Piranha or Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar ?

miketrock

Nov 25, 2019
Pa
Seems like a lot of guys here have the Piranha Tooth bar but does anybody have Heavy Hitch's tooth bar ? It's very different looking than the piranha tooth bar. Might be better for certain types of work? Way more expensive, tho. To me it looks like the Heavy Hitch bar would be not as versatile as the Piranha. The Piranha can cut and slice. Maybe the Heavy Hitch one would be better where its real rocky and shale, if you need more pressure per sq. inch.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
It all boils down to time and money....
time....how much time will you be cutting brush vs digging hardpan material,the two units are designed for different purposes
money... P is $$$, HH is $$$$$

the HHTB teeth are about $30 each BTW

I saved a LOT of money, made my own as I'm frugal and well, lots of scrap steel lying about. Any fab/weld shop can make one in 1-2 hrs using $30 worth of new steel. It took a 'lazy' morning as I don't have fancy tools like an Ironworker.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Another Piranha owner here....it does what it should.
Looking at the "heavy hitch"...it doesn't seem as robust as the Piranha.
One thing I did notice is that if you have the bucket flat the teeth on the Piranha are above the ground. This works well when back-dragging.
It looks like the "Heavy Hitch" extends below the bucket when flat. I can see that being a problem when back dragging.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Between the two, I would choose the Piranha as well.

The HH does not look that heavy duty to me.

I do have a heavy duty tooth bar that I paid something like $250 for in 2002. Two 3/8” flat bars welded AND riveted together into a shallow V that slips over the bucket edge. Would hate to guess what it would cost today. There are pluses and minuses to every design. Mine has only 6 teeth over 54 inches, and is indestructible but more teeth can be better depending what you are doing.

The Piranha looks like a wise choice.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I'm lucky to have both types. The heavy hitch type (mine is an ATI) is great for heavy woods grubbing (in boulders piles etc). I don't worry about damaging it at all. It has replaceable teeth, and is made of fairly heavy gauge steel.

Since I got the PTB, the ATI tooth bar mostly sits in the corner of the garage. If I only could have one, it would be the PTB. I think it works better for getting into material piles and certainly cuts virgin soil and brush better.

I have a large pile of No. 3's on my property and can have a difficult time getting a full bucket of them with a naked bucket. It's a piece of cake with the PTB on. Either way, they both serve to make getting into piles much easier. The difference is night and day.

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, loader, MMM, pallet forks, tooth bar, rear blade, JD 318 w/plow, JD X350
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
I have the Piranha bar, and it does a great job. I looked at both and decided on the PTB. I think that I made the right choice. As was say before, if I could only one of the two, it would be the PTB.