Older BX getting slower....

bxbruiser

Equipment
BX1500
Nov 28, 2022
VA
Hello all, first time poster - long time lurker. I have an older BX1500 (2006 I believe) that has about 1500 hours on it. I'm the second owner and I purchased it about 5 years ago with 400 hours on it. I use it almost daily to mow, move rocks, move firewood, move really anything, etc. The tractor has definitely been put through the wringer with me but I am very good about maintenance. Fluids/filters get changed based on the schedule in the manual and my most recent hydro dump/fill/filter/screen change was a couple months ago.

It just seems like in the past year or so the tractor doesn't have the power it used to. Turtle is slower than walking speed going across the yard and rabbit has no torque to go up even a small incline (doing it while mowing is almost out of the question). I know it's a 1500, it's the lower end of the BX spectrum so it's not the most powerful machine out there but it just doesn't seem like the machine it used to be. It's hard to research this issue and not come up with "fuel filter needs replaced" or the nut is missing at the end of the pedal linkage. Also the gas pedal gets greased, etc.

Am I wrong to think the hydraulic pump is ultimately the cause? I've been pretty rough with the machine I'll admit but like I said, I'm religious about the hydro fluid. Assuming it's not the pedal linkage, or low fluid, or filters etc. which are usually the go-to answers, is the hydro pump the last domino?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hello all, first time poster - long time lurker. I have an older BX1500 (2006 I believe) that has about 1500 hours on it. I'm the second owner and I purchased it about 5 years ago with 400 hours on it. I use it almost daily to mow, move rocks, move firewood, move really anything, etc. The tractor has definitely been put through the wringer with me but I am very good about maintenance. Fluids/filters get changed based on the schedule in the manual and my most recent hydro dump/fill/filter/screen change was a couple months ago.

It just seems like in the past year or so the tractor doesn't have the power it used to. Turtle is slower than walking speed going across the yard and rabbit has no torque to go up even a small incline (doing it while mowing is almost out of the question). I know it's a 1500, it's the lower end of the BX spectrum so it's not the most powerful machine out there but it just doesn't seem like the machine it used to be. It's hard to research this issue and not come up with "fuel filter needs replaced" or the nut is missing at the end of the pedal linkage. Also the gas pedal gets greased, etc.

Am I wrong to think the hydraulic pump is ultimately the cause? I've been pretty rough with the machine I'll admit but like I said, I'm religious about the hydro fluid. Assuming it's not the pedal linkage, or low fluid, or filters etc. which are usually the go-to answers, is the hydro pump the last domino?
There is more to the transmission than just the pump.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Am I wrong to think the hydraulic pump is ultimately the cause?
Yes, you are wrong to think the hydraulic pump is ultimately the cause.

Why on earth would you jump past the "usual" answers? Have you checked any of those? That's where you should start. Jumping to the hydraulic pump is not at all reasonable.

There are many other possible reasons. They break down into two categories:

1. Your engine is not producing as much power as before.
  2. Your transmission is not transferring as much power as before.

You need to find out which is the problem. How's the engine running? What does your smoke look like? Does it start okay? Could you have reduced fuel flow? Is your compression okay?

Unless, of course, you are trying to justify purchasing a new, bigger tractor to the wife, and you need a reason to declare this one too expensive to be worth fixing.

If that's the case, by all means, YES! It's clearly the hydraulic pump, and replacing it will cost almost as much as a new tractor?*

(*I have zero idea what it will actually cost, but that's a close enough estimate for your replacement justification purposes. (y))

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.
Is it a H S T trans? If so cut open filters check for brass if there is {I HOPE NOT} H S T is going bad. I know from my experience with my l3130.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Get a pressure gauge and check the output pressure of the hydraulic system. You might just need to bump up the hydraulic pressure or it might be that your constant abuse has come home to roost.

bxbruiser

Equipment
BX1500
Nov 28, 2022
VA
Thanks all for the replys. I'm not a hydraulic guy at all so I just kinda jumped to the pump. of course it's all apart of the master plan to always justify a bigger piece of equipment, maybe at least a zero turn to take the mowing duties off the old thing.

