is gone, there is the muck.

Renting is so close to the price of buying and it would put me under pressure to get the job done as every day costs me money.

I would not simply toss the suction line out there. I'd be there in waders constantly moving the suction line and keeping it in pure muck/silt and not in clear water.

You'd think a PTO powered one would be cheaper than one with its' own engine.

I also question the BX25D PTO power even being able to run it. IIRC, the BX25D has 17Hp at the PTO.

Loos like yet another engine to deal with may be in the stars............

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA

17 HP is kinda low HP, to move much. I'd rent a big one, for a day or week, and you only have to deal with it for a short time...:D:D

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin

In my experience dealing with the muck in water jet tanks, the diaphragm pump would be my first choice. Out of curiosity, I looked up some PTO driven ones and a decent one was around $3600. Not sure what the hp requirements are. And you're seeing the big picture right. Constantly moving the suction end around will be required.

That being said, how big is your pond? Could you hire an excavator to come in and clean it out while you sit in a chair downing a cold one? Just some food for thought.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia

Where's Daren, he's the pump Dr.
That is what I need!:)

Renting puts too much pressure to 'get it done', especially for a job I have never done before, have sketchy information about and where weather can play a huge part of the puzzle. I'd rather it take me 7 days spread out over two months working at my own pace than two days of intensive work where each day ends with five Vicodin. I do have a few neighbors in the commercial heavy construction business that are able to rent things for 10% of what I'd as a stupid consumer has to pay but, I am not keen on taking advantage of people that are not best friends. A bottle of Makers Mark is just not an adequate thank you to a person you 'just know' and imposed on.

My concern about small pumps is pine cones. Can a 2" pump chew them up and spit them out? Will they clog the suction hose? Small sticks and leaf clumps? I could handle having a big bucket and if the tip of the suction pipe clogged with debris, pull it off and drop it in the bucket, assuming that is feasible.

I know there is no rock (at worse, sand like silt, tons of fools gold too!), except at the very bottom and a "U" shaped bar at the end of the suction hose would keel me away from 'rock bottom'. I've tried digging with a regular spade and it is near impenetrable except with a BH.

A $600 pump and $300 worth of hose is acceptable.

Draining the lake is not going to happen, probably. One neighbor that also lives on the lake was to expand it by excavating out about one acre down 15', but they do not have the money ($50K). Talk was if/when they do that, as part of the job, they'd dredge the entire (bulldoze actually) lake, using all the dirt and crap from the bottom to fill in a field down near the river. It floods every year up to three feet deep, and the rough calculation has it this fill would bring the field up about four feet. When we get severe weather, it is such that the entire lake could be filled in just two days of a tropical downpour, which we get a few times a year.

Keep the thoughts coming, all are greatly appreciated. I am performing an appendectomy with a butter knife and a bottle of Gorilla Glue here.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

How about you posting some pictures of what you have, and what you'd like it to look like when you're done, and where you going to pump the material?

Might give someone a clearer idea of what to suggest.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
PTO trash pump

First, what are you trying to move exactly for "muck"?

If it's just muck (fine silt), maybe some half disintegrated leaves and such, small rock (size of pebbles), then you have a couple options. (Notice I didn't say sticks) Sticks will need to be removed by hand, since they can clog the impeller on a trash pump, or stab a diaphragm on the diaphragm pumps.

You can go with a double diaphragm pump,

Or vacuum assisted trash pump

But keep in mind. No pump you can get your hands on whether it's renting or buying will pump silt and sludge on it's own. The only pump I know of that will handle and pump sludge are the vacuum trucks that suck out septic tanks, and Porta potties. Anything you use, your gonna need to mix the sludge with water in order to get it thinned down considerably to pump with out clogging either the pump or your hoses. Which if you have a clog, it's very labor intensive to clean them back out ;) And a destroyed hose is costly when renting, since they will charge you for it.

I have some customers that drain and clean out frack ponds, and then fill them in for the oil companies. What they usually do is drain the ponds down to where a couple guys can get out there in waders. Then to get rid of the silt and sludge on the bottom. They neck down the discharge side of the pump to 2" so they have a hose light enough for a couple guys to handle and move it around. They then blast the water around the bottom of the pond to loosen up the silt and muck, and to get it to mix with water. They then move the 2" line to the suction side of the pump, and suck the stuff off the bottom, and pump it into trucks or tanks.

