Problem: Hooking Up a Bush Hog to B6100DT

Amishkingpin

Equipment
B7100 HST with FEL,Tiller,Rotary Mower and Box grader
Feb 19, 2009
Columbus, Ohio,USA
Hi, I need some advice.

I am trying to hookup a 3 pt 4 foot bush hog to a B6100DT tractor.

With some prying, I did get the 3 pt attached but there is very little space between the 3 pt arms and the ag tires. I measured the centers of the back ag tires and there are 32 inch apart which makes believe I am at the widest adjustment for the wheels. Is that correct?

I read the tractor manual which I always seem to do after I fiddle with something a while, which says 300 lb is the limit for a bush hog. This one may be a little heavier than that.

Does a bush hog work OK on a B6100DT? Mine has a woods belly mower but I want to cut some weeds.

Recommendations please?

Thanks,
AK

Amishkingpin

Equipment
Feb 19, 2009
Columbus, Ohio,USA
I forgot to mention that when the drive shaft is connected, the 3 pt arms can't come back far enought to connect to the bush hog pins.

Is there any modifications I can try?

Thanks,
AK

small&mighty99

Jun 16, 2009
Braselton Ga. USA
same problem as I had when first got the bush hog, the drive shafts bottom out onto each other, ( too Long ) you will have to trial & error this, I had to cut some off both parts of the drive shaft in order for one to slip in far enough to connect the 3 pnt hitch, start by backing up as far as you can with the drive shafts slip into each other when they bottom out,
and measure the distance how much more the 3 pnt pins need to slip on,
devide this measurement in half, and cut this much off each one, now you will have enough to connect the 3 pnt pins, although not enough off to lift the bush hog up with lift, so you will need take a bit more off each shaft again, be careful not to take more off than need, if you have the lift all the way down while running over a mound and then head over the other side the shaft could slip out at full expand, this is why it is " trial & error "
better cut little at a time than too much at one time....
either do this or get longer arms.

Last edited:

Amishkingpin

Equipment
Feb 19, 2009
Columbus, Ohio,USA
Small& Mighty,

Thanks for the information. Your idea of cutting the drive shafts is what my Kubota dealer recommended. They have to perform the same adjustment of new equipment they bring in the door. I was game to do this but other issue was the 3 pt was a bit too wide for the tractor to handle and turn without tearing up the back fenders. So, bottom line, I sold the bush hog tonight and made a little profit in the process. The tractor came with a Woods belly mower that wasn't working. This is how I came across the tractor, previous owner didn't like the way the mower worked or didn't work. My Kubota dealer told me to pitch the mower since the 1st generation Woods KB-1 were a piece of crap(No discharge). I am modifying this mower by opening up the side to discharge to the right and tweaking the baffles to allow grass flow to the right and out. Also, I am upgrading the blades to High Lift blades. So, in the end I think I will have a mower that work well on the B6100DT and little cost to make it work!

Michael

Equipment
Zen Noh ZL1801 Sadly I sold it and a T1400 lawn tractor
Mar 11, 2009
Sedro Woolley, Washington USA
One other trick is to reverse the pins on the brush hog. If they are pointed outboard on the brush hog try them set inboard. I had to do this on the Woods RCC42 that I bought. The pins are easily reversed and can give you more room.

One other thing I did was buy a quick hitch from Harbor Freight and that did help on the long shaft length as I only had to cut 4" off the shaft (2" on the forward shaft and 2" off the aft shaft) for my L1801.

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Hi amishkingpin, I had a 4ft bush hog on my b6000 and it handled it fine. The weight was no problem for the tph but I did find the tractor a bit light on the front end. And I did have to reverse the pins as Michael said. Good luck.:D