Power and Weight

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I've had my L2501 for over a year. Too often I've found it necessary to shift into 4WD to move when working. The tractor has the FEL attached which puts more weight on the front making the back light. It seems overall the tractor is a bit light for its power and weight capabilities. In the near future I plan to have beet juice added to the rear tires. Should I have inner tubes installed at the same time to facilitate tire replacement in the future?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I'd say no in as much as beet juice isn't corrosive. Far as changing tires, if you plan on keep a tractor a long time, then tires will become an issue. I just changed them on my open station at 6000 hours.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
you always need to have 'counter balance' weight if you have a FEL... What style of weight depends on what you're doing... beet juice( tire ballast) is OK IF you down't mind that extra weight 24/7. wheel weights can come off when not required but a 3pt 'carryall' with a 'skid of weight' may be the easiest counter ballast setup. If the FEL is 'SSQA' then it's easy to change 'modes of operation'

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I'm with Jay on this one. Do you have any three point attachments? Do you anticipate having some in the future? That counter weight can be added/removed whenever necessary and it's more effective in countering the loader since it extends beyond the rear axle.

To answer your question regarding tubes...No. That's not going to help you in the least if/when you need to change tires. No way you can change a tire with a tube filled with fluid.

Last edited:

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I do appreciate the input - especially on the tubes. I don't have a quick attach on the loader as I don't expect to remove it - ever. A weight box for the back may be worth considering for when my mower is not attached. That sounds like something I could build with concrete and pipe.

Reactions: 1 user

Sammy3700

Equipment
L3800HST,524Loader,BH77,Landplane,Disk,Mowers and more
Feb 20, 2012
Red Springs, NC
I do appreciate the input - especially on the tubes. I don't have a quick attach on the loader as I don't expect to remove it - ever. A weight box for the back may be worth considering for when my mower is not attached. That sounds like something I could build with concrete and pipe.
As others said you will better off with weight on the 3pth. It acts like a see saw the weight behind the rear wheels will remove some of the weight or load add to the front axle by the loader. I chose this instead of loaded tires. Every one‘s application is different and if you have no intention of removing the loader I would definitely add something to rear to reduce wear on the front axle.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I just use my BB for counter weight. I also have my tires loaded and no tubes in mine.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I've had my L2501 for over a year. Too often I've found it necessary to shift into 4WD to move when working. The tractor has the FEL attached which puts more weight on the front making the back light. It seems overall the tractor is a bit light for its power and weight capabilities. In the near future I plan to have beet juice added to the rear tires. Should I have inner tubes installed at the same time to facilitate tire replacement in the future?
If you have R1 tires you can purchase wheel weights that will bolt to the rims. R4 tires are not drilled for the addition of wheel weights. I have some weights that I will drill the R4 rims and add the weights. My tires are loaded with water since I am in Fl and there are no freezing problems.

These contemporary tractors are light in weight. The addition of the fluid, wheel weights and then something such as a box blade or a weight box will make the tractor much more useful. If you make a weight box I would place some PVC pipe in the box vertically so that you could slip a shovel or rake etc. into the pipe to carry as needed. Also attach a box to hold chains and other tools as needed.

Just food for thought.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
people gripe because they can't pick up enough weight

then they gripe cause the tractor ain't heavy enough

You can't win

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
people gripe because they can't pick up enough weight

then they gripe cause the tractor ain't heavy enough

You can't win
Nope. Both mine will lift enough to float the back wheels if I'm not careful. Nice way of telling me I have too much out front.

For me, heavy tractor = compaction = no no.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
My L2501 has a backhoe that stays on it 99.9% of the time, which I think is 850 lbs. It also has fuid in the tires. I can say it is plenty of weight. As stated, the 3 pt hitch weight is what you need as it counterbalances your loader.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I prefer wheel weights and/or ballast boxes and use both because either can be added/removed as needed so it is not necessary to carry excess weight around when not needed. It takes HP and fuel to move weight. Additionally, I repair/change my own tires and have no way to pump liquid ballast.

