Plasma Cutter

bronc71

Equipment
BX25D
Feb 25, 2021
North Idaho
10 years ago I bought a Hobart 12ci. I used it maybe a dozen times, and kept it stored on a shelf in my shop so it still looks like I just pulled it out of the box. I put it to good use the past few weeks working on things like making the Equal angle hitch for the mower, and a few other projects.

Last weekend I was cutting off the axle brackets on a cart with it and it quit working. Last Friday I opened up the case and found the reason is due to a burned circuit board. I contacted Hobart support and found out a replacement board cost $2,308. This unit cost me $740 brand new off the shelf and I can replace it for $650 with a newer model.

Reason for this post is not to complain, but to find out what others have for plasma cutter? Other brands, and how they held up.
I had a very similar problem on my Miller plasma cutter. Circuit board would cost about a thousand bucks. I contacted Miller to get some deeper troubleshooting information. Turned out to be a 5 dollar transistor with 20 bucks shipping On internet. I tried it and fixed it. It pulled away from a heat sink and cooked. Might be worth calling Hobart to get more technical troubleshooting information? I was very lucky.

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
I had a very similar problem on my Miller plasma cutter. Circuit board would cost about a thousand bucks. I contacted Miller to get some deeper troubleshooting information. Turned out to be a 5 dollar transistor with 20 bucks shipping On internet. I tried it and fixed it. It pulled away from a heat sink and cooked. Might be worth calling Hobart to get more technical troubleshooting information? I was very lucky.
Board is fried, being multi layer, its can't be bread boarded either. There is literally a gouge in the board between three transistors.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I bought a Forney 20P from TSC for less than $500, but Amazon will beat even that price at $450 with free shipping:
I have worked it VERY hard cutting almost 3,000 feet of 14 ga steel and it also cuts right thru 1/4” steel like it was butter. Expendables are easy to find, inexpensive, and also available online. Anyone who’s been welding/cutting metal vey long will know the name Forney:

https://www.amazon.com/Ferny-Easy-Weld-251-Plasma/dp/B078TZ9WMM/ref=asc_df_B078TZ9WMM/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312096335436&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14865501243173873900&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1026201&hvtargid=pla-569011383329&th=1

Reactions: 1 users

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
I have to say, that Yeswelder I got is NutZ! It needs to be low amp on 120, but on 240, Holy Schiznit! It sliced through hardened bed bolts like butter. It will take practice to get a nice clean slagless cut, but handsdown 100% better than the Hobart 12CI.

I also had to get a cylinder for the welder since Flux core and thin sheet don't go together very well, too hot, burns through quickly so have to spot weld plugs and then slag builds up causing arc issues. Once I switched to .024 and 75 Argon, the welds came out great, so now have a decent welding setup, only need a Stick and TIG to complete it.

Reactions: 1 user

Showmedata

Equipment
LX3310
May 18, 2022
Boulder CO
I have to say, that Yeswelder I got is NutZ! It needs to be low amp on 120, but on 240, Holy Schiznit! It sliced through hardened bed bolts like butter. It will take practice to get a nice clean slagless cut, but handsdown 100% better than the Hobart 12CI.

I also had to get a cylinder for the welder since Flux core and thin sheet don't go together very well, too hot, burns through quickly so have to spot weld plugs and then slag builds up causing arc issues. Once I switched to .024 and 75 Argon, the welds came out great, so now have a decent welding setup, only need a Stick and TIG to complete it.
I'm glad your YesWelder plasma is a good unit. I got the MP200 5-in-1 machine and I'm not really thrilled with it. The primary problem is that the Tig is crap. The plasma is OK, and the mig is just OK. (haven't tried stick or flux core). It's convenient having only one box, but if the Tig had been accurately advertised on the kickstarter I would not have bought it.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I have the Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 52 it has given years of service.
Cuts 1/2" , gouge to 3/4"
I did have the 1/4" version for ten years back in the 90's. Firestorm I think it was called. I sold it on Feebay for what I paid for it after ten years of use.
Made in Lebanon New Hampshire I believe.