Paint faded on l4060. Options or advice?

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
So my dealer called and said the 4060 came in but the rops shows oxidation and the engine cover is noticeably faded. They got approval to paint but it will be another 2 weeks. He is going to send me pics. Also. Their deal with the implements and trailer will be within 100 lbs of the gvwr of this trailer at 10400 not including the chains and binders. It only has to go about 40 miles of smooth flat highway so I'm thinking it should be okay. Next trailer up is a tilt trailer and it's a lot more. I asked about the 4760 as an option and he said about 5k more for it. How big of a deal can I really make about he paint or what should I try to do to offset this. Kinda surprised paint is that weak on a tractor. Cars sit on lots for years without any noticeable fade. I imagine it's just an enamel paint and not a clear coat base coat type. What would it cost me to call them and have them repaint loader hood and rops if I owned the tractor is really what I'm asking.

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
Car paint holds up great with Base coat/clear coat style paint, however that won't stand up to equipment abuse/use as well as a good enamel. Plus its a bear to touch up.

Also, this is a piece of equipment designed to drive in the woods, lift dirt and rocks, pull plows and tillers, etc. There is a good chance the machine will show some wear over time, and of course the sun accelerates that wear if the machine is left outside.

There are UV protectants you can try on the plastic and seat, but if the machine is left outdoors, you will notice fading over time. Some of the fading is actually oxidation, you can buff it out.

All in, you're buying equipment, not an exotic car. The paint will not bubble, chip or peel off so the metal will be protected..however you might experience fading. Sorry.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Faded paint bothers some and not others, I don't pay much attention to mine, but my brother polished my faded hood etc. on my 5740 and it looked like new.

We have some pretty disreputable looking older tractors that are regularly used and they'll look the same ten years from now.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Maybe I missed it but, is this a used machine or has he brought it in as "new" for you off some other lot where it sat out for a year or so?

The original owner of my tractor let it sit out at high altitude for 9 months, uncovered. The FEL arms started fading. I had to repair the hood and roof so those got repainted.

Kubota Orange II is a single step paint with high solids and great UV stability, despite being THE hardest paint color to keep from fading (orange). If they sit outside, they are gonna fade. Problem is, painting that correctly is going to require pulling the stickers off and re-applying new ones afterwards.

The dash plastic can be brought back with Nu Vinyl or 303 Aerospace Protectant.

Ray

Alloy Snake

Equipment
L4240,Lowry 6 foot mower,6 foot tiller
May 16, 2011
Jacksonville,FL
That's an awfully lot of fading for a new tractor, Check the date code on the tires , Tractor may be older than you may think. Mine faded after a few years, I repainted it with a single stage urethane and it looks great now.

sodak

Dec 28, 2015
Sioux Falls
My local dealer said there was some sort of stuff they sell that you put on faded paint and it makes it look new. Don't remember the name at the moment - will update if it comes to mind.

EDIT: It's called Dakota Shine; very highly recommended by my local Kubota / John Deere / Bobcat dealer

www.dakotashine.com

Last edited:

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Sodak -Its called "paint." (Sorry!)

My machine faded in only 9 mos. If that one is as bad as you describe, its been on a lot for more than a year. Maybe 18 mos. Definitely check the sidewalls for ozone checking.

How many hours on this piggy? Maybe it was a garage queen that got returned because it was unreliable?

Leaving expensive equipment outside is just dumb.

Ray

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
I won't know until I get back to the dealer for pickup. I've told them to throw in a seeder or something of close to the cost to do that repair instead. as a side note to this thread. these are the attachments/implements I'm getting. any other recommendations?

LA805 with standard bucket.
RCR1872 brush cutter with slip clutch
BS20 bale spear
Woods PF4448S Pallet forks
12 inch auger
paladin-McMillen x1975 Skid steer style post hole auger
rim guard loaded R4s
3 sets of chains and ratchet binders
LED light bar on grill guard
2 led spot lights on fenders.
suicide knob
grease gun w/grease
work shop manual
3rd function
18 foot 10400lb GVWR PJ trailer (bumper pull)
BB1272 landpride box blade

once I have it I'll be ordering some hooks and clevis for the bucket and sides of pallet forks. and probably a toothbar from bxpanded or from everything attachments. Can't get a canopy because I'll have to fold the rops down to get in my shop/garage with it.