Getting some gauges and doing some testing sounds like a good start. I may investigate that further.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Can you elaborate a little on the performance?
Does the engine RPM drop when going up an incline, or does the engine speed stay nearly the same, but the tractor slows down?
Does the engine smoke when under a load?
Does the engine start as easily as it always has?
Does it seem like there is any slack in the HST pedal, like maybe the linkage is worn and not moving the control lever on the transmission all the way?
Just trying to get a better idea of what is causing the reduced performance.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Is it a H S T trans? If so cut open filters check for brass if there is {I HOPE NOT} H S T is going bad. I know from my experience with my l3130.
The BX series only comes in one flavor, which is HST.

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
Does the engine RPM drop when going up an incline, or does the engine speed stay nearly the same, but the tractor slows down?
Does it seem like there is any slack in the HST pedal, like maybe the linkage is worn and not moving the control lever on the transmission all the way?

I'm with you on the hydrostat pedal. I have to adjust those things often and for the same reason. A good first/early thing to check. It doesn't take much to cause a problem.

iforland

Equipment
BX2350
Dec 5, 2021
UK
Have you checked the hydraulic filter gauze? I believe that the BX1500 has one just like the larger BX's, it's easily missed and if clogged will cause the issues you have. This is not the normal screw on filter, it's a stainless steel mesh that you can wash out to clean.

bxbruiser

Equipment
BX1500
Nov 28, 2022
VA
No smoking from engine. Engine doesn't race or stall at anytime - if I meet a hill in Rabbit the tractor just slows to a crawl but the motor is not affected noise-wise anyway. I will say particularly in turtle increasing the engine RPM doesn't result in the tractor going much, if at all, faster than just where I normally keep the throttle. I should have noted the reason I questioned the pump originally was the bucket rising speed also seems way slower than it used to be as well as the noticeable overall speed of the tractor itself. .

I believe the Pedal linkage to be OK but I'll check it again now that mowing season is over and I can take the deck off. A while ago I fell victim to that lost nut/tractor no-go problem but it's possible there is wear in the linkage so I'll double check it.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
we often see on those tv shows where guys are replacing pumps. I always question what methods of diagnosis they used to conclude that the pump is "bad". Similarly, injectors and injection pumps. We see them busting the lines loose to bleed em and a lot of us attempt to do the same thinking that all diesels are similar in design.

Remove those thoughts from your brain forever because in kubota world, they often have no or little merit.

check the simple stuff first. When you mash the pedal down what happens? Pedal is connected to __ which is connected to __ which turns a lever on the __. Fill in the blanks and inspect. Once everything external is eliminated from the picture, then we can go into pressures and such.

Reactions: 2 users

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
What’s the hurry? I noticed my 2014 BX25D “seemingly” slowing down at some point. If it wants to slow down, fine by me! This tractor hasn’t cost me a dime in repairs of any kind…I’ll take that over speed any day. I have replaced 2 BH HOSES that formed pinholes…that’s it.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Decreasing capabilities of any kind are an indication of something wrong. Most things are less expensive to repair when the problem is detected early and acted on. Many things can go from "decreased performance" to, "catastrophic failure" very quickly.

Ignoring decreased performance is a good way to greatly increase your expenses over the long haul.

But for some, burying your head in the sand is always better, until the bill finally has to be paid, anyway. Then the crying starts.

Reactions: 2 users

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Aww
Decreasing capabilities of any kind are an indication of something wrong. Most things are less expensive to repair when the problem is detected early and acted on. Many things can go from "decreased performance" to, "catastrophic failure" very quickly.

Ignoring decreased performance is a good way to greatly increase your expenses over the long haul.

But for some, burying your head in the sand is always better, until the bill finally has to be paid, anyway. Then the crying starts.
Nah…no performance problems at all. I know it’s the pedal issue (Paul Short fix) but I’m good at leaving it as is. That’s my choice. You have yours.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I have to assume you have changed the filter,, and cleaned the screen, and fluid .. Look for the simple stuff first,, take the mower off and check all he linkage, you have been told about the tram linkage. Also and I know this sounds silly check your tire pressure, having a BX I know that the wheel will slip in the tire, if the pressure is not right up close to where it should be

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
we often see on those tv shows where guys are replacing pumps. I always question what methods of diagnosis they used to conclude that the pump is "bad". Similarly, injectors and injection pumps. We see them busting the lines loose to bleed em and a lot of us attempt to do the same thinking that all diesels are similar in design.

Remove those thoughts from your brain forever because in kubota world, they often have no or little merit.

And using lots of ether!