Now the simplest and easier way to get rid of your muck on the bottom of the pond that the farmers do around here ;)

Pump the pond down completely. Then have a track hoe scoop the crud out :D

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
PTO trash pump

That is what I need!:)

Renting puts too much pressure to 'get it done', especially for a job I have never done before, have sketchy information about and where weather can play a huge part of the puzzle. I'd rather it take me 7 days spread out over two months working at my own pace than two days of intensive work where each day ends with five Vicodin. I do have a few neighbors in the commercial heavy construction business that are able to rent things for 10% of what I'd as a stupid consumer has to pay but, I am not keen on taking advantage of people that are not best friends. A bottle of Makers Mark is just not an adequate thank you to a person you 'just know' and imposed on.

My concern about small pumps is pine cones. Can a 2" pump chew them up and spit them out? Will they clog the suction hose? Small sticks and leaf clumps? I could handle having a big bucket and if the tip of the suction pipe clogged with debris, pull it off and drop it in the bucket, assuming that is feasible.

I know there is no rock (at worse, sand like silt, tons of fools gold too!), except at the very bottom and a "U" shaped bar at the end of the suction hose would keel me away from 'rock bottom'. I've tried digging with a regular spade and it is near impenetrable except with a BH.

A $600 pump and $300 worth of hose is acceptable.

Draining the lake is not going to happen, probably. One neighbor that also lives on the lake was to expand it by excavating out about one acre down 15', but they do not have the money ($50K). Talk was if/when they do that, as part of the job, they'd dredge the entire (bulldoze actually) lake, using all the dirt and crap from the bottom to fill in a field down near the river. It floods every year up to three feet deep, and the rough calculation has it this fill would bring the field up about four feet. When we get severe weather, it is such that the entire lake could be filled in just two days of a tropical downpour, which we get a few times a year.

Keep the thoughts coming, all are greatly appreciated. I am performing an appendectomy with a butter knife and a bottle of Gorilla Glue here.

Ok, I was under the impression from the first posts that it was a pond :eek:

2" pumps are gonna be two small for what you are trying to do. The pine cones would just bunch up against the impeller and clog the pump. Your gonna need something that will handle a minimum of three inch solids for the pine cone to travel through with out clogging. So, a 6" trash pump at a minimum. And if your talking to someone and they tell you that an impeller will chew up a pine cone, I'll call BS every time ;)

About 10 years ago, I had a vendor who gave us an impeller they designed to "chop" solids before going through a pump. :rolleyes: Not sure how they tested it, but in real world settings they failed miserably. They clogged faster, since the parts that were designed to chop would catch stuff faster.

Diaphragm pumps probably gonna give you fits with the pine cones. They use a rectangular rubber flapper on either end of the chamber to seal off for the suction and discharge stroke. Pine cones, small sticks, or trash usually will get caught in the flapper causing it to lose it's prime. Then you'll have to take it apart to get to the flapper to clear it.

One of the little 3" centrifugal pumps might work.

But you would need to get it close to where your working, since they only have around a 10ft suction lift before they stall out and run out of oomph. Again though, the pine cones would be an issue. And you would need to thin out the muck. Another issue, is once they suck any air, they take a bit to pick a prime back up.

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ

That being said, how big is your pond? Could you hire an excavator to come in and clean it out while you sit in a chair downing a cold one? Just some food for thought.
That's what the wife's uncle did at his place in the UP Michigan, don't remember what he paid, but I know at the time it sounded reasonable to me.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia

Ok, I was under the impression from the first posts that it was a pond :eek:

2" pumps are gonna be two small for what you are trying to do. The pine cones would just bunch up against the impeller and clog the pump. Your gonna need something that will handle a minimum of three inch solids for the pine cone to travel through with out clogging. So, a 6" trash pump at a minimum. And if your talking to someone and they tell you that an impeller will chew up a pine cone, I'll call BS every time ;)

About 10 years ago, I had a vendor who gave us an impeller they designed to "chop" solids before going through a pump. :rolleyes: Not sure how they tested it, but in real world settings they failed miserably. They clogged faster, since the parts that were designed to chop would catch stuff faster.

Diaphragm pumps probably gonna give you fits with the pine cones. They use a rectangular rubber flapper on either end of the chamber to seal off for the suction and discharge stroke. Pine cones, small sticks, or trash usually will get caught in the flapper causing it to lose it's prime. Then you'll have to take it apart to get to the flapper to clear it.

One of the little 3" centrifugal pumps might work.

But you would need to get it close to where your working, since they only have around a 10ft suction lift before they stall out and run out of oomph. Again though, the pine cones would be an issue. And you would need to thin out the muck. Another issue, is once they suck any air, they take a bit to pick a prime back up.
The rise from the absolute bottom to where the pump would sit is a at most, six feet, probably four feet. Horizontal run might be at most, forty feet. Then rise from the pump to where I want to discharge might be another ten feet max from the pump, probably a lot less and possibly 100 feet horizontal.

