Portable gas cans

Toyboy

Equipment
BX2230D - RCK60-22BX - BX5450
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi
I don't know about you guys but I got blindsided about the change to "no spill" gas cans that happened back in '99?. Like most other people I had several of the older (and loved) cans for a bunch of years and never needed any more. Heck, I gave some away because of having too many not being used.

Well that all changed when daughters family came for a week and wanting to rent a jet ski for a couple days went and purchased 2, 5 gal cans to go with the older 5 gal I'd had for years. I said "what is this crap on them" and they're a pain to pour.

I did some checking and found out what a lot of you had probably already known. Gone, never to return!
So I checked Ebay and found they were now going for $30 or better (5 gal) plush shipping. WTF

Now I'm keeping my eyes open for good used "old style" cans in various sizes at garage sales and flea mkt's. I've picked up two like new 5's this summer and if I can find two more I'll be happy. I know you can modify the new ones to pour better, but I'd rather have the beloved old style.

Am I the only one who was unaware of the change and scrounging for the old style cans, or am I one of the many on here?
Now I'm keeping my eyes open for good used :

Toyboy

Equipment
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
Those kits are great if you need new parts for your old container.
They sell them here locally for about $9 or $7 on sale, but you still need the gas can to use them on.
All you need to do is poke a hole in the new can for the vent and screw on the spout. The new cans can be used with these.

Toyboy

Equipment
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi
All you need to do is poke a hole in the new can for the vent and screw on the spout. The new cans can be used with these.
One of my friends tried that and found that the new cans have a different thread or size than the old ones and it didn't work. I've not tried it my self but he's usually pretty reliable.

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
One of my friends tried that and found that the new cans have a different thread or size than the old ones and it didn't work. I've not tried it my self but he's usually pretty reliable.
I have one that the threads are different on, but all the rest are interchangeable.

Mike_B

Equipment
B2320 w/MMM & FEL, & a bunch of Stihl power equipment. Lincoln SA250 for repairs
Oct 27, 2012
the Dusty South
I've gotten sick of all the innovations to save us from ourselves, with gas cans. I found am Eagle brand safety can my dad had as long as I can remember, I'm 40. So I followed suit & have started buying them. It's hard to swallow the price of the smaller cans but the 5 gal ones doubt so bad if they last.

rparkinson

Aug 23, 2012
Northport Maine
You know, I hate these cans too. I did however find one that works very well, I bought it at my local Kubota dealer @ Union Farm Equipment. I will have to look at it tomorrow and see who makes it. Its a great can, does not leak and does not take forever to fill my machine. I will look at it tomorrow. I dont know if all dealers sell them or not. It was expensive, it was around 40 bucks, made of plastic will a LARGE neck/spout.

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
My Kubota dealer sells them also. I have something similar that's available thru racing parts suppliers, oringed caps with a threaded bung to use a flex hose. Check summit, jegs, speedway motors etc.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I had to get a couple new cans recently. Couldn't make them work, so I tore the guts out of the spout.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Anybody else try the 'No Spill' brand cans?

I don't like all the EPA/Safety/Political Bullchit either, but I really like these cans!

I have 5 of em now.

Toyboy

Equipment
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi
You know, I hate these cans too. I did however find one that works very well, I bought it at my local Kubota dealer @ Union Farm Equipment. I will have to look at it tomorrow and see who makes it. Its a great can, does not leak and does not take forever to fill my machine. I will look at it tomorrow. I dont know if all dealers sell them or not. It was expensive, it was around 40 bucks, made of plastic will a LARGE neck/spout.

$40 for a gas can that is user friendly?
No thanks, I'll keep scrounging for good condition "old school" gas cans at a more reasonable price.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I just couldn't get them to pour.....of course didn't read the directions either, but you shouldn't need to read instructions for a friggin gas can!

One of my kids left a car in the driveway on fumes last winter, then was gone back to college. When Dear Ole Dad was snowblowing at 5AM few days later and had to move it and clean a foot of snow off it, he was NOT happy! I tried to put gas in it from a new can - no luck.

When finesse failed - my big mitts just started twistin' until something snapped - still no gas from the #$%^$ can! Thus- tore the guts out. They still suck since there is no vent.

Sorry, gettin' a little worked up just reliving it. Trust me, my daughter found out the ole man was ticked! ;)

wolfalalone

Equipment
L3800DT,FEL,BB1260,RCR1260
Aug 7, 2013
Dickson,TN
Just a thought the military "JERRY" cans work great for farm equipment. try going to a surplus store and getting one. Just a thought:cool: