Plain vs. Roll Over Box Blade on my L3301

NF6X

Equipment
L3301HST w/ LA525 & BH77
Mar 19, 2017
Riverside, CA
www.nf6x.net
I have an L3301HST with BH77. I have a 66" front bucket, GS1560 grading scraper, RCR1860 brush cutter, and a Heavy Hitch (no suitcase weights; I just use it for the receiver hitch). I think it's time to add a QH15 quick hitch and a box blade.

I'm interested in the Bush Hog RO-650 65" roll over box blade. My dealer quotes me just under $3k for it, while a BB2566 would be just over $1.4k. He stated "Roll over scrapers are dead, both the BB15/BB25 have pins that you can easily pull to adjust the rippers". But of course, I can't adjust those rippers from the operator's seat. The roll over box also weighs 680 pounds vs. 500 pounds for the BB2566, and the added weight seems like an advantage for both box blade operations and just as rear ballast.

Hydraulic top and tilt would be nice to have, but my dealer says that the Kubota TnT kit is not compatible with the BH77. I think I'd have a hard making a do-it-myself TnT work, because the BH77 subframe is so close to the leveling link. I need to turn my leveling link with the cross bar pointed front/back so it doesn't hit the subframe, and there's a height range where I can't turn it fully because of the subframe... and that's right where it is when attaching/detaching an implement! I think the QH15 should reduce that annoyance. Someday I'll modify the leveling link, but I haven't gotten a round to-it yet.

So, do y'all have any practical advice before I pull the trigger on spending a few grand?

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
Get another quote, even direct from Dirt Dog. The RO65 should be in the $2000 range.

Pretty much anyone that puts the Roll Over box blades down has never used one or is trying to sell a BB with hydraulic actuated rippers. Yes they are old style and have been replaced with the hydraulic actuated ripper box blades for commercial work. But that does not mean that they are out dated for the residential user.

It sure is easier and faster to pull that lever than to stop and move each ripper individually. You can have your rippers engaged quicker than you can stop the tractor and get off, let alone change the rippers back and forth as required.

As far as top & tilt, yes it can and has been done, even with a backhoe sub frame.

Actually common. (y)

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

NF6X

Equipment
L3301HST w/ LA525 & BH77
Mar 19, 2017
Riverside, CA
www.nf6x.net
Thanks for your input! I've called the other Bush Hog dealer in my area for a second quote, and they need to get back to me after calling up Bush Hog. The $2975 quote I got included incoming freight. There aren't any Dirt Dog dealers listed near me. Are there any particular roll over blade brands I should prefer or avoid?

And if anybody can suggest a particular bolt-on hydraulic leveling link that would work well with my L3301HST + BH77 without interfering with the backhoe subframe, I would appreciate it. If I need to weld up something myself, that will definitely push out my eventual addition of hydraulics a few projects further down the road.

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
Dirt Dog and Bush Hog are father son companies I believe. They are the only current manufacturers left that still build the ROBB (roll over box blade). So you don't have a choice if you are going to purchase new.
I have Gannon ROBBs, but the last Gannon ROBB built was back in 2005 I believe. That was when they shut down the California factory.

As far as a 3pt tilt cylinder, Fit Rite Hydraulics builds them. There is a very long lead time though.

Attachments

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Well I learned something new with regards to a roll over box blade. If it was me I would struggle with the $3k price for this unit when there are so many options on the market for a standard box blade. My key question would be how much use you plan to give this new attachment and if you use it commercially? If not I would suggest to buy a regular box blade with manual adjustable rippers. Brush Hog also make a nice range of box blades, I own a 60” BBX box blade for L3200 or L3901 use, I have a woods very heavy 84” box blade that I run with my MX5800. I use hydraulic top links but do not have tilt cylinders. I just purchased an off the shelf hydraulic top link for my L3901 that would fit your L3301, it arrived in 4 days, was a perfect fit and operation, cost was just over $200, please contact me if you would like the info.

The heavy land pride standard box blade looks good but I’m guessing Brush hog similar model will be a little cheaper. Good luck in your final selection.