The muck is in a near liquid state. That is 75% of what needs to go The other 25% is sand and fine inorganics (what settled from the feeder stream. If the suction end were worked at an angle, the water passing might also draw in the solids. Could some sort of screen be on the suction end limiting max size to say 2" on a 3" suction hose? That would prevent clogs, right? I'd just have to pull debris off the end from time to time and drop in a bucket. Does that make any sense?

Can you point me to a good source for a 3" Pump so I can get some data?

I also spoke with a neighbor in the concrete biz. Her told me of a industrial pump supplier a friend of his worked at. He said them might give (rent) me a new one to rent and then if it did the job, I could buy it, applying rental cost to the purchase price. That is how he buys most of his equipment. 3/2 of the time, he likes what he is given and buys it, as would I.
We discussed sizes and he said while a 6" would bang the job out in a couple of days, due to the weight, I'd need a crew to help me with the piping. So I have to stay small as it will be a one old guy party.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas

That little 3" pump on the picture retails for around $1,500. :eek: Rental would run you around $300 a week, plus usually $20 a hose for a 20 ft suction, and a 50ft discharge. They will usually throw a strainer in for free. Stay away from rental purchase agreements though. They dont depreciate enough for the term of the rental to save any money. It's the same as leasing a car, and then buying it after the lease is up ;) Those little trash pumps are usually used and abused from a rental place. So buyer beware ;) Remember you have "run it like you own it", "run it like you stole it", and the worst is "run it like you rented it" :eek::p:rolleyes: We all know how we get when we rent a car and have the insurance on it :p:p It's the same with equipment ;)

But if you check harbor freight, agrisupply, northern tools, ect...... you can pick them up from $300 on up. They usually come with a strainer. Just stay away from the real cheap ones that say "nylon trash pump" in the description. I would think, a nice mid grade one, would serve you well for what you are doing.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

My question is this, Where are you going to move the water and muck to? :confused:

Last edited:

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia

That little 3" pump on the picture retails for around $1,500. :eek: Rental would run you around $300 a week, plus usually $20 a hose for a 20 ft suction, and a 50ft discharge. They will usually throw a strainer in for free. Stay away from rental purchase agreements though. They dont depreciate enough for the term of the rental to save any money. It's the same as leasing a car, and then buying it after the lease is up ;) Those little trash pumps are usually used and abused from a rental place. So buyer beware ;) Remember you have "run it like you own it", "run it like you stole it", and the worst is "run it like you rented it" :eek::p:rolleyes: We all know how we get when we rent a car and have the insurance on it :p:p It's the same with equipment ;)

But if you check harbor freight, agrisupply, northern tools, ect...... you can pick them up from $300 on up. They usually come with a strainer. Just stay away from the real cheap ones that say "nylon trash pump" in the description. I would think, a nice mid grade one, would serve you well for what you are doing.
My acceptable purchase budget for the pump is about $600 (acceptable to the wife) and then a few hundred more for piping.
Yeah, I read a few warnings about cheapos with nylon impellers.
Suggestion on one in the $600 range?

My question is this, Where are you going to move the water and muck to? :confused:
I have a low area that in heavy rain, fills with water, about 1/2 acre I'd like to fill it in (so it does not fill in but runs off). I've been dumping organic and inorganic material in it for 15 years. Plenty of room.
There is a area far from where I'll be pumping into that is filled with rock and a drain tile and filter fabric that drains the area back to the pond. So I'll be pumping in one area, the water will filter through all the existing ground (about 18" of wood from a chipper that is 20' wide) material and filter out.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas

My acceptable purchase budget for the pump is about $600 (acceptable to the wife) and then a few hundred more for piping.
Yeah, I read a few warnings about cheapos with nylon impellers.
Suggestion on one in the $600 range.
I'm a Honda pump and generator dealer :p I would say I could make you a great deal on the $1500 honda :p:p Slightly used rental :eek: :rolleyes:

Actually, I had a customer in a pinch, run down and buy one of the $300 3" pumps from tractor supply and had really good luck with it. Multiquip is pretty good and uses the honda motor. But probably over your budget. Stay away from Tsurumi. They use a Honda motor, but the pump ends garbage.

Most of the different brands are pretty much identical on the pump ends of those smaller pumps. So as long as you stay away from the nylon impellor, you should be good ;) The nylon impellers are for clean water only and any course material (rocks, sand, ect...) will wear it out pretty fast.