PTO extender

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Didn't know what I didn't know. I am sure this was obvious to some of you years ago,
For years I have been busting my knuckles with my PTO. The ROPS frame encloses the shaft and leaves very little room. If the push button release was not just right it was a fight.
I have must have walked past the PTO extensions in the tractor shop dozens of times but never knew what they were and no labels on the shelf. I know now.
I may still drag my knuckles when I walk but the new extension is GREAT.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Just better make 1000% sure the PTO isn't too long or you'll be in for a costly repair!

Biker1mike

Equipment
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Just better make 1000% sure the PTO isn't too long or you'll be in for a costly repair!
Wolfman,
Can you expand on your comment ? The extender adds about three inches to the shaft.
This dealer has been selling Kubota for as long as I can remember. I gave him the tractor model and transmission type and asked specifically if this would work.
I have not engaged the pto yet. What should I look for ?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If the PTO shaft on the implement side is too long when collapsed, you lower the implement it will shove the PTO right through the transmission of the tractor.

So you must make sure at whatever position the implement is in where the PTO shaft would be the shortest, make sure you still can still collapse it slightly more.

Reactions: 1 user

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I trim my PTO shafts so that I can de-couple the shaft from the tractor at any point on the 3PH range of motion. This ensures enough travel to avoid damage to the tractor.

Biker1mike

Equipment
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
If the PTO shaft on the implement side is too long when collapsed, you lower the implement it will shove the PTO right through the transmission of the tractor.

So you must make sure at whatever position the implement is in where the PTO shaft would be the shortest, make sure you still can still collapse it slightly more.
Thank you ! The shaft from the mower deck should have plenty of play left. When I take it out of winter storage I will remeasure the lengths and cut if needed before I grease them.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Thank you ! The shaft from the mower deck should have plenty of play left. When I take it out of winter storage I will remeasure the lengths and cut if needed before I grease them.
In addition to Wolfman's advise, keep your eye on the extender.

Such devices add tolerances to the rotating assembly and do wear. Over time you may find your PTO shaft wobbling, throwing the shaft out of balance.

I do not use extenders for this reason and because I have seen them fail.