Projects Forum

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I would like to suggest the addition of a "projects" forum. Not fabrication, but actual jobs done with the tractor.

The "What did you do today" forum is great for just that (today - like I washed it), but really it is a mile long and you would have a hard time referencing something in the middle.

A projects thread would be more about a project all the way through, be it a day or year. The starter of the topic could lend advice as to how it was done, or seek advice while doing it. It could be a single post, or 100 pages long.

A lot could be learned and helped with by all of us. It could also generate a ton of content for the forum as well as additional user interaction.

I did a 1/2 mile road grading project recently that used the box, the rake, the bucket etc. It involved some damage and some needed repair after the fact. A lot more than a "what did you do today" post.

A lot of people start a thread "what should I use for....." I think a projects thread could showcase some really good answers.

This is just a suggestion in the suggestion forum.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I have often had the same thought. The "What did you do to or on your Kubota today?" forum is too big to easily search things, mainly because the title combines two different subjects-
"What did you do to your Kubota today?"
"What did you do on your Kubota today?"
Never understood why the two were combined.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Most of my projects have been posted in the above mentioned thread, but that makes it really hard to search for & point out the projects to others.

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
I agree with your thoughts. I have been here about a month. Have visited that thread a few times but would never use it for a reference one. Too long and too varied. Like the Dailey Chuckle but get that being one long thread.

I get it the long running thread suits those who have been reading it for years. It is like the coffee house conversation that just pauses today to be picked back up tomorrow.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
No interest in sharing projects?

Feelings?
I'd suggest simply starting the thread with a title that clearly states it's purpose. Might even begin with parameters of use to guide posters. If it get's off subject they often get redirected back on by the title and someone else came up with a new project.

Whether it's joke of the day, music listening to, favorite pets, they all start with one post and somehow survive.

I personally don't post in the "what did you do today on your tractor..." thread because it seems silly, like trying to get brownie points. Too many trite things listed there for me, and if you do have something really useful there is no way to find it later!

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
It seems like nobody here cares about projects. It takes a lot of time and energy to document a project. No point in doing it if there is no interest.

I just finished a micro-hydro project with a friend and there was a lot involved. I was going to put all the pictures together and the bill of materials and document it out. Then I thought, where would I put it on here? That is where the suggestion came from and I was surprised there wasn't one already.

I won't take the time to post into a black hole.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
I've had a few projects that I had thought about posting, but ... like you pointed out, it takes a lot of time and effort to take photos and document. I'd be interested in reading any projects that get posted, I just seem to be too busy to take the time to post them myself.

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
To those who have interest in posting a project why not give it a try? If it benefits ONE person a lot or a few some has it not been a help? Sometimes people will look at such and may not post but will benefit still.

Something that would help with such a posting is a "LIKE" button here as some other forums have.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
To those who have interest in posting a project why not give it a try? If it benefits ONE person a lot or a few some has it not been a help? Sometimes people will look at such and may not post but will benefit still.

Something that would help with such a posting is a "LIKE" button here as some other forums have.
I was looking for a good place to put it.

On the micro-hydro project there was some tractor operating, but not all. It wasn't fully off-topic. It really needed its own place.

We are now embarking on a water cistern/collection system on his remote property. It should be another good project but again, I am not going to do it to post it into a black hole.

They also do not like the like button here.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
after running boards like this for what feels like a century lol.. I do NOT LIKE project/build reports as they are normally written because in reality.... while they are fun to read..... majority of users come to boards like this one to learn primarily about 1. diagnose and issue, 2. particular repair and/or replace procedure to solve that issue. 3. Upgrade(s) / how to go about 4. where to get parts

so with that in mind projects threads about someone's build combines all the above into one conglomerated mess and makes it very hard to search which does NOT serve the primary reason folk come to such pages. (also why not huge fan of the long running... this is what I did to my tractor today threads.. they are hard as hell to search for knowledge)

if you want to do a build/project report (LOVE IT when you do) start a build report under most appropriate forum.. give your funny stories, successes, fails and antidotes in that thread as you go along.... when you get to a part of the build where there is already a forum that is mostly about the topic your getting into.. then in that part of your build report.... jump over to the appropriate forum and go on about that portion there, (example if this discussion board had a forum about tractor electronics .. discuss your dash re-wire in the electronics forum and..) put links in all those threads to tie them all together.

