Parts availability for old kubotas - when will time be up?

xmikew

Equipment
L1500DT
Apr 15, 2017
Charleston
I’m amazed I can still get kubota parts for a ~ 40 year old tractor (l1500dt/l175). Is this normal for tractor manufacturers?

Does kubota have a “end of life” for parts? There are not many tractor graveyards around here as far as I can tell so parts availability is important to me. Just curious when my luck is going to run out.
Good news I guess is I still see a lot of people posting about 1500/1501/175/185s etc.

I see people with the “no American equivalent” gray tractors trying to source parts and am wondering when that will be me... because it looks painful.

Thanks.

- Mike

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There are some of the parts that are running out of stock and no new ones being made, it a crap shoot right now as to parts availability.
I've heard of parts for 2 year kubota's that have parts that are unavailable, no rhyme or reason for it. :confused:

Kubota does really well at supplying parts for older tractors. I know a lot of the off brand makers, that once they are sold you can't buy parts for them anymore, makes you sick when you own one of those! :(

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I've been seeing parts unavailable for 1 month old machines as of here lately.....Kubota is really making me mad over it too.

There is no definitive answer for the question. They sourced or made X amount of replacement parts for whatever tractor model. If said part isn't sold at a certain quantity over a certain period of time, they'll make or source fewer of them on the next run. At some point they won't source or make that part again if there's no demand for it. Maybe that L1500 part is still in demand? Maybe it fits a different newer tractor?

manufacturers are only required to maintain replacement parts for 10 years after the last model was purchased. At one point I was working for a dealer and had a vehicle come through that was exactly 10 model years old, it needed a wiring harness....no longer available. That customer was super mad, but there was nothing I could do, I couldn't just poop one out to make him un-mad. I don't blame him for being a little upset. The vehicle wasn't even paid off yet-although I don't know how. Maybe refinanced, I do not know nor do I care at this point. The 10 year deal only applies to automobiles, not to motorcycles or tractors-at least not to my knowledge.

Had a similar issue with a motorcycle at one point that burned up a wire harness due to the owner hooking the battery up backwards. 6 years old. Just paid it off. Had 1,200 miles on it. Harness NLA at that time and the manufacturer said they couldn't get one because the company that built those harnesses was out of business. I had to remove the entire harness and physically rebuild it, at the cost of the customer, per hour of labor. If any of y'all have ever built a harness, you know that they are quite labor intensive to do this. Another dissatisfied customer but he got his bike back and still owns it to this day, and rides it about as often as he did way back then-once every 3 months or thereabouts. This deal is when I found out about the 10 year parts availability on cars; because I had called the manufacturer's sales rep and asked him about it....and he said the fed law only applies to automobiles and obviously motor-cycles aren't considered automobiles.

Recoil starter assembly for Yamaha 4 stroke 25hp...if you look up the part, it shows 0 available in the USA warehouses, and shows NLA. But if you actually order it, it comes from Japan directly and in less time than it takes to get it from a USA warehouse...just went through this.

So.....you just don't know. They (manufacturers) do weird things.

xmikew

Equipment
L1500DT
Apr 15, 2017
Charleston
Insightful information thanks! So like niw said. Crap shoot. The l175 etc seem to be plentiful so it’s good for the original supply of parts aspect. Of course I’m just guessing since I don’t have any sales numbers/import numbers to know how many of these tractors are in the us.

10 years for a car / tractor seems really low. I drive/use things until it’s cost prohibitive to repair or no longer serve my function. I was getting parts for a 96 Chevy s10 in 2015. Maybe it’s like you said though - maybe those parts fit newer year vehicles as well. Or maybe they are just after market? On the absence of manufacturer supply - if demand calls for it - someone will manufacturer it if they can make money. Now that I remember I was just getting after market parts for the s10.

Thanks again!

xmikew

Equipment
L1500DT
Apr 15, 2017
Charleston
And now I’m going to get the necessary parts to replace o rings in 3pt mechanism before you other people buy up all the kubota parts :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk