OK, what now? (L1802DT steering box removal)

mrwolfe

Equipment
L1802DT, slasher, carryall, hayes posthole digger, kanga blade
Sep 16, 2019
Lilydale, Vic, Australia
So, had a tree come down 15 minutes after my son had left for work (thank god). Unfortunately, the poor old tractor wasn't so lucky. Probably going to have to fix it myself because it ain't covered by insurance. The question I have is: does anyone know how to get the steering column out?

Attachments

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
So, had a tree come down 15 minutes after my son had left for work (thank god). Unfortunately, the poor old tractor wasn't so lucky. Probably going to have to fix it myself because it ain't covered by insurance. The question I have is: does anyone know how to get the steering column out?
Ouch!!! That canopy is toast but otherwise it looks relatively minor. I don't know that machine - is a greay market model? The steering column on many of this vinatge simply bolts to the top of the transmission. Sheetmetal has to come off to get it out.

We have tress coming down like rain right now and I was in the woods with teh dog yesteray. Wind was blowing pretty good and I thought "this is probably not a good place to be right now".

Good luck,

Dan

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
It looks a lot like my L185 but bigger.

The steering column is bolted to the top of the transmission and also goes through the fuel tank for some support. You will need to take the dash and cowl off and probably the fuel tank also. The wiring harness should have connectors on the left side by the starter that help get the dash/cowl off in one piece. There are two bolts on each side about where the orange cowl stops. Probably if you look upwards from below you can see them.

mrwolfe

Equipment
Sep 16, 2019
Lilydale, Vic, Australia
Ouch!!! That canopy is toast but otherwise it looks relatively minor. I don't know that machine - is a greay market model? The steering column on many of this vinatge simply bolts to the top of the transmission. Sheetmetal has to come off to get it out.

We have tress coming down like rain right now and I was in the woods with teh dog yesteray. Wind was blowing pretty good and I thought "this is probably not a good place to be right now".

Good luck,

Dan
Yeah, grey market so Kubota won't even acknowledge that it exists. Stupid really, I'd buy parts from them if they even gave me the time of day. Fukkers.

I'll remake the frame for the canopy, the plastic molding is in one piece, if a bit twisted at the moment.

Discovering how to get the steering column out. It looks like the whole steering box has to come out, which means disconnecting it from the linkages.

mrwolfe

Equipment
Sep 16, 2019
Lilydale, Vic, Australia
It looks a lot like my L185 but bigger.

The steering column is bolted to the top of the transmission and also goes through the fuel tank for some support. You will need to take the dash and cowl off and probably the fuel tank also. The wiring harness should have connectors on the left side by the starter that help get the dash/cowl off in one piece. There are two bolts on each side about where the orange cowl stops. Probably if you look upwards from below you can see them.
Thanks, Russell. I've managed to get the cowling loose, have to disconnect the harness to get it out. It looks like I may not have to remove the tank, although I won't know for sure until I get the cowling off.

I'm just a bit sketcy at the moment on how clean I have to get the area around the steering box. Don't want an open hole with water and leaves and such falling in.

mrwolfe

Equipment
Sep 16, 2019
Lilydale, Vic, Australia
Thanks, Russell. I've managed to get the cowling loose, have to disconnect the harness to get it out. It looks like I may not have to remove the tank, although I won't know for sure until I get the cowling off.

I'm just a bit sketcy at the moment on how clean I have to get the area around the steering box. Don't want an open hole with water and leaves and such falling in.
Heh. Nope, the tank does have to come out. Getting to the 14mm bolts that hold it to the chassis is challenging enough, but then the steering box won't come out unless you take the pitman arm off.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I have never taken the steering box out but yes it would have to be disconnected from the steering linkage. The arm can be removed or there is a ball joint at the end of the arm that can be disconnected.

If you remove the arm you may want to mark the position on the shaft and on the housing so you can replace it in the same position

mrwolfe

Equipment
Sep 16, 2019
Lilydale, Vic, Australia
I have never taken the steering box out but yes it would have to be disconnected from the steering linkage. The arm can be removed or there is a ball joint at the end of the arm that can be disconnected.

If you remove the arm you may want to mark the position on the shaft and on the housing so you can replace it in the same position
The ball joint is easy enough to get off, but I couldn't get the pitman arm off for love or money.