oof. Skunk got under house

Code

Equipment
l3301, fel, lp boxblade, 12" lp auger, lp bush hog, z421 zt, lawnvac leaf vac
Dec 19, 2020
Central, Va
No more comment needed i assume. What a miserable few days. 2 down one more to go from whats been caught on cam. That is all

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I'm on a slab, so there are no worries for me on that. But, I have had had the smell get in the house from one hitting my electric fence and it was bad enough to wake me up in the middle of the night. I can only imagine how much worse it would be under your house.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I've caught skunks in a live trap with cat food. Lay an old sheet of piece of carpet over the top for protection, pick up the cage by the handle and haul them off. I open the trap door with a screw driver to hold it in place and then walk away and wait.

Reactions: 1 user

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I had a baby "pet" skunk with the stink gland intact for several months when I was young. Near impossible to domesticate from what I recall. Still more memorable and lovable than many of the women I would go on to date. Skunks are alright in my book.

• Haha

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I had a battle with them getting under my sun porch, and then spraying the dogs. Thought about live trapping them but then considered the fact my dogs were similar sized. And it would be ugly if I caught one of the neighbors cats.

I checked into tractor supply and found some critter ridder granules. The main ingredients were wolf and fox urine.

Sprayed the granules under the sun porch with a leaf blower.

That actually did the trick. The skunk moved on. I had to reapply the granules every other year.

Surprisingly enough, since we got the German shepherd we haven't had an issue with the skunks coming into the yard and trying to get under the sun porch.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I had a battle with them getting under my sun porch, and then spraying the dogs. Thought about live trapping them but then considered the fact my dogs were similar sized. And it would be ugly if I caught one of the neighbors cats.

I checked into tractor supply and found some critter ridder granules. The main ingredients were wolf and fox urine.

Sprayed the granules under the sun porch with a leaf blower.

That actually did the trick. The skunk moved on. I had to reapply the granules every other year.

Surprisingly enough, since we got the German shepherd we haven't had an issue with the skunks coming into the yard and trying to get under the sun porch.
We had a couple of German Shepherds growing up in the 1960s. I remember the tomato juice baths that were required after their messing around and usually killing Pepe La Pew's kin. Fun times. I kind of like the smell of skunk now. Smells like youth.

Last edited:

SAR Tracker

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, FEL, LX2963 Snowblower, BH77 Backhoe, forks
Nov 17, 2020
Central Oregon
Lit road flare (or several) and use a leaf blower from a distance to blow the smoke at the skunk. He'll leave.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
A few years back I had something digging holes in my yard and they didn’t look quite like squirrel holes. One morning about dawn saw an albino skunk digging in the yard. Tried for a few days but never could get a clean shot at him. The live catch traps we used to keep skunks out of the beehives weren’t working on this pink eyed monster.

About a month later I was pulling out of our gravel drive to go to work and the skunk was in the driveway. I was in a little Frontier 4WD pickup. Loved that little truck: V6 with a 6 speed manual. It also had a winch bar on the front that was quite distinctive so no question who it was wherever I went in it. It was my daily driver but I also used it to haul firewood and do stuff a tractor or UTV should be doing because I had neither at the time. By the time this happened it was mechanically perfect and aesthetically challenged. I had enough of hunting this stupid skunk and took off after him. He sprayed; I cared not.

He ran into a little field up by the road where years ago my Dad planted Golden Rain trees 10’ apart in a grid. Guess the skunk figured the trees would give him some cover. Nah. I go hauling butt out through the trees chasing him all over like I might actually run him down. Went spinning and sliding around all over the field tearing up grass and knocking tree limbs all over. Chased him around for a good five minutes before he got into the real woods where he had good cover. Drove through the ditch out of the field and went to work smelling vaguely of skunk. Of course I couldn’t hit him but never saw him again (which was pleasantly shocking).

Saw one of the neighbors a couple weeks later. They said they noticed somebody flying around tearing up the field about 5:00 in the morning and first figured they were stupid teenagers who would get what they deserved when they slammed into a tree, but then thought it must be me when they saw the winch bar as I pulled out in the road. They were looking at me like they were trying to figure out if they needed to hide their kids or something so I told them I was chasing an albino skunk with no further explanation (like that really explained anything). They complimented my driving skills and let it go, but they still kind of look at me like they’re not sure if they should smile and wave or slowly retreat to safety.

Reactions: 4 users

Code

Equipment
Dec 19, 2020
Central, Va
I didnt have a problem until they got under the house. Ive seen one or two in the back pature and around the back barn. No issue except a little fresh scent every blue moon. Got two in live traps with sardines last night. In my county you cannot relocate them. Got the traps set again tonight hopefully to get the third.

