Old brick bbq pit

Jday

Equipment
Kubota l4701
Jan 4, 2022
Texas
Ok so someone talk me out of using my tractor and bucket to rip out an old brick bbq pit that is probably 15x5ft? Will the bricks rip up the bucket bad? It’s on concrete by the way.

Reactions: 1 user

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Ok so someone talk me out of using my tractor and bucket to rip out an old brick bbq pit that is probably 15x5ft? Will the bricks rip up the bucket bad? It’s on concrete by the way.
How old is it? Is it all cracked up and loose or still solid?

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Not sure I’d want to put my bucket into that due to concern about damaging the edge. I probably would push on it some with my grapple to see if it’s amenable to removal. Reasonable pushing and definitely no ramming.

Unless you built it, how solid it is isn’t exactly known. Non-structural mortar just mortared to the slab is a lot different than structural mortar and rebar pins cast into the slab.

If you want to test it without involving the tractor, you could whale on it with a sledgehammer a bit. If it’s coming apart pretty easy, try the tractor. If it’s more like the Rock of Gibraltar, rent a jackhammer and use the loader as a wheelbarrow for the debris.

Of course if you’re also taking out the slab, the slab itself is a different animal. If it’s unreinforced and pretty thin you might be able to get under the edge of it and pry it up, again taking care to not get crazy with it. If that’s not going well, you’ll probably have to bust it up some before you can get under it and pry it out.

I have taken out similar stuff but not that was in good condition at the time of removal.

Edit: Just remembered from prior experience, if you do give it a go with a bucket, put the edge in the mortar joint, not in the brick. The mortar isn’t as hard as brick, non-structural mortar isn’t incredibly strong.

Last edited:

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
If its brick and mortar you could rent an Electric Breaker (jackhammer) to tear it down then use the bucket to move it away. The break would handle the slab too if its 4" or less.

Reactions: 1 user

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Sledgehammer or jackhammer then remove with bucket.

Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I can do a number with a 10# sledge......break into pieces, clean up with loader.

Doing a paver patio while back, I applied a 4# dead-blow to my thumb.....did a number on that, too.....😢

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

Jday

Equipment
Kubota l4701
Jan 4, 2022
Texas
Turns out it only took a little push and it all came down no problem!

Reactions: 1 users

old George

Equipment
a new 2022 MX5400 w loader, plus an Old Long and a John Deere
Apr 6, 2022
swampy SouthEast Georgia
Dont mess up you loader bucket or chance hydraulic leak issues , put on a box blade and back into it to knock it down and drop it up and down to knock loose the pieces Then scoop it up w thee loader