Probably a newbie question- skid steer front mower on M62 using aux hydraulics

alfredsuter

Equipment
Kubota M62 2022
May 17, 2023
Jacksonville FL
If this has been asked before, I'm sorry, I did do a little bit of a search first and did not see anything.
SO- I have a Kubota M62 with front auxiliary hydraulics and I also happen to have a friend that doesn't need his brand new 66" skid steer mower. The mower uses between 16-21GPM and my front aux outputs 16GPM. Has anyone tried to put a skid steer mower (like the common SSR72) on the front of their tractor? It seems like it would be fine to me other than not having a continuous hydraulic flow and having to keep the button continuously held down. Is there a way to switch that button on the control stick from momentary to continuous on?

civlized

May 8, 2023
Central Alabama
I'm not familiar with the front mower, but as for the button, absolutely, there is a way. Actually, there are several. Probably the easiest is to switch the button from momentary to constant. This could have negative effects when using other attachments, though. I'm not familiar with your tractor or the button, but most of the buttons are very similar. Another way is follow the wiring to the solenoid and modify with a latching relay. Yet another option, add another control switch and wire into the same wiring for the solenoid so that you can control from 2 different places, one being your original momentary on the stick and another constant switch in another place. There are many ways to accomplish the electrical part of it.

I'm sure there are many other ways and maybe you will get some other options. These were just the few that popped in my head while reading your question.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
If this has been asked before, I'm sorry, I did do a little bit of a search first and did not see anything.
SO- I have a Kubota M62 with front auxiliary hydraulics and I also happen to have a friend that doesn't need his brand new 66" skid steer mower. The mower uses between 16-21GPM and my front aux outputs 16GPM. Has anyone tried to put a skid steer mower (like the common SSR72) on the front of their tractor? It seems like it would be fine to me other than not having a continuous hydraulic flow and having to keep the button continuously held down. Is there a way to switch that button on the control stick from momentary to continuous on?
See the thread on wiring a Lane Shark. You have the flow and its easy to hook in the mower. But your third function is probably not the best source for powering a 16 GPM hydraulic mower.

Dan

Last edited:

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I wired a switch to close the contact for the momentary switch circuit.

Your hydraulics will get very hot with continuous use. You will probably not be happy with the flow to run the mower.

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Mowers like your talking about, lane shark, trailblazer, etc require an open line back to tank. If you were to release the 3rd function while the mower was spinning it would suddenly try to stop damaging mower motor and tractor valves. Maybe even put metal contamination in your HST system.

Skidsteer large hydraulic motor attachments have three lines. A third case drain line.

Another concern is heat. Can the M62 handle the added heat load from running a large hydraulic motor continuously.

Lane Shark and similar cutters get by being light weight and being intermittent type mowers.

You could use your 3rd function to supply hydraulic flow. Plumb another line back to tank. Case drain? Use intermittently? The M62 is not high flow machine.

There are times I wish for a front mounted cutter for the M59. Use a FEL hydraulic polesaw with 3rd function. It doesn’t have much rotation torque like a bush hog. Only needs seconds to cut a limb. Fist size motor has 13hp.

Front mower for tractors manufacturers usually offer a pto hydraulic system for their cutter. Then becomes more complicated, time to install, place to store and more to maintain.

Reactions: 1 user

alfredsuter

Equipment
Kubota M62 2022
May 17, 2023
Jacksonville FL
Mowers like your talking about, lane shark, trailblazer, etc require an open line back to tank. If you were to release the 3rd function while the mower was spinning it would suddenly try to stop damaging mower motor and tractor valves. Maybe even put metal contamination in your HST system.

Skidsteer large hydraulic motor attachments have three lines. A third case drain line.

Another concern is heat. Can the M62 handle the added heat load from running a large hydraulic motor continuously.

Lane Shark and similar cutters get by being light weight and being intermittent type mowers.

You could use your 3rd function to supply hydraulic flow. Plumb another line back to tank. Case drain? Use intermittently? The M62 is not high flow machine.

There are times I wish for a front mounted cutter for the M59. Use a FEL hydraulic polesaw with 3rd function. It doesn’t have much rotation torque like a bush hog. Only needs seconds to cut a limb. Fist size motor has 13hp.

Front mower for tractors manufacturers usually offer a pto hydraulic system for their cutter. Then becomes more complicated, time to install, place to store and more to maintain.
Thank you for this advice, I really appreciate it! I have abandoned the idea of using a skid steer style mower. I would rather save my machine!

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
There are some low flow options for a front cutter. Sickle bar mower for grass and small brush. Limb Beaver, spendy but efficient on bigger stuff cutter.

Our bigger TLBs are particularly suited to modifying to perform unique jobs.