PTO grinding L3800

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Please, some questions for those who have split their machines.

It looks that the transmission case is held by eight stud-washer-nut combinations. Splitting at this plane, does the bearing holder stay with the front of the tractor, and the transmission spacer stay with the back transmission case?

To get to the spring on the PTO countershaft (front), how does one do that? Is it as simple as removing the bolt holding the cam clutch, pulling the cam clutch off the splined shaft?

Back transmission case, does the transmission spacer need to come off to get to the PTO shaft cam clutch? Does the entire PTO shaft need to come out to grab the cam clutch?

Thanks for any details.

Boatman

Equipment
Kubota L2800, Kubota BX1870
Nov 26, 2016
Mill Spring, NC, US
Please, some questions for those who have split their machines.

It looks that the transmission case is held by eight stud-washer-nut combinations. Splitting at this plane, does the bearing holder stay with the front of the tractor, and the transmission spacer stay with the back transmission case?

To get to the spring on the PTO countershaft (front), how does one do that? Is it as simple as removing the bolt holding the cam clutch, pulling the cam clutch off the splined shaft?

Back transmission case, does the transmission spacer need to come off to get to the PTO shaft cam clutch? Does the entire PTO shaft need to come out to grab the cam clutch?

Thanks for any details.

I split my 2800 as seen in the pic. The WSM has you start further ahead and remove parts until you reach this spot. I was told splitting here makes it more difficult to line up at reassembly. I didn't really have any issues.

The front cam is bolted to the shaft and once removed the spring comes right off. The rear cam slides off without removing anything else. The shaft does not need to be removed.

If you look through my thread I linked above you will see my solution for getting the spline collar on the lower shaft aligned.

20211212_133524.jpg

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Boatman

Thanks for your reply and the documentation in your thread for your own tractor.

I'm sure that saxon will be studying it.

saxon

Equipment
B1550, BX2230, G2160
Sep 29, 2011
Pelzer, SC
So, the PTO has its own clutch, which is a pair of slipper cams??
Is there a second clutch for the rest of the tractors functions??

saxon

Equipment
B1550, BX2230, G2160
Sep 29, 2011
Pelzer, SC
Mr. Boatman,
When you did the cam job, did you find a lot of metal shavings in the oil?
And did you go back with new oil, or strain and use the originl oil since it had low hours on it, and put on new filters?