here on this board.... your build report might actually go in "Off Topic" or "Service"... even "Fabrication" where you plop a thread with the main generic daily trials and tribulations of the build and split (with links) parts of the re-build to fabrication forum, tire, forum , implements forum... etc. where appropriate. again tie it all together with links

so again am seeing "projects" as a "mini build report" essentially, thusly we do not "need" a projects forum though it would be a nicety... each part of a project goes in the appropriate existing forum as described above and your "tie it up in a bow" thread; that is the story behind it, can fall in whatever forum you thinks gives it a good starting off point.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
after running boards like this for what feels like a century lol.. I do NOT LIKE project/build reports as they are normally written because in reality.... while they are fun to read..... majority of users come to boards like this one to learn primarily about 1. diagnose and issue, 2. particular repair and/or replace procedure to solve that issue. 3. Upgrade(s) / how to go about 4. where to get parts

so with that in mind projects threads about someone's build combines all the above into one conglomerated mess and makes it very hard to search which does NOT serve the primary reason folk come to such pages. (also why not huge fan of the long running... this is what I did to my tractor today threads.. they are hard as hell to search for knowledge)

if you want to do a build/project report (LOVE IT when you do) start a build report under most appropriate forum.. give your funny stories, successes, fails and antidotes in that thread as you go along.... when you get to a part of the build where there is already a forum that is mostly about the topic your getting into.. then in that part of your build report.... jump over to the appropriate forum and go on about that portion there, (example if this discussion board had a forum about tractor electronics .. discuss your dash re-wire in the electronics forum and..) put links in all those threads to tie them all together.

here on this board.... your build report might actually go in "Off Topic" or "Service"... even "Fabrication" where you plop a thread with the main generic daily trials and tribulations of the build and split (with links) parts of the re-build to fabrication forum, tire, forum , implements forum... etc. where appropriate. again tie it all together with links

so again am seeing "projects" as a "mini build report" essentially, thusly we do not "need" a projects forum though it would be a nicety... each part of a project goes in the appropriate existing forum as described above and your "tie it up in a bow" thread; that is the story behind it, can fall in whatever forum you thinks gives it a good starting off point.
Sorry, you lost me at post the single project that someone could follow from start to finish in multiple forums, multiple times? This sounds like a nightmare for the person doing the project as well as the person trying to follow it. Not to mention trying to follow replies. Did you really mean break it out into a hundred different forum posts?

Do you guys really want ME starting tons of threads all about the same project in multiple forums, multiple times? S#$t I was just told to leave the forum AGAIN by BAP. BAP has a thing for me, I'm not sure why.

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Sorry, you lost me at post the single project that someone could follow from start to finish in multiple forums, multiple times? This sounds like a nightmare for the person doing the project as well as the person trying to follow it. Not to mention trying to follow replies. Did you really mean break it out into a hundred different forum posts?

Do you guys really want ME starting tons of threads all about the same project in multiple forums, multiple times? S#$t I was just told to leave the forum AGAIN by BAP. BAP has a thing for me, I'm not sure why.
sounds more complicated / time consuming when explaining it but it is not. It is actually very easy...takes really no more time. Would not want anyone to repeat things in different places. your right that would be a pita. (and unnecessary)

only thing Id recommend splitting is a project that encompases more than .... well... one project lol..... take this example:

person decides to start a thread about repair/rebuild of a COUPLE things on their tractor...... they are going to (or already have) replace wheels and will/did fabricate a new hydraulic steering assist. .... so start thread in say fabrication forum... (or tires, or service -- about anywhere it sorta fits)

