Parents ought to be ashamed of themselves

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
How can a generation of adults who are suppose to establish an education system with qualified teachers and programs to avoid this complain?

This is what a friend wrote:

Ate lunch at cracker barrel. Ticket came to $ 15.02 . Gave the cashier who was young man I would guess to be in his mid 20's a twenty dollar Bill.

A girl about the same age was standing beside him whom I guess was sort of like a shift supervisor. There was one of those bowls that you could leave loose change ( penny's) or take a penny or two rather than bust a dollar bill for a penny.

I didn't have any change loose change. I handed the cashier a $ 20 bill and assumed the cashier would take two penny's from the bowl and give me $ 5 back.

He gave me back a $ 1.45 ? The young lady chimed in and told him that wasn't the right change. The second time he gave $ 3 and some change AFTER trying to figure in his head for 2 or 3 minutes.

Then the young lady stepped in and gave me a $ 5 dollar bill, took 2 penny's out of the penny bowl. She apologized and said the guy was new and they were still training him ?

Had a similar incident happen a week earlier at another restaurant. And i have seen other kids like that use a calculator to figure how much change to give back.

I think modern education isn't very good. Computer training in both schools and work places isn't any good either in my opinion.

Reactions: 1 users

Toyboy

Equipment
BX2230D - RCK60-22BX - BX5450
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi
We've dumbed down that and future generations by having cash registers do the math now. Punch in the amount and it will them how much change to give.
Similar everywhere you go now days. Barcode reader does everything for them now excpet coffee and bathroom breaks..

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
It goes beyond that. I know 30+ year olds, some with master's degrees, that absolutely give me a blank look when I make a basic history reference. These are supposed to be educated people. I grew up in the rural south and received my education in one of the poorest counties in the state. How do I know these things and these guys do not? We all talk about how the education system is now broken, and it is. But, I have finally realized, it has been in trouble for quite some time.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Almost nobody uses cash any more and haven’t for years. That’s most of the issue.

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I wasn’t taught how to buy things at school. My parents did that. So, maybe it’s a parent issue in this case. Btw, I’m not trying to defend the public schools that are failing in most areas, but I don’t think making change is that important.

Also, most cash registers have had the ability to say how much change to make for years. You put in how much the customer is giving you, and it tells you how much change to give. That would be a business training issue.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I'm old enough that Home Economics was taught in school. They showed you how to balance a checkbook, explained different parts of bills, and made you develop a budget. Also took two semesters of home cooking class. Plus, we had small engine repair, woodworking, and metal working class.

I had finished all my college prep courses by the end of my junior year and needed classes to fill in for my senior year. I had lots of fun my senior year and ended up learning more practical skills during that year verses the three previous.

My daughter, who went through the same school system I did, had none of those classes available to her. Yes, she came out of school knowing more about music, art, and computers than I did, but I learned how to make awesome chocolate chip cookies from scratch.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
had freshman last year .......... keep pulling their phones out to see what time it was....

I said "you see that big round thing on the wall that has those little hands on them? "It tells the time perfectly !!!!!"

I cannot read that clock..............

On the inside I am thinking - " you are as dumb as a box of rocks insulting the box!"

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Common core math and now critical race theory. Your best bet is home school.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I'm old enough that Home Economics was taught in school...Also took two semesters of home cooking class...I learned how to make awesome chocolate chip cookies from scratch.
Thinking back on it, my high school also offered similar classes.

I've only lately realized I missed the boat back then. I should have taken Home Economics and cooking! That's where all the girls were!

Bmyers, you certainly were a genius!

( I assume we share the same gender... LOL)

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Well to tell a story on myself, my two good friends and I decided our senior year in gym class we were going to take gymnastics, typically just the girls would take that. We had a blast and since we weren't' flexible like the girls we had to suffer and be the base and hold the different girls up the various poses and allow them to climb on us, everything a typical high school boy loves to do, have your arms around beautiful teenage girls.

It was fun, got several dates from the class, we passed, and was also the last group of boys allowed in the gymnastic class. It was changed to girls only when the next semester came around and the other boys decided to follow our lead.

I remember when my mom found out and lectured Pat, Wesley, and myself about treating girls like sex objects. My dad was standing there and started chuckling and that didn't end well for him. Us three boys decided it was time to leave and leave quickly.

• Love

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Whatever you do, don't balme the people you are paying to tech them. The teachers today are ruining the kids today.

Funny how the Kum ba yah crew disappears now with all the S*&% hitting the fan. Hard to defend the stupidity even with all the hypocritical fancy labels.

