PTO and 3-point lift

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
Really basic question here - just wanting to confirm: PTO attachments (like a tiller) can still be raised, right?

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Yes. The PTO drive shaft should have u-joints at either end to accomodate raising the attachment.

BUT!

It is important that the driveshaft be of the correct length. If the shaft is too long, it will bottom out as it telescopes inward, causing damage. If the shaft is too short, it may come apart as it telescopes outward, causing catastrophic damage if it is rotating at the time. You need the happy medium where it cannot bottom out at closest approach, but has sufficient overlap at furthest extension.

Reactions: 1 user

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
As a general guideline, yes. Make sure that the driveline is the correct length to ensure that it doesn't damage your tractor PTO shaft and keep the universal joint angles within the manufacturer's recommendations.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
100% make sure the PTO shaft is not too long!
I can't tell you have many cases I've had to replace from the PTO shaft pushing right into the tractor when it's lowered.

random

Equipment
Nov 2, 2020
NC
Ok so pretty unanimous consent on the shaft, which leads to the next concern: This will be on a piece of rental equipment. Any additional suggestions given that?

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I would not connect any piece of rental equipment to my tractor's hydraulics. But as far as the PTO and 3PH, again, the driveshaft length is critical. Also, make sure the weight of the attachment is within the allowed limits for your particular machine.

random

Equipment
Nov 2, 2020
NC
I would not connect any piece of rental equipment to my tractor's hydraulics. But as far as the PTO and 3PH, again, the driveshaft length is critical. Also, make sure the weight of the attachment is within the allowed limits for your particular machine.
Not really understanding that first bit. Do you consider PTO and hitch to be hydraulics?

I'm not really keen on spending $2000 on something I may only need once.

No problem on the weight, but I don't know how to tell in advance of renting it about the shaft.

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Not really understanding that first bit. Do you consider PTO and hitch to be hydraulics?

I'm not really keen on spending $2000 on something I may only need once.

No problem on the weight, but I don't know how to tell in advance of renting it about the shaft.
No, the PTO and the 3PH are both mechanical connections to the tractor. No special problems with that. However, some attachments have additional functions that require hydraulic hose from the tractor to power features on the attachment. I would not run the risk of contaminating the fluid in my tractor with whatever the last fellow that rented the attachment was using.

Most especially if your tractor has a hydrostatic transmission.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
The rental dealer should be ready to help you size the shaft for what you need. If not, go to a different dealer. Is your life worth saving a few bucks? Most of the shaft length issue is based on the geometry of the 3PH lift system. If you have done the fitment right, you should be golden if you own the shaft. If you do not own the shaft, cutting it usually inflames some tempers and costs money. If the shaft is cut to length for a tractor that normally has a quick hitch system on it, it's going to be longer than one cut for a tractor with standard lift system. Quick hitches usually add about 4 inches to the effective length of the radius arms (lift arms) which totally changes the length requirements. Usually the added length of the arms is more than the shaft will tolerate if it's cut for a machine without a quick hitch, or conversely, more than likely to harm your tractor if it is fit for a quick hitch, and you don't have one.

You need to either own your own shaft for this, or make damn sure the dealer will help you check the fitment. If he gets a puzzled look on his face, call his competitor, immediately. Run away, fast.