It was mocking me..

skunk.png

Reactions: 3 users

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
My mother had a soft spot for any abandoned baby animal. When we were preschool age in the later '50s she adopted two newly born skunks whose mother had been killed, presumably road kill. I remember them being fed with eye droppers and probably my little sisters baby formula. Ha! But soon they were like playful little kittens and pretty much had the run of the house. They'd cuddle and play with you....never sprayed when they were little. Our dog would pretty much leave them alone too, as he was pretty old. But I think their good life and stay was over when they were old enough and began to threaten to spray the dog or anybody that startled them. House guests were more startled when visiting and two skunks would come running into the room begging for attention! LOL! But soon the skunks were acclimated to living in our woods at the time and later relocated to an abandoned farmstead and wooded area. They did make for fun little pets. They weren't de-scented as I'm sure Mom's goal was to release them to the wild again. Fun memories!

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I didnt have a problem until they got under the house. Ive seen one or two in the back pature and around the back barn. No issue except a little fresh scent every blue moon. Got two in live traps with sardines last night. In my county you cannot relocate them. Got the traps set again tonight hopefully to get the third.

It was mocking me..

View attachment 54592
One varmit situation that the old trusty .22 would NOT be good for - lol.

Code

Equipment
Dec 19, 2020
Central, Va
One varmit situation that the old trusty .22 would NOT be good for - lol.

Not while they are under there for sure. My gf is NOT a happy camper right now.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Not while they are under there for sure. My gf is NOT a happy camper right now.
I usually liked it when my girlfriends went home. Could be a blessing. Perhaps a sign your ready to get married. Maybe a message from god alerting you of your girl friends sometimes unhappy disposition ? Please ignore this if gf=goldfish.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Had one daylight run-in with a skunk back in 1986.
Drove to my property to do a plot plan, stake the four corners of the cabin, and photograph them for my building permit application.
Was just about finished when I saw something move out of the corner of my eye. It was a large skunk, in broad daylight, (maybe 10AM) and it was coming towards me, so I headed to the opposite side of the car to keep the car between me & him. It proceeded to follow me around the car, not running, but walking fast.
I decided that this critter, in daylight, acting like this, was not a good thing, so on lap three I grabbed a .22 target pistol from the car and ran off about 10-15 yards. It followed me, so when he was clear of everything, I drilled him dead center in the top of his little haid. He just dropped like a sack of taters. ( no spray)
I called the head F.S. Ranger, (just 4 mi away) and he said he'd be right out. He and a Fish & Game guy agreed that it was pretty out of character for a skunk, so we shoveled him into a doubled plastic garbage bag, and he drove it down to ASU. He called me a couple days later and confirmed it was rabid. They put out a county wide rabies alert. He also told me to pour gas, deisel, or paint thinner on the spot where it had bled, but i had already done that.
Potentially scary stuff.

Reactions: 2 users

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Fast forward about 60 yrs. and with the new neighbors established nearby our farmstead, I've become the unelected skunk eliminator. If the skunks are just passing through they are left alone. If they take up residence on the premises....I get a call. We have thick woods/brush surrounding our yard and one year a skunk had established itself here and would bother the cats and try to steal their food. One evening I saw the skunk heading for the woods so I grabbed the shotgun and headed in after it thinking I could spot it in front of me somewhere. Wrong!! In the thick of it and out of nowhere comes the skunk heading straight for me not 10 feet away. My thoughts: This isn't going to end well, just keep calm and keep walking!! We passed each other a mere two feet apart. I never looked back and it never let out a warning squirt. I revised my hunting tactics after that encounter! 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Moth balls in a glass jar with holes punched in the lid worked for me. Apparently they don't like lights either. If you can hang some light bulbs where they like to nest it might deter them. Once they are gone seal the entrance points. The last thing you need is a racoon moving in. Those nasty critters are very destructive.

One evening I saw the skunk heading for the woods so I grabbed the shotgun and headed in after it thinking I could spot it in front of me somewhere. Wrong!! In the thick of it and out of nowhere comes the skunk heading straight for me not 10 feet away. My thoughts: This isn't going to end well, just keep calm and keep walking!! We passed each other a mere two feet apart. I never looked back and it never let out a warning squirt. I revised my hunting tactics after that encounter! 🤣
Other than the smell skunks are really benign. The last thing you want to do is shoot them...they are easy to live trap release somewhere in the back forty. If you aren't excitable they don't spray.

Save your ammo for the racoons.

Last edited:

Code

Equipment
Dec 19, 2020
Central, Va
Well the third one is a smart one. he picked the sardines from the sides of the cage. I would expect that from a raccoon. Maybe he has been to the raccoon school of trap evasion

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I recently had a cute little baby skunk show up at the cabin for several evenings in a row, and while he was cute, they don't stay that way. Looked online for a kindler, gentler machine gun hand to deter him. Found several sites that said they don't like ammonia (who does?) so I got a spray bottle, filled it with household ammonia, and chased him off the property with an occasional spritz in his direction. For good measure, I sprayed around the buildings and every place I saw him hang out, and I never saw him again.
IMG_0082.JPG

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
We don't have much of a problem with skunks around here, mainly because we have a cat who is pretty good at keeping them away. Unfortunately, he isn't all that good at keeping away from THEM!

A few years ago he got a really bad spray in the face, and even after a few attempts to clean him up he smelled so horrible nobody could get near him for weeks. He's really affectionate, so he was a very sad kitty for awhile.

Reactions: 1 users