overfilling transmission fluid on a L275

rhodesj3

Equipment
L275
Apr 30, 2009
franklin, tn. us
I just changed the transmission fluid on my L275 tractor and I think I overfilled the transmission fluid by about 2 quarts. It seems to be past the viewing window, however when looking into the fill hole , the level seems to be about 4 to 5 inches below the top of transmission fill hole. The dealer said this is not a problem. Should I drain off about 2 quarts. The manual says it holds a little over 25 quarts and I think I have put in about 27.

Curbster

Equipment
L-185 DT
Feb 19, 2009
Nelson, B.C.
The old oily armpit trick eh? Yes indeed, anyone who has ever fiddled with oil changes has had the stuff running down yer arm hoping to get to a rag before it passes the elbow, AKA - the point of no return! Our old cat 950 loader had such a plug that you couldn't escape that first rush of motor oil! Short sleeve shirts, and plenty of rags was always the order of the day when doing oil changes on that beast! :rolleyes:

downey

Equipment
L2550 BX1850
Apr 26, 2009
Sidney, BC, Canada
I always use a plastic grocery bag to remove the oil plug and filter, pull the bag over your arm, then remove and hold the plug or filter and reverse the bag. Gets most of the oil and keeps your clothes cleaner. :)

rhodesj3

Equipment
L275
Apr 30, 2009
franklin, tn. us
I drained the extra fluid out through the bottom but now realize a new potential problem. Under the seat on a L275 is a weep hole for the transmission. It is plugged with mud from I guess wasp. If I clean it out the dirt , it will probably drop down in the transmission into my new oil. Is it imperative to have it open and if so, any ideas on cleaning out the dirt? Thanks