Paint Recommendations Wanted

dwaineclark1

Equipment
L245DT
Mar 3, 2017
DRY PRONG, Louisiana
I am restoring my grandfather's L245DT and wanted to get some recommendations on the paint. It will be a working tractor and not for show, but I want it to still look right and be durable. My plan was to go with an industrial/automotive acrylic enamel but i wanted to see if anyone has used the Kubota branded paint sold online or through the dealerships. Is it any good? Does it spray well? Is it durable like an acrylic enamel or is it basically the same as the Rustoleum brand tractor paint from the hardware store? Thanks in advance.

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
The Kubota rattle cans of the old orange and old blue colours are pricey from the dealer, but they are the original colours and the paint quality is quite good. It goes on well, adheres and wears well, and the finish is quite good for a rattle can. Somewhere someone posted the amount of cans required of the orange and blue - I don't recall but if you go this route you will drop $120 on paint pretty quick.

Reactions: 1 user

dwaineclark1

Equipment
L245DT
Mar 3, 2017
DRY PRONG, Louisiana
The Kubota rattle cans of the old orange and old blue colours are pricey from the dealer, but they are the original colours and the paint quality is quite good. It goes on well, adheres and wears well, and the finish is quite good for a rattle can. Somewhere someone posted the amount of cans required of the orange and blue - I don't recall but if you go this route you will drop $120 on paint pretty quick.
Thanks for the info. If I do go with the Kubota brand paint, I'll get it in quarts and use my sprayer. I didn't realize at the time I posted earlier, but the Kubota paint is an acrylic enamel so it should be plenty durable and reduce to spray just fine.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I’m very happy with Rustoleum rattle-can Kubota-color paint. Easy, durable, dries quickly, doesn’t fade, matches my ‘96 Kubota.

Reactions: 1 users

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Best I have found is Kubota factory paint with a little acrylic enamel hardener. (yes, know how to handle iso's before proceeding)

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Id say about (5-6)to1) Kubota doesn't specify to use one with their factory paint. I also thin with a good quality reducer but not much maybe (8-6)to1) only thin enough to spray. Just make sure they are compatible with acrylic enamel. Stay away from oil alkyds its cheaper and will never harden.
All this depends on temp and humidity. The paint is good quality to begin with so your just helping it out. I don't waste my time with non catalyzed paint unless its a bracket or something. Where I live humidity is high and the med speed reducer/hardeners kick fast. I recommend aerosol naked gun cleaner its good stuff. You can get all this at an auto paint store like Sherwin Williams. If you have ever sprayed cars or quality paint you will know money is not a factor, and a quart can last years...

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Hey guys, I’ve never used it but TSC has their Kubota Orange on sale $2 off, I think it was $2.99
Should at least be good enough for implements!

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I've done a number of implements, and my top pick is the Pittsburgh AUE two-part coatings. The paint vendor (Colours) was helpful and they had the old and new orange colors as well as gray(s) in their lineup. Is your project tractor old enough to have the blue color instead of the grays?

The picture below is a Pronovost blower taken when I was selling the L3200. The blower had 4 or 5 winters on if after refurb and wasn't touched up at all. That's a testimony to the Pittsburgh coating.

I've also used two part paints form Rustoleum, True Value and Tractor Supply for a few things and they seem OK.

Attachments