Pro's and con's of front snow blade's

Dae06

May 10, 2018
Minnesota
I am referring to a snow blade with a quick attach (skid loader attachment) to the loader arms vs. the blade that attaches to the frame of the tractor (B2763).

I believe if I were to get the blade that attaches to the loader arms I would need a 3rd remote for the tilt function. But if I were to get the blade that attaches the frame, the whole system get quite expensive, correct?

Please feel free to give options and advice.

Thanks

Last edited:

goldenpsp

Equipment
BX 23S
Nov 25, 2017
Baltimore MD
gosh,

I'm certainly no expert but I'll bite anyway. Here would be what I consider my pros and cons.

Pros

1. Potentially cheaper. I imagine you could even find ones with a manual tilt function so you don't need a third function.
2. Easier to install/remove. Although given your location I would imagine leaving it all winter would be the norm. This is more important for me, as we don't get nearly the snowfall so I use the bucket in the winter as well for other tasks.
3. smaller footprint to store.

Cons,

1. Might not work as seamlessly as a dedicated plow setup.
2. Probably sticks out further than a dedicated plow setup. Harder to get into tight places.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I am referring to a snow blade with a quick attach (skid loader attachment) to the loader arms vs. the blade that attaches to the frame of the tractor (B2763).

I believe if I were to get the blade that attaches to the loader arms I would need a 3rd remote for the tilt function. But if I were to get the blade that attaches the frame, the whole system get quite expensive, correct?

Please feel free to give options and advice.

Thanks
I ordered the 72" hydraulically angled quick attach snow/loose materials blade with my B3350.

Yes, you will need a third function valve. The FEL mounted blade is available with manual angle. Not sure if the under frame mounted blade is. I suppose you could operate the under frame mounted blade from the tractor joy stick without remotes or a third function valve if your tractor is not FEL equipped.

The FEL mounted blade is actually less expensive than is the under frame mounted unit.

More significantly, the under frame mount structure must be removed in order to mount a MMM, whereas, the FEL mounts do not interfere with a MMM.

The advantage of the non FEL mounted blade, aside from a somewhat lower cost, is that the blade mounts a bit closer to the tractor resulting in a bit better maneuverability.

Of course, the FEL and attached blade will result in significantly more weight on the front axle and more unloading of the rear tires when lifted.

SDT

Last edited:

Dae06

May 10, 2018
Minnesota
Thanks,

Good info. I actually don't have any tight spaces and my driveway is elevated and having the (FEL mounted) snow blade a bit further in front may help in pushing the snow further over the sides. Also I would be able to pile up the snow much higher with the lift arms.

I may be leaning towards the FEL mounted blade. I can be easily convinced to change my mind if someone comes up with something I have not thought of.

Is there an concern about putting too much force on the lift arms? I'm guessing it shouldn't be any different that with the loader bucket on.

Yes, I need to plant grass. :D

Attachments

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
I have had occasions to change blade and bucket doing a job, the blade made it much easier to smooth out dirt after using the bucket to move the dirt. Back dragging the blade in float does a good job. A 5 minute change is pretty cool with the SSQA system. I had the snow blade on all winter but now that spring is here I see where I will/can be changing back and forth depending on need. My blade is a 72" manual and with the FEL you can tilt it up and down to get the best result. Manually adjusting the angle of the blade is simple and I found that I kept it at the most extreme angle most of the winter.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
In cases like this it helps to note which tractor your wanting to use it on. ;)

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Thanks,

Good info. I actually don't have any tight spaces and my driveway is elevated and having the (FEL mounted) snow blade a bit further in front may help in pushing the snow further over the sides. Also I would be able to pile up the snow much higher with the lift arms.

I may be leaning towards the FEL mounted blade. I can be easily convinced to change my mind if someone comes up with something I have not thought of.

Is there an concern about putting too much force on the lift arms? I'm guessing it shouldn't be any different that with the loader bucket on.

Yes, I need to plant grass. :D
No need to worry about excessive weight on the FEL from the QA snow blade.

SDT

2 Bears

Feb 27, 2018
PA
I got the hydraulic FEL 60" blade on my BX23S, it feels heavy on my BX compared to an empty bucket. But youll have a bit more weight in your B.

I didnt get to push snow with it yet as we took delivery after most of the snow was done for the year. I did however try it out with some grading tasks and i have no doubt it will handle our typical winters here. I like how simple it attaches, makes it useful for more than just snow.