That said, since you do not plan to remove your FEL, Rim Guard might be appropriate for you (NO CaCl). You can add Rim Guard without installing tubes but doing so complicates tire repair and adds expense. Be sure to replace the OEM Neoprene valve stems with SS "water" stems if you do so.

SDT

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmm.. you mention 'mower'.... so I'd want easily removable weight when cutting grass.
I'd like to hear what others say about having a 'fully loaded' tractor cutting their grass.
I use a dedicated ridermower, my BX23s will never have a deck on it.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
The L4240 is the third tractor I've had with a loader and liquid ballast in the rear tires. They have all been used as my "lawnmowers" (with the loader and arms removed) for the majority of their hours. My yard doesn't mind tractors running over them. For light loader work, it would be OK with just the filled rear tires. For heavier lifts, it needs something on the 3PH. In the Summer, the 7-1/2' RFM is usually there to fill that need. In the Winter, iv'e generally had either a blower or blade on the rear.

In Winter 2018/2019 I started using an 8' power angle front plow and had the blower on the rear. Discovered the plow did everything well for me, so I sold the blower with the L3200. With the two or three piddly snows we had last year, I used it without any rear ballast other than the filled tires. It was obvious there would be a need for weight back there when it snows for real. This year there will be a 55 gallon drum of concrete on the 3PH. Since there's no need for a rear blade, it'll be nice to have the weight in a small tucked-in package back there.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
hmm.. you mention 'mower'.... so I'd want easily removable weight when cutting grass.
I'd like to hear what others say about having a 'fully loaded' tractor cutting their grass.
I use a dedicated ridermower, my BX23s will never have a deck on it.
My BX2200 has foam filled tires front and rear. About the heaviest tires you can get as they are 100% full.

I use the BX for grass cutting mainly, but other things well, like pulling my 5x8 dump trailer, using a landscape rake, and on. No loader though. Works well for me cutting grass but I am not too picky.

Of course, what I call grass you might call short weeds...;)

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
One advantage to filled rear tires and wheel weights is nothing extended feet from rear of the tractor to watch if working in a tight area.

BigG

Equipment
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
The loaded tires and wheel weights are to add traction to the rear wheels. This is often needed in these smaller tractors. The weight hung off of the three point hitch is needed as a counter weight for the front end loader. The loaded tires and wheel weights will help with the stability of the tractor with or without a FEL. However the counter weight allows the tractor to transfer the weight from the front axle to the rear axle. Since the rear axle does not pivot like the front axle this makes the tractor more stable and thus safer to use. This also will reduce the wear and tear on the parts of the front axle. The counter weight should always be used if you are using the FEL for heavy work even if the loaded tires and wheel weights are on the tractor.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
After sorting through all the pros and cons it appears weight is good and the best way to apply it may well be some kind of ballast box I can put on my three point and remove when mowing, the mower providing the counterbalance at that point. I think I have an empty 55 gallon drum or two around here. Concrete is cheap and rocks are free. I believe I gained a new project. Thank you all.

BigG

Equipment
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I still like the idea of the pipe standing on end to hold a shovel, rake, or axe and maybe a box for the chain and chain saw into your barrel.

just a thought.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I still like the idea of the pipe standing on end to hold a shovel, rake, or axe and maybe a box for the chain and chain saw into your barrel.

just a thought.
Here's my scrap material / freebie work in progress. Found a drum that appealed to me because it was smooth-sided without the customary rings around it. The vertical PVC pipes tie into a horizontal PVC pipe header. That way if something other than tool handles goes down into the pipes it can easily be cleared from the bottom.

It's at our shop awaiting leftover concrete now. Plans are to attach a bracket for an SMV sign after the pour with small concrete anchors. Probably something for a chain as well.
IMG_7672.jpg
IMG_7673 (1).jpg

Reactions: 5 users