Oil leak in brush hog from unknown hole

xmikew

Equipment
L1500DT
Apr 15, 2017
Charleston
Hi. No clue what brush hog this is. It's old but what I think has an old omnigear rc gearbox on it. Oil is leaking from the front cover from a hole I have no clue what is for. From the picture you can see the oil glisten from one of the four bottom holes around the input shaft. Any idea about the leak or why the holes are there? I was thinking of just putting some gasket maker on it.

Thanks.

- mike

countrynerd

Equipment
BX25D, L3301
Jun 6, 2016
thumb, MI, USA
The hole could be where u check oil level and screw fell out. Can’t tell from the picture where hole is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xmikew

Equipment
L1500DT
Apr 15, 2017
Charleston
Thanks. The front seal being the one around the input shaft? I thought if that leaked it would be leaking from around the input shaft.

Here's a picture with a little better light but not much.

I think you are probably right teg. A seal I don't know about under the front cover? Never opened a gear box up before but corn grease probably is my best bet at this point.

Better thank putting in oil every time I need to use it!

Thanks.

- mike.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I think if the breather was clogged it would force grease out as well,,

xmikew

Equipment
L1500DT
Apr 15, 2017
Charleston
So I played with the photo in Photoshop but couldn't get that much better quality to see anything. No big deal...

So those bolt holes are if the gear box was going to be mounted or used for something else. You can put a bolts in there, if it doesn't interfere with the pto shaft shield.

Usually the corn grease is if the bottom seal fails, since that is much harder to work on (just getting to the bottom one is a pain).

Ahh that's interesting. I think when I cut with it one last time before end of winter I might take that front plate off and see what's in there unless that's a huge job. So far everything with it has been a huge pita so I'm guessing even if simple it's still going to be a pain.

Appreciate the input

xmikew

Equipment
L1500DT
Apr 15, 2017
Charleston
Ah, I see... do you have a FEL to pick it up, or actually stand it up on it's tail wheel. My bush hog has a flat square top where the bolts are... You open this one up and oil is going all over the place!!!

Good news if you remove the front bolts, you can take it inside a shop to work on.

Hah. No shop/garage yet! All wrenches turned in the weather. No fel but not much oil left so will tilt it back with a 2x4 lever and stick some jacks under it.

2458n

Jun 21, 2010
covington ohio
Get some brake cleaner and see if you can find out for sure where it is leaking. On giving it more thought just clean it up and put three tubes of corn head grease in. Run it if you still have some clean up to do. Any extra grease goes on the Pto shaft after pulling it apart. If setting out grease all fittings and take half of Pto inside to the shed,barn what have you. No shame in doing it this way.