PA Deer season

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
Well Deer season opens in our neck of the woods tomorrow. I've been watching them walking around the property all day but they are calling for rain pretty much all day tomorrow so the Deer will most likely stay bedded down. I have the Remmy 760 30-06 ready but it won't surprise me if I don't get a single buck pass my way tomorrow because of the weather. To everyone going out tomorrow good luck and be safe. EDR

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
My philosophy is.... Always better in the freezer than on bumper. My issue is, after eating elk and moose, I've lost my taste for deer.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
Ha - Well the Deer are the big boys around here - I feel the same way about squirrels. :D

My philosophy is.... Always better in the freezer than on bumper. My issue is, after eating elk and moose, I've lost my taste for deer.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Wife and I got at least an 8 pointer with the jeep a few weeks back, just before we went on vacation. :eek:

Thankfully all it did was a friction burn on the bumper and left some fur.

Knocked it into the ditch, then it jumped up and took off.

From the bang we figured it was gonna be at least a bumper repair at the minimum. But when I got out and checked, everything looked good. Checked it in the daylight with the tires straight, I measured the bumper off the tire. Measurements were within 1/16 of an inch :D

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I see you have an RV too. So do we. Mine is in the barn for the winter, all tucked away. We use it as our summer get away cabin on our land in Northern Michigan.

You were lucky. Last time a deer and myself got close up and personal with a car, I got my SUV totaled. Deer broadsided me in a dead run, probably chasing a doe. Wiped the SUV out. Wiped the deer out too. This time of year deer (bucks) only have one thing on their minds and it;s not eating either.

Last mulie I shot in Montana I had to wait for him to finish freshining a doe. Soon as he was done I shot him so he had pleasant memories. He's hanging on the wall now.

ZTMAN

Equipment
BX2380
Aug 26, 2018
South Central Pa
I have the Remmy 760 30-06 ready but it won't surprise me if I don't get a single buck pass my way tomorrow because of the weather. To everyone going out tomorrow good luck and be safe. EDR
That is what I thought the last day of archery. Blowing 30 mph. (About an hour from Wellsville)
Filled my tag when I was getting ready to leave the blind. Ten point showed up. Not a real nice ten point, but a surprise on a day when you would think they would be bedded down.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
If I go out it will have to be from the back porch, the boys are in camp already so if I ding one I ll be able to drag it with the bota :D

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I see you have an RV too. So do we. Mine is in the barn for the winter, all tucked away. We use it as our summer get away cabin on our land in Northern Michigan.

You were lucky. Last time a deer and myself got close up and personal with a car, I got my SUV totaled. Deer broadsided me in a dead run, probably chasing a doe. Wiped the SUV out. Wiped the deer out too. This time of year deer (bucks) only have one thing on their minds and it;s not eating either.

Last mulie I shot in Montana I had to wait for him to finish freshining a doe. Soon as he was done I shot him so he had pleasant memories. He's hanging on the wall now.
If we were in my wife's old Mazda 3, it would have been totaled. Boss clipped one with a dodge 1500 in the same spot as the jeep. Bent the bumper in almost hitting the tire. We were shocked how the jeep handled it.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
If I go out it will have to be from the back porch, the boys are in camp already so if I ding one I ll be able to drag it with the bota :D

This is where the grapple bucket comes in handy LOL

curly84

Mar 2, 2016
corry pa.
I'll stay dry and warm finish the deer Shanty couple weeks ago got it in its spot so whatever the weather

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
No hunting for me this year because of my issues. Had to cancel a New Mexico Elk hunt. New Mexico refunded and so did the outfitter. Next year, God willing, I'll be in New Mexico hunting the Ghila for that Boone and Crockett bull elk.

It's only money. I worked my butt off all my life so I an go on these high buck hunts. and yes, Africa is on my bucket list too. Looking at Hawaii as well.

Been playing the Maine Moose lottery for a while now. Got to be getting close with reference points.

I have more fun hunting turkey on our land up north than hunting deer. problem with wild turkey is the only edible part are the breast meat. The rest is shoe leather.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Good luck to those of you heading out for opening day in PA.

Ours here in NC has been in since September and ends first of January so about a month left.

Between the deer I take and the ones friends give me I should end up with around 10 to 12 to process. We eat a lot of venison, it replaces beef and pork for many dishes. The venison given to me I process and give back some in the form of steaks, sausage, burger, jerky, etc. Few years back had some friends doing some doe management and ended up with 32 in the freezer. One lease a friend has is way out of balance, he had 28 does out in the field at one time few weeks ago.

Be safe and enjoy your day. Got a few friends up in PA who I'm sure will be out this week.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
Getting ready to walk out it's not raining yet saw some eyes out there in the woods behind the house when I had the dogs out to pee hopefully I didn't push any nice buck away.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Our season is almost done here, only one week left except another week after that for bow. We had a great season, 3 of us at the camp and we each got a buck. I will say the deer were a lot more skittish this year then I've ever seen them probably due to a healthy population of yotes. I ran out of time waiting for the one I wanted but he'll be bigger next year.I forgot to change the time on the camera so it was actually after 4 am that he was showing up.

Attachments

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I just went out on the porch, and its raining, I can remember when weather like this meant nothing. But my belly says go back in sit down and have a cup of coffee. The boys are at camp, always a good time you hear the same stories every year and the buck get a little bigger and the shots a little farther and the weather a bit more inclement than the last time you heard the story,,lol
Everyone that goes to the woods and hunts, does not always go to kill, but to be rejuvenated and to remember
Good hunting Yall

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I was out checking some fence in the timber this Spring and found this. The guys who hunt the neighbor's property will call me to get permission to come on my place to track one they shot. I told them I found these antlers and could send them a picture. They said it is not one of theirs. Then a few days later I got a text with a picture from their game camera of this buck. They had seen it but didn't shoot it.

Attachments

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
Pouring down rain here so being the fair weather I've turned into I'm back inside where it's nice and dry :)

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Hey Bearbait nice buck.

If you don't mind what are some dimensions on him?

Estimated weight on foot?

Gross score of antlers?

He looks like a small cow, our deer here NC are much smaller. I have only weighed a couple of deer in my life out of 100 plus that weighed 180#'s or more, to be exact 3.

Just curious if you don't mind sharing.

Since the bodies are so much different than ours hard for me to judge antler size. I have the same problem when we travel to Illonis to bow hunt. However here it is the opposite the antlers can look bigger than they are because the bodies are smaller.

Thanks for you time.

Jay

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
CM the largest one I ever shot weighed in at 240 pounds field dressed, at the butcher shop. Had he not been the Alpha buck in the valley he might have been a solid 12 point just judging from the side that was not all busted up. The other side was really busted up not much of a wall hanger so I had a bud make a knife handle for me, and yes the base was a tad larger than a half dollar. How ever to be fair, I found out later he was sneaking into the barn and eating everything the horses didnt eat. So I guess it was tit for tat..lol