Power Seat Motor for chute rotation question

hockeystewey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2017 BX1880 w FEL, 54"MMM, 2019 BX2816 50 " snowblower
Dec 12, 2017
NY
Hey everyone...looking for some help for anyone who has worked with power seat motor from cars before. I am moding one to use on my blower but my question is: Is the Screw shaft hardened? Can I cut it and machine it? I figure I better see if someone can answer my question before I ruin the whole thing...lol

Thanks guys!!!

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
I cannot answer your question but I would not want to use a window motor for this application unless you can keep moisture out of it. My White (mtd) walk behind blower came with a wiper motor for the chute rotate from the factory. I was constantly thawing and drying it out and finally installed the manual crank from a cheaper model. I used the switch from that system on my walk behind to operate the linear motor that operates the deflector on the blower on my Kubota. For chute rotate I used hydraulic.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Hey everyone...looking for some help for anyone who has worked with power seat motor from cars before. I am moding one to use on my blower but my question is: Is the Screw shaft hardened? Can I cut it and machine it? I figure I better see if someone can answer my question before I ruin the whole thing...lol

Thanks guys!!!
The seat motor was a cheapie and it still worked fine when I sold the L3200 after about 5 or 6 years. I cut the shaft and welded an adaptor on it.

Attachments

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA

Thanks guys!!!
Take a file to the shaft and see if you can remove material easily. If so, likely not hardened. If the file seems not to work it IS hardened...

hockeystewey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2017 BX1880 w FEL, 54"MMM, 2019 BX2816 50 " snowblower
Dec 12, 2017
NY
Take a file to the shaft and see if you can remove material easily. If so, likely not hardened. If the file seems not to work it IS hardened...
thanks Henro, I meant to post that I did just that and they are in fact not hardened if anyone ever needs to know..lol