Obviously crazy Craig's list tractor adds?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I keep seeing tractor adds on Craig's list for Kubota tractors at prices that are low enough to be called insane.

What is up with this? Some show the location as in the center of the city (Pittsburgh), but not all. Usually the photos are in the countryside somewhere.

What are these obviously scam artists expecting to gain?

Does not equate in my mind...cannot figure it out. Harvesting contact information of less than sharp people?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
do they by chance have a colored frame around the ad?
I visit ol craiglist 5 times a day.........
I flag the living hell out of those ...... and the food court trailers, and the rv's and the enclosed trailers....

IF the email is stamped across the picture...... scam .......... if the body of the text has bettysue@somethingyouneverheardof.com then it too is a scam

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Yep, the classic
"M9000 Kubota with 50 hours for $2200, already crated up and ready to ship, going overseas and need to get rid of it, just wire the money to XXXXXXXXXX"

My buddy and I flagged hundreds, now pretty rare to see them here any more.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Yep, the classic
"M9000 Kubota with 50 hours for $2200, already crated up and ready to ship, going overseas and need to get rid of it, just wire the money to XXXXXXXXXX"

My buddy and I flagged hundreds, now pretty rare to see them here any more.
I need a 3rd one for that price, where is it?

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I dont understand these ads either. There are a ton of these in my local area. Usually BXs for "$2238". You will find the same pattern with John Deere Gators, other side-by-sides, ect... I don't know if they are preying on old / naive people? I don't see how the scam works when its obviously BS. I was kind of thinking like Herno maybe they are just out to gathering contact information?

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
One guy was replying to one of these scams, since it was flagged, he posted another craig's ad asking if it was still available... I replied to him, telling him was a scam... he wondered if I still had it for sale !@#$%^&*(

I should have took a down payment - to hold it for them... The scam only has to work once in a blue moon. It doesn't cost them anything to post those ads.

MNVikingsGuy

Equipment
LX3310, FEL, 60" bucket, 60" grapple, 60" box blade, 60" flail, LX2980 blower,
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota
Even at these low prices, I can't afford one of these tractors as I am busy saving to help out a Nigerian prince that promises to make me rich if I just send him $10,000.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
They usually try to pressure unsuspecting people to jump in & send the money IMMEDIATELY because

"I'm being sent overseas tomorrow & can't afford to pay any more storage fees"
or
"My husband cheated on me & I need to sell his tractor cheap before he finds out what I'm doing"
or
"My life has been blessed so I want to pass on my good fortune to someone else, but another buyer is gathering the funds now"

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Because a lot of people are gullible and easily led. You see it on the news everyday. Another problem is poor math skills by the average person (also seen daily). Of coarse pointing this out will offend someone; the last time I pointed out the gullibility of people I was threatened with forum banishment. We shouldn't be punished for pointing it out, it is evidenced by the reality of the ads.

The CL scammer is just using the shotgun approach. The only reason you see them is because they work. Flag them all.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
“There’s a Sucker Born Every Minute”
P.T. Barnum

Reactions: 1 user

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I got a call yesterday from a guy with a deep voice telling me that my Social Security account had been closed. Oh crapola !!! :oops:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Some dude has used my Amazon account to purchase a "something something phone". I need to confirm it was my purchase. I hit #1 to talk to the Amazon person. I ask them what was purchased, when, what was the shipping address, the amount of the sale. When I tell them I need to contact Amazon to see what happened they hang up! I thought it was Amazon folks call me.....

It's happened about 5 times in the last 2 weeks.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I got one that said my Consumers Energy bill was over due and unless I paid $ 314 they would cut my electricity off. I got a little excited and said this is a mistake, I paid last month (and besides I have solar panels so my monthly bill is just a $10 line charge.) After we went around and around about his spread sheet, I said, and what did you expect me to do? Who did you expect me to pay and he mentioned credit card. And I said so this is a scam. He hung up and I called Consumers and gave them the phone numbers they were using so they could report it. The interesting thing was their initial call was a message left on my cell phone without the phone ringing first. It was in my pocket, so no reason not to hear.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I get calls and emails saying the same thing about my amazon account,,, thing is I don't have one :)

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I have been getting phone calls telling me I am eligible for a low interest capital loan. Six different calls on six different phone numbers this week alone. They all call and ask for Frank. Frank is not my name. And the numbers are disconected

The FBI is going to arrest me! Then they leave a number to call back. So I called back. Do you know how many times you can call back with a redial button on a cell phone with 5 hours of highway driving to do? It made for a much quicker ride. After awhile the guy said he would lose my number if I did not call back!

