Pressure Plate adjustment

IdahoNative

Equipment
Kubota B7100D 4x4, non-HST, FEL 1630
Jan 12, 2022
Florida, central
Months ago, I replaced my clutch components with aftermarket brand parts. They all appeared to match the old ones. The TO bearing is a Timken (Timken has always made great bearings). I followed the manual when setting the pressure plate finger heights. After running for about 4 hours, the clutch will only disengage between R and 1st gear, and only at very low RPM, and with the speed lever set to turtle mode. While stopped, shifting from 1 to 2 even in turtle mode, isn't possible...it will just grind. I adjusted the clutch pedal to both min and max. The TO bearing "hub" or fork isn't worn. I've checked everything possible and narrowed it down to the pplate finger heights. They must have loosened up to the point where they are too short and not allowing the TO bearing to fully disengage the disk.

Could the issue be with an after market pplate? Out-of-box heights were out of all spec. It was a PIA to set the finger heights. The kept "popping" out of adjustment.

I ordered a Kubota brand pplate today. I revisited the installation process and compared the shop manual instructions with a post I found here. The manual says to adjust the fingers with the disk in place. The post said adjusted them with the disk absent.

How have others adjusted the fingers?

Will the Kubota fingers be preset from the factory?

As anyone experienced problems with cheaper, after-market pplates?

thx, in advance.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Months ago, I replaced my clutch components with aftermarket brand parts. They all appeared to match the old ones. The TO bearing is a Timken (Timken has always made great bearings). I followed the manual when setting the pressure plate finger heights. After running for about 4 hours, the clutch will only disengage between R and 1st gear, and only at very low RPM, and with the speed lever set to turtle mode. While stopped, shifting from 1 to 2 even in turtle mode, isn't possible...it will just grind. I adjusted the clutch pedal to both min and max. The TO bearing "hub" or fork isn't worn. I've checked everything possible and narrowed it down to the pplate finger heights. They must have loosened up to the point where they are too short and not allowing the TO bearing to fully disengage the disk.

Could the issue be with an after market pplate? Out-of-box heights were out of all spec. It was a PIA to set the finger heights. The kept "popping" out of adjustment.

I ordered a Kubota brand pplate today. I revisited the installation process and compared the shop manual instructions with a post I found here. The manual says to adjust the fingers with the disk in place. The post said adjusted them with the disk absent.

How have others adjusted the fingers?

Will the Kubota fingers be preset from the factory?

As anyone experienced problems with cheaper, after-market pplates?

thx, in advance.
Oh YEAH !!!
Got a whooping TWO hours use from my Ford 1920 after market pressure plate, before failure.
A second split after only 2 hours use did not make me a happy camper!
My advice to everyone: DO NOT DO AN AFTER MARKET CLUTCH!

IdahoNative

Equipment
Kubota B7100D 4x4, non-HST, FEL 1630
Jan 12, 2022
Florida, central
Oh YEAH !!!
Got a whooping TWO hours use from my Ford 1920 after market pressure plate, before failure.
A second split after only 2 hours use did not make me a happy camper!
My advice to everyone: DO NOT DO AN AFTER MARKET CLUTCH!
I can appreciate that. This will be the split number 4. First, I put the TO bearing in backwards, then turned out it was the wrong TO!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The factory PP will already be adjusted, and any checks on adjustment would be done with the disk in place.

Reactions: 1 user