Oil Dipstick

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Normally I check my fluids after the tractor has been sitting but today I drove it up to the shop to fuel and check levels, this was after warming it up. When I pulled the dipstick it was covered with oil, cleaned it put it back in and oil level was good. First diesel I have had so is that normal, oil all the way up dipstick when it is running? No leaks or anything out of the ordinary, just curious.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Spinning crankshaft slings that oil everywhere..... helps lube and cool under the piston-crowns and upper cylinders.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
As Geo said - the oil is the SECOND most important cooling an engine has. Most people just think of oil as a lubricant - sure that is its main job - but also it cools the engine too. Most if not all the time - I have to wipe oil from DS to check for an accurate reading - unless it has been sitting a long while.

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
In SOME engine designs oil will actually CLIMB UP a dipstick of a stationary engine with capillary-type action.... so it’s always a good idea to wipe it before taking a “dip” and reading it.

(And some engine manuals will not address the “dipstick”.... using some other word such as “oil-gauge-rod”, etc.... so when searching...(hint hint)

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
(And some engine manuals will not address the “dipstick”.... using some other word such as “oil-gauge-rod”, etc.... so when searching...(hint hint)
Next time a student pisses me off ...... rather than me calling him yo - dipstick!!!!

I might use that term ----- "oil gauge rod" ....... the rest of the students will look at me like I am crazy - which is probably true!!!

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Next time a student pisses me off ...... rather than me calling him yo - dipstick!!!!

I might use that term ----- "oil gauge rod" ....... the rest of the students will look at me like I am crazy - which is probably true!!!
That would be much better than the term we have around here...which probably was derived from dipstick...

Dipsh*t! :oops:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Nope not normal, 100% trashed the engine and probably the rest of the tractor, I be right over to haul it off for you, no charge! :p

Reactions: 1 users

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Nope not normal, 100% trashed the engine and probably the rest of the tractor, I be right over to haul it off for you, no charge! :p
Sounds like a deal but you will have to take some other trash and things that don't work too. By the way did I tell you I have moved a bit East? My new address is 16 Pennsylvania Ave. District of Columbia.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I never heard of an engine that you check the oil level with it running. Normally it needs to be OFF (not running) and sitting at least 30 min to get an accurate level reading on the gauge.

Reactions: 1 users

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
I never heard of an engine that you check the oil level with it running. Normally it needs to be OFF (not running) and sitting at least 30 min to get an accurate level reading on the gauge.
It was not running. Ran it to the shop, turned it off and fueled and checked fluid levels. Just surprised it had oil covering the dipstick.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
From my sophomore year in high school auto shop, "Oil cools, cleans, cushions (lubricates) and prevents rust."

I had a Briggs 18 hp twin cylinder that would have oil "climb" up the dipstick about 4" while it sat between uses. Wipe it off, stick it in, and it was right at the full mark...weirdest thing ever.

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
Just as a point of interest I felt compelled to respond here. The coated dipstick after running the engine is common. There are some exceptions where the engine oil can be checked on the running engine. The one I know in particular is Allis Chalmers 200. It has markings on both sides of the dipstick. One side says engine running and the other side says engine stopped. I have not researched the reason though I speculate that these engines may have powered gensets in the past and been set up both ways. It is kinda handy if you forgot to check before starting. Just check reading the proper side of dipstick.

whizbang

Dec 23, 2019
Monroe, MI, USA
Hello,

This is slightly off topic, but I got my M59 towards the end of last summer and the previous owner had just had it to the dealer for all fluid changes so I have yet to do an oil change myself since I haven't put many hours on it yet.

Wanted some opinion on where the oil level should be on a cold engine on my particular dipstick (PN 32791-16601). My dipstick only has the 2 holes and a PN on it (see photos). Generally on a dipstick like this I would assume top hole is full, bottom hole is low. I figure this should be the same but the distance between the holes seems huge. When I check the level with a cold engine, it doesn't even cover half the PN. Am I too low?

When hot is covers more but not near the upper hole. Operator Manual doesn't give any detail on where it should be at any time.

Attachments

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Hello,

This is slightly off topic, but I got my M59 towards the end of last summer and the previous owner had just had it to the dealer for all fluid changes so I have yet to do an oil change myself since I haven't put many hours on it yet.

Wanted some opinion on where the oil level should be on a cold engine on my particular dipstick (PN 32791-16601). My dipstick only has the 2 holes and a PN on it (see photos). Generally on a dipstick like this I would assume top hole is full, bottom hole is low. I figure this should be the same but the distance between the holes seems huge. When I check the level with a cold engine, it doesn't even cover half the PN. Am I too low?

When hot is covers more but not near the upper hole. Operator Manual doesn't give any detail on where it should be at any time.
The upper hole is the Maximum fill level and the lower hole is the Minimum fill level. You are OK anywhere in-between. Most people fill to the upper hole with a cold engine.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Tractordata says the M59 engine takes 9.9 qts (probably includes the filter) You might do an oil-change and see where that puts it.