NF6X

Equipment
L3301HST w/ LA525 & BH77
Mar 19, 2017
Riverside, CA
www.nf6x.net
I would not be using the attachment commercially. I'd just be using it for maintenance and improvements on my own property. The extra 180 pounds of weight on the roll over blade seems appealing. The soil is pretty hard out here. My neighbors always piled rocks and stuff on top of their regular box blade on their small Ford tractor for better cutting force! But is the extra 180 pounds and easier switching between ripping and cutting worth the extra $1,500? Maybe not?

I think I'll need to get one of those long-leadtime Fit Rite leveling links someday because of the tight clearance between the leveling link and my backhoe subframe, but I think that any old good-quality tilt link of the right size should be fine. If/when I add rear hydraulics, I was thinking I'd just power them from the backhoe fittings. I don't expect to need my added rear hydraulic valves and the backhoe at the same time. I had previously bought a 3-spool Prince valve body to use for rear hydraulics, but I don't think any of the spools have a float position, which might be nice. A single-acting position could also be helpful, i.e. if I eventually get one of those Northern Tools cement mixers which use a single-acting cylinder for the dump function. So maybe I'd build up a different valve body now that I know a bit more.

I would appreciate a pointer to where you got your top link. Does it have a built-in holding valve, or can it be floated?

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I would not be using the attachment commercially. I'd just be using it for maintenance and improvements on my own property. The extra 180 pounds of weight on the roll over blade seems appealing. The soil is pretty hard out here. My neighbors always piled rocks and stuff on top of their regular box blade on their small Ford tractor for better cutting force! But is the extra 180 pounds and easier switching between ripping and cutting worth the extra $1,500? Maybe not?

I think I'll need to get one of those long-leadtime Fit Rite leveling links someday because of the tight clearance between the leveling link and my backhoe subframe, but I think that any old good-quality tilt link of the right size should be fine. If/when I add rear hydraulics, I was thinking I'd just power them from the backhoe fittings. I don't expect to need my added rear hydraulic valves and the backhoe at the same time. I had previously bought a 3-spool Prince valve body to use for rear hydraulics, but I don't think any of the spools have a float position, which might be nice. A single-acting position could also be helpful, i.e. if I eventually get one of those Northern Tools cement mixers which use a single-acting cylinder for the dump function. So maybe I'd build up a different valve body now that I know a bit more.

I would appreciate a pointer to where you got your top link. Does it have a built-in holding valve, or can it be floated?
I purchased a hydraulic top link from FitRite for my MX5800 and it took over 20 weeks, very happy with the unit.

I just purchased an hydraulic top link for my L3901, (same fit as L3301) from:

Yes it comes with the two way check valve and arrived in 4 days, I also purchased their hydraulic hoses which fit perfectly to the cylinder and my tractor. I fitted the hoses first then it took me about 2 minutes to install the cylinder on the tractor. I have a busy couple of weeks raking, tilling etc., hydraulic top link is very useful.

Rear hydraulics are not a cheap project, if you want top and tilt you will need 2 sets of rear remotes, then maybe you need another set for any actual attachment use!

NF6X

Equipment
L3301HST w/ LA525 & BH77
Mar 19, 2017
Riverside, CA
www.nf6x.net
I called the second nearest Bush Hog dealer a couple of days ago, and they haven't even called me back yet. While I think the roll over box would be nicer for my needs, I don't think I can justify paying twice as much for it. I'll probably just get the BB2566.

NF6X

Equipment
L3301HST w/ LA525 & BH77
Mar 19, 2017
Riverside, CA
www.nf6x.net
That makes sense. My dealer specifically mentioned that the quote freight, so I wonder if they're charging for freight for the Bush Hog they would have to order, but have less incoming freight overhead on the Kubota and Land Pride stuff that's their bread and butter? Ok, I'll try contacting Dirt Dog for a direct purchase quote. I hesitated to do that because they're on the other side of the country and have no nearby authorized dealers.

NF6X

Equipment
L3301HST w/ LA525 & BH77
Mar 19, 2017
Riverside, CA
www.nf6x.net
I called up Dirt Dog. They say they cannot sell directly to the public, but suggested calling up their local dealer who can drop-ship. I might as well also call the dealer in my state to see how their price+shipping quote would compare. MSRP on the RO-650 is currently $1,896.

I'll definitely be buying the QH15 from my local Kubota dealer, but I'm still considering buying an RB2566 from them vs. ordering a roll over blade from somebody else. Thanks for the help, everybody, and I'll post an update once I make my decision.

