Oil Pan Removal L3350 L3750 L4150

wdlanning

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3750, L4310, B20, Genie Boom
Nov 7, 2016
philadelphia pa
I need to replace piston/rings without separating the tractor. I am thinking that someone has removed the oil pan and replaced pistons. I have done this on other L series tractors but this appears challenging. To start the oil pan weighs about 54 pounds which will require a lift/jack. It appears that the front axle housing for drive shaft needs removal. I am wondering if this can be done without separating the engine.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Tractors can be "split" or separated at several locations, depending on what's being worked on. The needed jacks, hoists and blocking are important - safety is a must. A flat level concrete floor is best.

A workshop manual would be a big help in showing the various separation schemes possible on an L3750. When front wheel drive was added to these products, designers didn't think too much about easy access for disassembly of pistons and connecting rods only. The shop manual indicates several separations are assumed.

To answer your question, it looks like supporting the flywheel housing with blocking allows the front axle and its sub frame and other parts to be unbolted and moved away - which would leave the rear of the engine still attached to the flywheel housing.

With the weight rigidly supported with blocking under the flywheel housing, the oil pan would be unbolted, leaving the bottom of the engine exposed for disconnecting the pistons & rods, and taking them out the top.

Its a serious project - not to be attempted without adequate precautions - line up plenty of handling tools and supports. A hydraulic rolling shop crane like this would be handy for moving the big pieces.

Not a trivial job. Get the WSM, plan the moves, work safe. Dick B.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

wdlanning

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 7, 2016
philadelphia pa
Tractors can be "split" or separated at several locations, depending on what's being worked on. The needed jacks, hoists and blocking are important - safety is a must. A flat level concrete floor is best.

A workshop manual would be a big help in showing the various separation schemes possible on an L3750. When front wheel drive was added to these products, designers didn't think too much about easy access for disassembly of pistons and connecting rods only. The shop manual indicates several separations are assumed.

To answer your question, it looks like supporting the flywheel housing with blocking allows the front axle and its sub frame and other parts to be unbolted and moved away - which would leave the rear of the engine still attached to the flywheel housing.

With the weight rigidly supported with blocking under the flywheel housing, the oil pan would be unbolted, leaving the bottom of the engine exposed for disconnecting the pistons & rods, and taking them out the top.

Its a serious project - not to be attempted without adequate precautions - line up plenty of handling tools and supports. A hydraulic rolling shop crane like this would be handy for moving the big pieces.

Not a trivial project. Think it through, plan it out, work safe. Dick B.
Outstanding reply and I thank you

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Looking at the Illustrated Parts Lists don't miss the two bolts into the oil pan at the bottom of the flywheel housing coming through from the back. By the time you get the axle and bracket off, you'll be good at navigating the parts drawings.
Best luck ! :cool:

L3 flywheel housing.jpg L3 front axle bracket.jpg

Last edited:

wdlanning

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 7, 2016
philadelphia pa
Looking at the Illustrated Parts Lists don't miss the two bolts into the oil pan at the bottom of the flywheel housing coming through from the back. By the time you get the axle and bracket off, you'll be good at navigating the parts drawings.
Best luck ! :cool:

View attachment 65056
I had located the two from flywheel housing. Also there are two bolts coming from front axle direction

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
I had located the two from flywheel housing. Also there are two bolts coming from front axle direction
And there's a shim at the back end too - maybe important for matching oil pan length to the finished block so everything tightens together? This may affect the pan coming free when the bolts are out. Maybe somebody will chime in who's been there....

Last edited:

wdlanning

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 7, 2016
philadelphia pa
I need to replace piston/rings without separating the tractor. I am thinking that someone has removed the oil pan and replaced pistons. I have done this on other L series tractors but this appears challenging. To start the oil pan weighs about 54 pounds which will require a lift/jack. It appears that the front axle housing for drive shaft needs removal. I am wondering if this can be done without separating the engine.
No one indicated that they had dropped the oil pan without separating the engine. I have almost accomplished it. The front axle and front axle bracket had to be removed. Now ready to unbolt the 60 lb oil pan. Lots of work. Pics attached

Attachments

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Great progress! Yes, lots of wrenching - looks like that steering bracket is a hefty chunk too!

Thanks for posting pics - looking forward to seeing more.

While the head is off are you doing head work too? When its going back on (after all the other fun) there's a fancy o-ring 15221-33700 toward the front of the head that seals a short oil pipe going up to the rockers - it's easy to miss.

L3750 oil pipe o-ring.jpg

Hope your job continues to go well - a few years ago I replaced rings (std size) and honed the bores on a V2203 (4-cyl) out of a skid-steer - rings were stuck but bores were ok. It has run fine since. Dick B.

Last edited:

wdlanning

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 7, 2016
philadelphia pa
No one indicated that they had dropped the oil pan without separating the engine. I have almost accomplished it. The front axle and front axle bracket had to be removed. Now ready to unbolt the 60 lb oil pan. Lots of work. Pics attached
Update
I removed the oil pan and only found aluminum flakes (pic). Proceeded to unbolt and remove pistons. The #4 piston was broken just below top ring. I would say that is the cause of the blowby. Now to confusing issue; all 4 rod bearings were scored and #1 was spun. The #1 connecting rod bolts/rod were bent. I have started to polish the rod journals. My dilemma is whether to inspect main bearings, which means I have to split the tractor This nullifies the objective of removing pistons insitu. Unless there was an oil problem, I don’t know why all rod bearings were damaged. Would like some opinions

Attachments