. opening post: put normal conversation of what and why your doing it. "damn rusty wheel literlly broke while armstrong steering my tractor... blah blah blah.... and here is the plan" "replace wheel/tire....... and build me a hydraulic assist steer setup"
. On day he sits down to write up the wheel replace/ tire change part.... he does it in "tires and wheel forum".. (net result is that is no difference in time spent beyond copying url of that thread about the wheel/tire and throwing it in the other thread with a note that say... "here is the adventure of doing the wheel/tires ohh... what fun (link )"
. on day he inputs the info about the hydraulic assist steer..... put that in 'fabrication"... (again; that is no difference in time spent beyond copping url of that thread and throwing it in the other thread with a note that say... "here is the adventure of doing the hydro assist... what what a mess (link )"

sounds complicated and time consuming but honestly it isn't. Its easy peasy. Folk are still typing same stuff in same amount of time it would have taken anyway; plus a quick copy/paste of a url.

nothing to it.

More folk will get chuckle out of each part of the adventure.. and more folk will learn from it too.

PS yes I've done it. about the long slow road of building my expedition camper... parts of it in "interior forum" . Main body/introduction of the build is in 4x4 ambulances, discussion about solar plans in.. "electrical forum" etc. took me no more amount of time to have done it in all one place under 4x4...... but now each part is in a spot more accessible to someone who wants to learn from others about a particular aspect . (interior, electrical, plumbing, etc etc ) so it benefits more people. kinda a pay forward thing... folk help you out in forums...... pay back to the next fella and make it easier to find solutions to their questions.... may they pay forward soon too.

Last edited:

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I am not really talking about a tractor specific project. There is already multiple forums for those.

The micro hydro project we just did had some,
Some Tractor work
Some Mini ex work
Some plumbing math
Some plumbing
Some electrical math
Some High voltage electrical
Some low voltage electrical
Some battery storage
Some 3D printing
Some back yard casting
Some mechanical gearing
Some shed construction

It was a project. How would I keep this together in a way that someone could follow it in multiple forums with multiple threads started for each step? Sorry I can't begin to see how that would work.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
NHSleddog I agree with your reasoning. If any "project" is in a thread for PROJECTS and has an appropriate title it can be searched out and discovered by anyone searching. Whether it's a fabricated tool, something modified to work a little differently, or a hydro project, dividing it up to different forums seems, well foolish.

How a project (or any thread for that matter) is titled determines how easily it can be searched and discovered by others.

A couple of years ago I bought and completely went through a Bobcat skidsteer. Removed a Perkins engine and installed a Kubota. Made engine mounts, connections to hyd. pump, drained/relaced hyd oil, sandblasted, painted, decals.... and a bunch more. How do you divide that up and make any continuity of it?

It was under "Off Topic" and "Re-power an 825 Bobcat skidsteer". One can do a Google search of "825 Bobcat with a Kubota engine" and it will take you right to it. I've actually had two other guys contact me and ask question about things I did.

I just don't see the point of dividing any project into bit and pieces. Causes confusion and takes time.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Just another thought. North Idaho Wolfman had some picture of his project of building a house. Should that be divided up into plot layout, concrete forming, pex piping layout and design, insulating, truss building, plumbing, electrical, roofing, landscaping, road construction, etc?

It would lose interest and continuity quickly.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Just another thought. North Idaho Wolfman had some picture of his project of building a house. Should that be divided up into plot layout, concrete forming, pex piping layout and design, insulating, truss building, plumbing, electrical, roofing, landscaping, road construction, etc?

It would lose interest and continuity quickly.
It should have its own thread in a project forum ;).

If I remember correctly he also had some geothermal in use. All really good information.

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
I would agree. If someone wants to take the time to fully document a project that someone else may find useful, why not give them a place to put this? It would only make the forum stronger.

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
. members rarely come to a forum searching for a project to read. though when have time occasionaly do.... it is interesting.

. majority of new members come in searching for information that will most always skip right past name of a project thread in the search results list cause the title 99% of the time will have nothing to do with what they are searching for

change is difficult... but with that being said.... but pointed in different direction. what changes happen to the format of this discussion board is unfortunately completely out of the hands of moderators and admin is mostly not around.

tis the reality of it.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
There's already 9 forums on this site and if the 'project' is Kubota related, probably can fit into one of them... anything else could go into the 'off topic' forum, maybe with the title: 'PROJECT - my thingamabob'....