PTO in Neutral?

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
I have a B2650hsdc that I recently started using the rear PTO on a wood chipper. My question is, is there a way to put the PTO into a neutral position, so that when I’m trying to connect the PTO shaft to the chipper it can be rotated to align the splined shaft? It is a real pain to rotate the 200 pound flywheel on the chipper to get the splines lined up. I’ve tried several combinations on the PTO levers and don’t seem to be able to get a neutral position.

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Hmm. Pretty sure I rotated pto on mine. Maybe put transmission in neutral as well? Can’t remember at the moment

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I just looked at the dwgs online and it looks like the 'PTO shifter' should mechanically disengage the PTO shaft from the PTO clutch.
I agree though you should be able to freely spin the PTO shaft ,every tractor I've ever had, you could.

beckmurph

Equipment
Kubota LX2610TLB/Woods finish mower/woods rotary cutter/
Aug 23, 2012
catlettsburg, ky
Put your pto selector in the mid pto only slot. The farthest to the front slot.
If that doesn’t rotate, slide the selector between the front selector slots and try to rotate the pto shaft.

WITH THE ENGINE OFF!!

Reactions: 1 users

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
I believe you should select the Mid-PTO (only) and Neutral transmission to free the rear PTO. I have an SU (no Mid-PTO) so my PTO shaft is never free.

I rotate the attachment's PTO shaft to mate with the Tractor PTO - easy to do on rotary cutter and spreader. However, the finish mower is another story; there I use a PTO wrench ($20). I mount the PTO shaft to the tractor, and then I connect to the finish mower using the PTO wrench. It only adds about 1 minute to hook up time.

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I just looked at the dwgs online and it looks like the 'PTO shifter' should mechanically disengage the PTO shaft from the PTO clutch.
I agree though you should be able to freely spin the PTO shaft ,every tractor I've ever had, you could.
Different tractor, but with my BX2200 I had a similar issue when putting my MMM back on after spring maintenance.

I did find a position of the selector lever, somewhere between one of the three choices...not sure which it was...I have front-mid-both sections...and the PTO shaft then moved freely.

Maybe the solution is just trying different selector lever positions...worked for me.

DeepWoods

Equipment
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
Put your pto selector in the mid pto only slot. The farthest to the front slot.
If that doesn’t rotate, slide the selector between the front selector slots and try to rotate the pto shaft.

WITH THE ENGINE OFF!!
After playing with it after my OP, I found that moving the PTO selector to the mid PTO only position I can rotate the rear PTO shaft about a quarter revolution. All other levers have no affect on rotation, reguardless of position. The quarter revolution is enough for me to get the PTO shaft of the chipper aligned. Problem Solved, thanks for all the replies😉

DeepWoods

Equipment
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
I believe you should select the Mid-PTO (only) and Neutral transmission to free the rear PTO. I have an SU (no Mid-PTO) so my PTO shaft is never free.

I rotate the attachment's PTO shaft to mate with the Tractor PTO - easy to do on rotary cutter and spreader. However, the finish mower is another story; there I use a PTO wrench ($20). I mount the PTO shaft to the tractor, and then I connect to the finish mower using the PTO wrench. It only adds about 1 minute to hook up time.

This looks like it would have solved my problem if I hadnt found the correct lever positions. Something to keep in mind though as it might be an easy solution as well

DeepWoods

Equipment
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
Not sure how I got to this posting that was from last summer, but it is discussed again in detail as to the same problem. Thought linking them together might help with others that have this problem.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
OK, I'm curious to know WHAT or WHY the PTO shaft doesn't freely spin when not engage... If it isn't 'free' , that means it's 'connected' to 'something'......??

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
From the BX23S manual:
Screenshot_20220501-143606_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

On the BX series, and perhaps others with hydraulic clutch PTOs, there is a spring powered brake to arrest drift of the PTO.

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
I could not figure out from the WSM transmission disassembly, how the PTO's are selected. But it appears to me that since the brake engages the selected PTO to stop it as the clutch disengages, then the "unselected" PTO is not engaged to the clutch nor the brake and therefore should be free to be spun by hand. Does that make sense to you guys?

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
I see it.
Screenshot_20220501-220136_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

See how the rear most gear is in dashed lines? That is actually the alternate position of the "middle" gear. It slides between three positions: forward, rearward, and middle. The middle position bridges the two intermediate shafts which would be both PTOs powered simultaneously. They should be free when the other is selected.

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
I see it.
View attachment 79260
See how the rear most gear is in dashed lines? That is actually the alternate position of the "middle" gear. It slides between three positions: forward, rearward, and middle. The middle position bridges the two intermediate shafts which would be both PTOs powered simultaneously. They should be free when the other is selected.
I see the slider gear now and the groove for the fork. Thanks!

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
I had read somewhere that the BX had a 'pto brake' but it never occurred to me to wonder if it would make the pto shaft harder to line up. Sounds like a workaround has been discovered, though.

Makes me wonder.. would an overrunning clutch attachment for the pto shaft be easily enough turned by hand to bypass this issue? Probably not a valid reason to buy one, but it begs the thought and i've never seen or touched one personally.

EDIT: Whoops, looks like that question is answered explicitly (yes, it works) in post #5 of the thread linked above. Well, now i know..

JOLJ

Equipment
L4701 Tractor with LA765 loader & BH92 Ba, RTR1274 tiller, RCR172 Rotary cutter,
Jul 3, 2023
South Carolina
I have a small L4701 Kubota, bought in 2020.
I have a twist button, no mid range PTO CONTROLS.
So how do I get the 6 spline shaft to rotate by hand?

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
FYI My tractor only give you about a quarter turn each way on the PTO. They don't all spin freely in neutral.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I have a small L4701 Kubota, bought in 2020.
I have a twist button, no mid range PTO CONTROLS.
So how do I get the 6 spline shaft to rotate by hand?
You probably can't. Like many tractors with hydraulic PTO clutches, there's a spring activated brake that engages when the clutch disengages.