Pigeons really getting my Goat.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Its a good thing i dont have anything in my storage shed yet, pigeons are showing up and not leaving. Guess i need to start picking them off. There is around 20. They sure make a mess.

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
Years back we had a storage shed that was open during the daytime, the birds would fly in and set the motion sensors off at night. So a friend gave us a little recorder that made the owl call, after plugging it in we never had another false alarm and no more bird poop to clean up, it would cry out every few minutes but we got used to the noise.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
We have a large cactus about 16' from the sliding door, and for about the last 6 years it has been home to several generations of Curved Bill Thrashers.
It's a blast to watch them build, re-build, move, & change the nest every year, then raise their youngsters, and see the youngsters come back the next season & repeat the process. We put some seed out occasionally for them, and that also brings in dove, brightly colored house finches, and a host of other birds, lately including the messy, hog-ish pigeons. Most birds eat a little & move on, these pigeons will eat it all in one sitting. Several have experienced my displeasure at the business end of the .625 caliber blowgun.
http://www.coldsteel.com/products/az-products/5-foot-625-blowgun.html
http://www.coldsteel.com/products/az-products/razor-tip-broad-head-dart.html
http://www.coldsteel.com/products/az-products/stun-dart.html

Attachments

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
Broke down and dragged out my pellet rifle. And led flashlight. And an old 32x scope. And some hose clamps. It was quick and effective.
18 so far. I only need to leave one and it will round up a bunch more in short order. 2 large neglected buildings a mile away and im sure there are a lot more roosting there.

Tried chasing them out in the evening but they retuned. Been a battle all summer. Would put up bird netting or spike strips but 50x100 and 20 feet up makes it an impossible task. And expensive.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
32 x power scope,,, wow my old Unreal scope was only16x ,,lol ,,,
The owl decoy will work but you need to move every couple of days, other wise they become use to it. Yep leave one and they will come back.
Now I have heard, of a fella that went to his local farm store and got some stuff called fly bait,, mixed it with corn or some kind of seed,, and set the bait up in the shed from what I heard it took care of the mice and rats too. And well the critters went away, just sayin

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The product Skeets mentions is Malrin. To be bought in various size containers. It's a granular substance, and is a pesticide.

When dissolved in a liquid (usually a soda drink) is will eliminate whatever takes it in. If you (or your neighbors) have any animals that can get in it, you are at risk for liability.

Just a warning. I know folks who use it to rid their barn of many critters, and sometimes the wrong ones!

An explanation:

http://dnr.wi.gov/news/BreakingNews_Print.asp?id=481

Josef

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 Kubota MX 5200 with 6 la1065 loader, sq172 Bush hog shredder, 6 ' Armstrong
Feb 25, 2016
victoria tx 77904
I can certainly remember some fella that was poisoning
coyotes which a golden eagle ate who then spent a lot
of time in prison. He was later pardoned by some outgoing
president. I can always imagine being awoken by a hot torrid
Breath on the back of my neck and it's buba. Keeps me walking
the straight and narrow.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
like I said ,I just heard the big kids talkin about it

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
Went out this morning to do a head count/cleanup and figured i had 10. Zero. No signs if anything. Fox or coyote had a good meal. Carried them all away. I was happy to feed the neighbours. Going to be easy tonight, only saw 4 fly away

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I can certainly remember some fella that was poisoning
coyotes which a golden eagle ate who then spent a lot
of time in prison. He was later pardoned by some outgoing
president. I can always imagine being awoken by a hot torrid
Breath on the back of my neck and it's buba. Keeps me walking
the straight and narrow.
Had a friend who was using as it was made to do, as a fly bait. He worked in a huge poultry barn in Mn. He notice after a few days a couple of dead cats. Then a few days went by and more of their barn cats were dying. They soon discovered the cause. The cats were eating the dead flies.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
Buddy loaned me his scope off the .22,fit nice and managed to dial it in at 50 ft. 5 rounds 5 down. Think that is the end of them for now.