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
Prefer snow pusher, effective, no hydraulics necessary, pd 1200 $ for mine, 550 lbs,
I used such a pusher for several years, a 5' Pro-Tech, on my previous smaller Kubota. Instant on and off, so you could easily free up the FEL. I also paid a bit over 1k as I recall. It worked fine, and is bullet proof.Several hundred pounds, 2 or 3 anyway, my little B2150 handled it just fine, the weight is welcome during the winter.

I will sell it for $350.00, a spring time sale (WINTER IS COMING) and pay the freight to the buyer! Up to $100.00 anyway, as long as it's shipped via Fastenal. A great bargain for the forward thinking tractor owner, yeah I know it's spring.

My new L3301 has a hydraulic angle QA snow blade, and I recommend that extra cost for the angle change as it gets old quick changing it by hand. The hyd bigger blade, and the bigger tractor, is a lot more dough but it also moves a lot more snow, and I get serious snow up here. If your needs are less, my pusher would work great for you (sales pitch, but true story). I don't need it anymore, and I hate to have things just laying around I'd rather sell it cheap.

Attachments

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I have a hydraulic snow blade I got from QuickAttach and it works great. I have a gravel drive that runs 1000' and when it is thawed out is a tough plow so I use my grader blade backwards to push the snow aside, but when frozen, no problem with the snow plow blade.

Attachments

Dae06

May 10, 2018
Minnesota
I have a hydraulic snow blade I got from QuickAttach and it works great. I have a gravel drive that runs 1000' and when it is thawed out is a tough plow so I use my grader blade backwards to push the snow aside, but when frozen, no problem with the snow plow blade.
I think this is what I want. It requires the 3rd function valve, which isn't cheap, but will be nice for any future attachments (grapple).

Is this a Quick Push Snow /Light material blade? If so, what options did you get?

Thanks

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I think this is what I want. It requires the 3rd function valve, which isn't cheap, but will be nice for any future attachments (grapple).

Is this a Quick Push Snow /Light material blade? If so, what options did you get?

Thanks
Yes it is, I got the wings so I can turn it into a pusher, not that much extra. I have used them a little, but not much. Chains for me are a necessity and after a few years using it, I just got some 'front' chains for next year as I get a lot of ice and the tractor slides to the side while pushing the snow on an angle. I love it, I thought of getting a blower for the rear, but this does the job. I see you are in MN! You could probably drive to the factory and save shipping !! I have purchased several implements from them, I deal with Nate Hjille, nice guy, tell him George Gallant recommended them, don't know if you'll get any better deal, but you never know???

Last edited:

Dae06

May 10, 2018
Minnesota
Yes it is, I got the wings so I can turn it into a pusher, not that much extra. I have used them a little, but not much. Chains for me are a necessity and after a few years using it, I just got some 'front' chains for next year as I get a lot of ice and the tractor slides to the side while pushing the snow on an angle. I love it, I thought of getting a blower for the rear, but this does the job. I see you are in MN! You could probably drive to the factory and save shipping !! I have purchased several implements from them, I deal with Nate Hjille, nice guy, tell him George Gallant recommended them, don't know if you'll get any better deal, but you never know???
Will do, thanks

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
They are a little pricey, but it is a solid and well built piece of equipment. Made in USA, high quality. I'm not sorry I spent the money, I got what I paid for.

Dae06

May 10, 2018
Minnesota
They are a little pricey, but it is a solid and well built piece of equipment. Made in USA, high quality. I'm not sorry I spent the money, I got what I paid for.
They apparently messed up on my quote, MSRP was cheaper than the cash price. They corrected it, and it is a bit better.

Dae06

May 10, 2018
Minnesota
In cases like this it helps to note which tractor your wanting to use it on. ;)

Sorry it's for a B2650.

Since this original post I purchased the B2763. My first time using it was last weekend. It was a struggle!! 6"-8" of wet, wet snow and soft ground. There will be a learning curve, but when the ground freezes, I think things will go much better.

Jblac197

Equipment
L3800, bush hog, tiller snowblower
Aug 21, 2018
Hibbing
Where did you purchase this blade and what was the price if you don't mind me asking. I'm researching and pricing snowplows for my l3800. Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
If it was me, I'd buy a Craig's List used blade like a Meyers or Western and attach a Quick Detach 2 pin plate. They are around 100 bucks online.

You can buy a used blade with power angle or without but even the PA blades will have the ability to use a manual pin.

Paid 800 for mine. Little bigger than what you need but the principle is the same...

Paid 8 for mine. I've seen smaller ones (6-7 & 7 1/2 foot for less than 500 bucks.

Attachments