OK I put together

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The 15 gallon barrels are commonly used for soap for car washes. They often times have a difficult time getting rid of them. Contact the owner of your local car wash for your next one.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
The 15 gallon barrels are commonly used for soap for car washes. They often times have a difficult time getting rid of them. Contact the owner of your local car wash for your next one.
Thanks for the info, D2. Got one right up the street, but it's sorta self-serve. Dunno if anyone works there or not, but bet I can find out who owns it. Things being what they are, plastic is a hot recycle item at the moment. The right scrap dealer pays pretty good for plastic drums that haven't hand anything dangerous in them. Most carwash soaps are biodegradable by law, so they love getting that kinda stuff. Will have to do a little research in town.

Reactions: 1 user

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
That bung looks like the same size as the larger one on 55 gallon drums. If so, I'm pretty sure there's a telescoping pickup that will thread right in. Probably available from HF as well, but if not, check Grainger (even though they're pricey). Even if it's rigid, you can cut it to length, and use the little bung for filling it back up. You might want to put a little more vent on it if you do to keep any splash from spraying out around the fill nozzle. I worked with an uncle that was a logger when I was a kid, and my job was to refuel his machines at the end of each day, then take the drums for refill the next morning on my way to the site. The drums all had pickup tubes in them, and I always filled them through the smaller bung. The small bung, IIRC, is 1" NPT so a valve can be screwed into it with readily available pipe fittings. I'm thinking the larger bung is 2" or 2-1/2" NPT. I didn't have enough experience to run the big offroad machines, and he wouldn't let me near a chain saw. I think he'd heard about me wrecking a wheelbarrow at school, so figured me and large equipment in rough terrain were not the optimal mix.

Did you perchance keep a list of parts and where you got them from? I'd really like to build up something like that. I'd probably still buy at 5 gallon increments just to keep fresh fuel mixed in with anything I stored, but put it in something like that for storage and actually fueling the tractor. I don't use enough to hassle with loading that much diesel on and off my truck, and besides that, I have a contractor cap and bed slide on my truck that won't let me stand a standard hand-truck up in it. I'd even consider putting a plug on my LX like that guy did.

If you think lifting a can up on top of a BX is tough, try the LX2610SU with fat feet. It's a long way from that fuel cap to the ground, and it doesn't get much better standing on the floor pan, especially with a can that you have to hold something pressed on it to let the fuel flow. Pretty sure I messed my left rotator cuff up again when I tried to step up on the platform on the right side. Had the can in my right hand, and got a little off balance so grabbed the FEL brace with my left hand as I started backward. It hurt. A lot. This was in December, and I'd just had rotator cuff surgery at the end of October. I've had the right one done twice, and the left once. None of the three was any fun at all.
Until you get something more sophisticated built, what I do with the B2650 which probably is about the same as the LX2610, is put a towel on the hood, and then a sturdy cardboard box on that. Then I put the square diesel container on that, no more than 3 gal in it. Then I get on a sort of step stool, install the Mr Funnel and I can tip the container to flow without lifting it. I would really like some kind of pump but haven’t gotten around to shopping for it. I voted down rotator cuff surgery, and wrist surgery to repair a badly set broken bone, so lifting and pouring is out of the question.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
No matter how you do it sheepfarmer fueling these darn things is not a bowl of cherries

Reactions: 1 user

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
fueling these darn things is not a bowl of cherries
And that is without whipped cream. I have lifted, poured, spilled, cussed, and pumped and I still do not have an ideal situation. The Harbor Freight pump is the best that I have ever tried and used, but it is still cumbersome to hook the hoses up and use.

If it was only the tractors, a dolly and larger tank would be the solution but I have to fuel the "head high" 5 gallon fuel tank on the sawmill wherever I happen to be so hauling & handling fuel cans larger than 5 gallons is out of the question. Using smaller cans or partially filled cans is also out of the question because I need those 15 gallons available when I am sawing at remote locations.