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
I called up Dirt Dog. They say they cannot sell directly to the public, but suggested calling up their local dealer who can drop-ship. I might as well also call the dealer in my state to see how their price+shipping quote would compare. MSRP on the RO-650 is currently $1,896.

I'll definitely be buying the QH15 from my local Kubota dealer, but I'm still considering buying an RB2566 from them vs. ordering a roll over blade from somebody else. Thanks for the help, everybody, and I'll post an update once I make my decision.
I wonder what changed? I know that my customer purchased directly from Dirt Dog because there were no dealers in California at the time. The customer was north of San Fransisco.

At least get a quote if they gave you a dealer to try. Problem is unless they ship a lot, they won't know who to use to get a really good shipping cost. A couple of years ago I had 2 pallets shipped to me outside of San Diego Calif from Illinois weighing over 4000lbs total. Cost was $160 for both pallets.

That was from Road Runner Shipping Co.

All I can say is that there is very little comparison for amount and ease of work done between a std box blade and a ROBB. Worth the wait IMO if the price is right.

Good luck with whatever you end up getting. :)

NF6X

Equipment
L3301HST w/ LA525 & BH77
Mar 19, 2017
Riverside, CA
www.nf6x.net
The dealer nearest the manufacturer in Georgia gave me a significantly lower quote than the CA dealer a few hundred miles from me! And both quoted about the same for shipping. I'm going to sleep on it over the weekend, but ordering a roll over box from GA and getting the quick hitch from my local Kubota dealer is looking quite promising.

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
The dealer nearest the manufacturer in Georgia gave me a significantly lower quote than the CA dealer a few hundred miles from me! And both quoted about the same for shipping. I'm going to sleep on it over the weekend, but ordering a roll over box from GA and getting the quick hitch from my local Kubota dealer is looking quite promising.
COOL, :cool: You won't be sorry.;)

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
I am in NorCal...Bay Area. I have a Land Pride 60” box blade I have used exactly once. I leave my back hoe on full time these days...

I can make you a good deal on it...I have the TNT cylinders as well...PM me if interested. You would need to come get it...
81D6B688-7064-4BF7-9128-4D1E384791D8.jpeg

Dunbar

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 LA525 QA PFL2042 Forks RCR1860 FDR1672 BB1560 EA55 WR Grapple FitRite TnT
Aug 2, 2018
Texas
I got my TnT Setup from Brian at Fit Rite. I highly recommend that route as he is highly knowledgeable and builds a high quality product. I Would get 2 float valves, very useful with BB and RFM.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Tossing my two pennies in,
Dirt Dog makes some nice products! I hauled for a local tractor place in Georgia, been to Dirt Dog many times to pick up stuff. Small-ish place just outside of Athens, I believe it was. Super friendly staff also.

Not much help, but if you go Dirt Dog, you will not be disappointed!

morarr

Equipment
L3901D
Feb 11, 2017
Hollywood, MD,USA
Well I learned something new with regards to a roll over box blade. If it was me I would struggle with the $3k price for this unit when there are so many options on the market for a standard box blade. My key question would be how much use you plan to give this new attachment and if you use it commercially? If not I would suggest to buy a regular box blade with manual adjustable rippers. Brush Hog also make a nice range of box blades, I own a 60” BBX box blade for L3200 or L3901 use, I have a woods very heavy 84” box blade that I run with my MX5800. I use hydraulic top links but do not have tilt cylinders. I just purchased an off the shelf hydraulic top link for my L3901 that would fit your L3301, it arrived in 4 days, was a perfect fit and operation, cost was just over $200, please contact me if you would like the info.

The heavy land pride standard box blade looks good but I’m guessing Brush hog similar model will be a little cheaper. Good luck in your final selection.
Upnorth,
I also have a L3901, could you send me info on top link you have and how to plumb? My name is Rick, my email is darckir@gmail.com, thanks.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Upnorth,
I also have a L3901, could you send me info on top link you have and how to plumb? My name is Rick, my email is darckir@gmail.com, thanks.
Rick,

Below is what I ordered for my L3901 Hydraulic Top Link, once I connected the hoses to the cylinder it took me all of 2 minutes to remove and replace the existing top link and plug in the hoses to my rear remotes.

If you are asking how to plumb for rear remotes, my dealer fitted mine when I purchased the tractor. Good luck with yours.
toplink.JPG