'Orange' Grease Zerks (Fittings) SAE or Metric

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Orange is a bad habit I seem to have acquired with no cure in sight.

For the first time on several non-gray-market bought-used Kubotas found a couple grease zerks that wouldn't take grease and that I couldn't clear.

Question to this knowledgeable group before I start replacing zerks:

Should I expect "SAE" or "Metric" threads on the zerks?

What is your experience?

Some of the SAE vs. Metric threads are very similar and reading a pitch gauge is tough using just three or four threads.

I honestly don't know which to expect and don't want to get it wrong and wind up retapping a hole; I've learned to avoid the 'pound-in'-type replacements.

All insights and knowledge is appreciated.

Jimb21

Equipment
B21
Apr 2, 2011
Paoli, Pa
I had the same problem taking grease in certain fittings. My problem was with the ones at the bucket. I had to fully extend the loader bucket for one set and fully retract for another set of fittings. Hope this helps
Jim

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
Kubotas are made in Japan. I would bet some serious money, (at least a nickel) that the threads are metric.

Robert

asbug

Equipment
B7001 - looks orange to me... Woods 5' scrape, 42" rotary cutter, shreader/chip.
Feb 11, 2011
Varnell,GA - USA
I would agree with that ----- but I would think any zerk would work just fine.
On my B7001 they are metric. And no, a standard cannot be made to screw in correctly. Ask how I know....:)
Just my $0.02,
KC

quinka

Equipment
L245DT with FEL and backhoe, B7100HST
May 6, 2011
Heflin AL
To all for info on grease fittings. The smaller fittings in american are all 1/4-28 and the metric (same diameter) will go right into the same place with very small amount of torque. small diameter zerks are usable in both metric and standard american sizes, larger sizes are pipe threads and may be different.

quinka (retired toolmaker)