Also, when I pick it up, what should I be looking for them to give me besides the above list and tractor. owners manuals for everything? how many keys? proof of ownership paperwork or something? tool kits?

I will be running out there tomorrow after work before the sun goes down hopefully to see in person how bad or okay the paint is. I'll try to get better pics with my phone and get a serial number for the tractor and the date code on the tires. 30741 is the serial number listed on my quote, that's not the stock number either, that's the listed serial number they show. maybe I can verify if that is the correct one.

Last edited:

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
It is new. Sitting on one of their lots. He doesn't know how long though.
Pretty poor inventory control if they don't know how long they have had it. Dealer should have paperwork telling when they received it.

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
Went to dealer today. Drove it. Had 1.2 hours on it. Their other dealer had it on their lot for a little under a year. The paint wasn't noticeable except on the bucket and grill guard top. The loader arms were barely faded. Hood was fine. They are going to order a new Seat and cowl and all new plastics. They will let me know when they come in. I'm not concerned about paint after seeing it in person. Hopefully will have 3rd function by Monday or Tuesday. And should have it by Friday hopefully.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Keys are cheap. (Like $4 apiece...) My parts guy said all newer Kubotas use the same exact key. Grab a few extras while you are there. They are all pre-cut. :)

(I know guys who leave their newer machines at remote locations might not sleep too well after learning this but I bet its common practice in the machinery industry. If your machine is going to spend a bunch of nights on its alone far away in the woods, you might want to put a kill switch into the line to the fuel solenoid. Just sayin...)

Wax that machine with NuFinish after a good washing when you get it home. Then, in 20-30 days, detail it AGAIN and re-wax it. NuFinish is a silicone-based finish that coats paint better than any other finish for long periods, sealing in the surface to protect against oxidation. It requires two coats about three to four weeks apart. Plus, its the top-rated cleaning finish so it will get most of the oxidation off the first pass. Doing your machine once a year with that stuff will keep her looking new. If it sits outside much, do it twice a year. Use WD-40 on the rear end and lower non-orange bits to prevent mud adhesion and corrosion. Yeah, it collects dust but not too bad.

I have taken to giving my Kubota an "air bath" before entering the barn, using a weedie blower. Keeps it way cleaner between washes.

Oh, and keep an eye on your FEL hoses so they don't wear the paint off your hood. If you "train" them by frequent bending, they will eventually stay away from the hood.

Have fun. You have waited for this for a long time.

Ray

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
I have lots of various air guns for reaching all the hard to reach spots, so rest assured it will get a good air bath before getting put to bed. I sent a note to the dealer, he put a mcmillen x1975 for my FEL 3rd function powered auger.....that's a 15-30 GPM rated auger motor. I mentioned it was a bit much considering my implement pump is only 9.4. I asked him about the x975 or the SA20 (*which is offset on the FEL and seems more purpose built for the task of a tractor vs a skid steer) waiting to hear back on that. hopefully he isn't unhappy as I've sent him countless emails on the subject. debating about a quick hitch, worth it with only a box blade and rotary? or not really with the Grand L's telescopic lower links?

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I have a set of PATS, lying in my garage somewhere as for me the telescoping lower links make them unneeded, but I don't do frequent changes. My brother loves his Quick Hitch, so it depends.

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
okay, so what about a diesel oil additive to the fuel. a few dealers have told me there is no issues with straight from the pump, many guys swear you have to have it or injection pumps go bad. I can't imagine they would engineer an engine knowing todays fuel without making sure it won't harm the pumps without oil.

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I've used it from time to time, but I've gone years without it, we have one that's never had a drop in it. I've also gotten dire predictions of failure and been told I'm not taking proper care of my machines.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
okay, so what about a diesel oil additive to the fuel. a few dealers have told me there is no issues with straight from the pump, many guys swear you have to have it or injection pumps go bad. I can't imagine they would engineer an engine knowing todays fuel without making sure it won't harm the pumps without oil.
If you are getting advice on additives, make sure it applies to the type of fuel injection system in the 60 series tractors, high pressure common rail, direct injection etc. So far no dealer has recommended anything specific, and mine has said nothing needed, but if you are OCD as I am you may want to add a biocide in the summer (or maybe year round in Texas?) and something to inhibit gelling in the winter.