Steppenwolfe

Equipment
Kubota L3301, MX5100, RTV 1140, ZD331, KX-71, MX5400
Dec 22, 2020
Blue Ridge Mountains
Education begins at home, with the parents. Stupid parents = stupid kids. Just look at how many believed the outrageous lies about our last election... I rest my case.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I was at an auction where the food vendor was the local church, so no cash register. The menu contained very few items, so I ordered two sandwiches at $2.50 each and one Coke for $1.00. The young lady pulled out her phone and punched numbers for quite some time while I was holding the six bucks. Finally a mature lady came over and finished the complicated transaction.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Part of it is parents. I have a now 25 year old who admittedly went to a private school K-12 and then to a state supported university. We still had to keep an eye on what he was learning in school and fill in the gaps as needed to prepare him to function in the adult world. School and sports taught him a lot so not criticizing the school. We still had to teach him how to handle basic home accounting, financial investments, budgeting, some relevant history they didn’t cover, try to instill a work ethic in him, and I don’t know what all else. He is far from perfect, but he was off my payroll the day he left college and hasn’t been back on my payroll.

He and I had what I thought at the time was an odd conversation when he was a junior in college. We were riding somewhere and saw a billboard saying some stupidly high percentage of NC students don’t complete high school. I commented that was pathetic and sad. He said it sounded fine to him. Asked him why and he replied, less competition.

A couple of years into his sales job, he told me his manager had asked him why he was still working so hard as he’d met his annual quota requirement 3 months before the deadline and didn’t really have to sell anything else until the next reporting period. He said at first he was confused by the question so he gave an honest answer: Y’all hired me to sell, my grandfather always worked his butt off, so does my dad; that’s just what we do. Never thought to do anything else. At 25 he makes what I do at 54, sometimes more. Works from home without any supervision and is still busting his ass. I guess he was right about the less competition.

Edit: And part of my job for the past 16 years has been hiring for not very easy jobs. Good candidates who have a basic knowledge of math, writing, construction, vehicle repair, life in general, an ability to think logically, and a strong work ethic aren’t common. I do agree finding people with a strong work ethic, rudimentary math competency, and good communication skills is harder than it was 16 years ago. They’re still out there, just not as common. I also have found several of my younger employees who stay around for a while thought the were fully functional adults when they started but were wrong. One of my long term employees told me a while back as we were discussing his issues with a less mature employee that he did recall being in their position when he started. Said he thought he was a man when he started here at 22 but realized recently that in reality his dad started raising him and I finished the job. One of the more meaningful compliments I’ve ever had.

Last edited:

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I recall when I was in Pre-School (that is before Kindergarten) we would do the 'grocery store game.' We would line up with a play money dollar. The goal was to buy all different items and get little to no change back, spending the ENTIRE dollar.
So you had to track the amount your were buying in your head. The 'cashier' had to calculate the correct change. I think I was 3-1/2 or four years old.
Even if a peson is not a cashier, they need to know basic math. Convert fractions to decimals. Multiply or divide. Figure a tip, split a check. Build a birdhouse. Calculate how much sand if it is going to fill a sandbox 8" deep and be 3 meters X 2 meter.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Just look at how many believed the outrageous lies about our last election...
Yeah, some people actually think the person “elected” got more votes than anyone in history and that there wasn’t any interference by big tech and most of the media.

Reactions: 3 users

ManBitesDog

Equipment
Currently Shopping
Jul 8, 2021
SW Florida
How can a generation of adults who are suppose to establish an education system with qualified teachers and programs to avoid this complain?

This is what a friend wrote:

Ate lunch at cracker barrel. Ticket came to $ 15.02 . Gave the cashier who was young man I would guess to be in his mid 20's a twenty dollar Bill.

A girl about the same age was standing beside him whom I guess was sort of like a shift supervisor. There was one of those bowls that you could leave loose change ( penny's) or take a penny or two rather than bust a dollar bill for a penny.

I didn't have any change loose change. I handed the cashier a $ 20 bill and assumed the cashier would take two penny's from the bowl and give me $ 5 back.

He gave me back a $ 1.45 ? The young lady chimed in and told him that wasn't the right change. The second time he gave $ 3 and some change AFTER trying to figure in his head for 2 or 3 minutes.

Then the young lady stepped in and gave me a $ 5 dollar bill, took 2 penny's out of the penny bowl. She apologized and said the guy was new and they were still training him ?

Had a similar incident happen a week earlier at another restaurant. And i have seen other kids like that use a calculator to figure how much change to give back.

I think modern education isn't very good. Computer training in both schools and work places isn't any good either in my opinion.

He might have been nervous.

First Post.

Hi Everybody 🖖

Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
you just had to go there, didn't ya? smh
I too am shaking my head......

I say again ................ anyone can believe ANYTHING, all you need is to have ONE person say it with conviction and damn, it has to be the truth - regardless of ANY evidence ...... any evidence.

Hell I want to be believe in bigfoot, santa claus, the easter bunny, life on other planets, UFO's, and aliens ........... but unfortunately the facts are missing!

Reactions: 1 user

Geezer3d

Equipment
Kubota LX2610SU
Apr 22, 2021
Heart of the Catskills
The owner of my local watering hole mentioned to me one time that he was thinking about going cashless because so few people pay cash. I told him that I always pay cash when I am drinking at a bar. I do not want a record of how many beers I drink or how often. It's not that I drink a lot or often, I just don't think it's anyone else's business.

Reactions: 6 users