Last edited:

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I like the 15 gallon setup. That will be more than I normally need to store based on my usage, and right now, I'm using more than I ever will after I get some of the brush knocked down and the lot cleaned up. By then, maybe I'll have some kind of mowing hardware and might use a little more. Already decided when the lil' Husky gives up, I'm not spending that kind of cash on another engine to maintain. Gonna get a rear mount mower. Then the only gasoline I'll need to store will be for saw gas or weed eater gas. Use the same mix in both, so only one can necessary. I could fill the tractor with the 15 gallon setup, then just fill that back up with fresh diesel when I need to.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Skeets - was thinking about you after work. Put battery back in Moline.

It’s still covered, but hopefully we get some weather to get her fired up and cleaned up pretty quick.

Fill cap is my chest level. I’m 6’4”. I made a mess gassing it up last fall. Harder than I remember 40 years ago.

I’m hoping this battery pump works. Its okay for gasoline, so it says. Several guys here on OTT liked them from Amazon.

Set my 5 gallon gas cans on the loader frame, and pump away.... I hope.

C81CBB0B-BA52-4FB7-B262-2211BAA33F54.jpeg

59ABE471-7F7E-45A5-8F0A-E7A3F5B17DAB.jpeg

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I wonder if there is an easy way to purge it after use? I know that what I am using can be messy.
The “destructions” as I call them are in the box.

I did pump water from one kitchen sink to the other when new.

I think you just open/hold the nozzle and hose above the rest of the outfit and it drains down.

PS - Yep - it’ll all drain out. Impellor is right there at the very bottom.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I have to raise the suction above the fuel level and then let it pump until it is empty, but there are still dribbles , plus everything needs wiping down.

It seems that nothing that is easy is also simple. :(

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I wonder what the head is on that little pump
Speaking of which I better get fuel before the price get crazy,,,, again

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Yup, I caught the pump/impeller picture. Will the nozzle drain back through the pump or is there a check valve? It may pump dry after raising the pump above the fuel level or it may simply empty out through the opened nozzle.

For now anyway, I went back to this today: No Spill Diesel Can

Even though I have greatly simplified my pump pickup & dispensing hose arrangement, it is still a pain because I have to haul everything in the back of my truck. Three 5 gallon jugs of fuel, two 5 gallon jugs of blade lube, two tool boxes, box of saw blades, plus the cant hooks, etc. Yup, no room for extra stuff, hence the reason for trying to reduce "extra stuff".

I had to go to a pump last year after my shoulder surgery, but for now I am able to manage the above waist high refueling.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Here is an update on the above reply:

IMG_9711.JPG

My two additional Diesel jugs came in from Home Depot today.

IMG_9715.JPG

And I immediately customized them for my use by removing the ratchet lock on the screw cap and removed the flame mitigation devices.
IMG_9717.JPG

And then used the step bit to make the openings for the vents.
IMG_9714.JPG

Two more customized Diesel fuel jugs.
IMG_9718.JPG

The back of my work truck containing three 5 gallon Diesel jugs, two 5 gallon blade lube jugs, drink/water cooler, sawmill blade container, two tool boxes, plus the cant hooks and other hand tools.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Yup, I caught the pump/impeller picture. Will the nozzle drain back through the pump or is there a check valve? It may pump dry after raising the pump above the fuel level or it may simply empty out through the opened nozzle.
Magic- sorry for my delay. I used that pump to fill the Moline today, and wanted to use it first before a reply.

Worked great.

Some had much shorter hoses, without the nozzle. That would have been a mistake for me.
There is no check valve. Open the nozzle, hold above the outfit, and it all drains back.
E442723A-09D1-477D-AED8-3E9FED72C971.jpeg

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Thanks. How robust/rugged it is unit?
Honestly, not so much.

I will be gassing up at the house, so don't think it will be an issue for me. Use it and hang back up in the garage.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
My situation is a bit different because it would have to travel with me in the back of my truck which is already "busy" to say the least.