Paint caulk order of operation

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
When I bought my house the caulk around the shower and bathtub was leaking. This caused some of the mud to swell and crack. I chipped out the bad mud and am waiting for the new mud to dry. Once I'm done with the joint compound which goes next paint or caulk?

MSG H

Equipment
L3901 HST RETIRED MIL.
Dec 20, 2020
VA
If caulk is paintable, caulk first. Some silicon caulk is not paintable. I find a good latex caulk works best.

Reactions: 1 user

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
I prefer silicon caulk for kitchens and bathrooms (non-paintable) but to each their own.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I'd paint first with semi-gloss paint, then caulk. The only way I've been able to do a good job with silicone caulk is to mask it, caulk, run the joint with something like a piece of CPVC pipe moistened in rubbing alcohol, and pull the masking tape before the caulk dries.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
When I bought my house the caulk around the shower and bathtub was leaking. This caused some of the mud to swell and crack. I chipped out the bad mud and am waiting for the new mud to dry. Once I'm done with the joint compound which goes next paint or caulk?
Just a question, is it tile or drywall? If tile you'll need to re-grout, if it's drywall it could be wet behind and that's not good. That's from a old Home Inspector.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Drywall . I quit using that shower last summer when I got my other bathroom squared away so it should be dry by now. Drywall was solid where I exposed it.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Drywall . I quit using that shower last summer when I got my other bathroom squared away so it should be dry by now. Drywall was solid where I exposed it.
OK, I'd look behind the drywall for mold, and or the insulation being compromised from water.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
I'm no painter by trade but it was my first summer job.

Never hired anyone to paint my homes or anything for that mater.

For me I like to prime first then caulk, gives caulk good surface to bond with. In a bathroom I would then prime over caulk, then 2 top coats of desired paint. For primer I like Kiltz.

May be over kill but you are sure to get good adhesion this way. I recently painted my bathroom, areas to get primer then 2 coats I taped off to speed up painting process.

Pretty good at cutting in with left or right hand but the areas as mentioned above just quicker to tape and paint.

God luck.

Jay