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
My BIL has a recording on his phone which says, “This is a recorded message. If you are Law Enforcement Please Enter your Access Code. If other, please remain on the line BEEP BEEP....”
he gets a lot of hangups And no more nonsense-calls. All family and friends know his phone is ringing and if on his Contact List he wil pick up shortly.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
well here's mine

2015 I was bored on my day off (which hasn't happened since), got on CL and found an ad for someone who had a tractor with a loader want to trade for a side by side.

So ok I'm thinking, scam. Decided to send message.

I had a 2004 Kawasaki Mule 3010 reg cab gas, bought it for $250 and cleaned it up and got it running. I had maybe $500 tied up in it at the most. I already had most of the stuff at the house that I needed, engine gaskets, etc. I had to buy parking brake cables and a few other odds and ends at the dealer. Got 'er up & going, GF loved it, we rode around on the snow some (and winter 14/15 was the last time we had decent snowfall thankfully). And then, it sat. November rolls around and I dug it out & got it going again after sitting all that time.

The ad I responded to, I actually got a response. Call this number ask for Chris. Well I'm still skeptical. I called anyway. Turns out, this guy has several tractors. Deere, MF, Ford, all had loaders, he likes to restore tractors he picks up at the local auction house. I told him I had this old Mule and didn't have much in it, but it was nice & clean, and ready to use. he said bring it to the town he lives in, about an hour or so away from me. Didn't really want to drive an hour but ok, I'll go look--I'm off work, might as well. It was Veterans day 2015.

I had to run to my brothers house, get his trailer, then go back home, load & tie the Mule down (don't remember if I used chains or straps, sorry), headed to his place. I show up and this guy had a bunch of tractors and parts.

Well we struck a deal. Trade my old Mule for a MF 1140. 1140 wasn't a popular tractor. He had actually replaced the engine with one from a 1145, and then bought the side panels from an 1145. As a hotrodder, he realized that the little turbocharged iseki (only 1145's were turbo) engine didn't have an intercooler, so he dug around in a junkpile and found a Volkswagen IC, plumbed it to the tractor, added a little baby puller fan on it and ran it. Yep, deal is finalized. Little tractor was cute, but I wanted it for the loader. he said it ain't got no power steering, everythign else worked other than the safety switches. I was ecstatic!! Got it home, unloaded it, and spread a pile of gravel on my shop driveway that I had been shoveling for MONTHS, it took maybe 15 min with the tractor. No power steering sucks with a loader.

Drove tractor into the shop and started looking at it. I had to fab up a muffler for it (no big deal) and put a rain cap on it. While I was messing with it I noticed that it has a tandem hydraulic pump, basically two pumps attached together. One was much bigger then the other. So I followed the suction pipes, one goes to the transmission and it's discharge runs back toward the top of the trans. The other pump runs off of a suction pipe that goes to a tank in front of the radiator, but it's discharge runs to a valve that the steering shaft goes into. What? It might have power steering. I dumped a gallon of oil into the tank, found a leak, fixed that with a clamp, and started the engine. Yup..power steering, works awesome too. Guy also said the 4x4 doesn't work, said something about a linkage. I got to looking, found that a clip had fallen off of the engagement linkage. I had one in my junk pile and installed it. 4wd works great now.

So I got a 4wd MF 1145 with power steering for about $600 (including fuel to go get it).

Ugly, shuttle shift, needs a clutch but as cheap as I got it, couldn't pass it up.

Same day I called the guy back and said man are you sure you want to do this? I got the power steering working. He went on to say that he was disabled from an injury in Afghanistan (he was in USAF), and he needed the Mule so he could get to the deer woods. It was veterans day. He needed the Mule, I needed the tractor, and he was good with that. Super good guy.

so if you see an ad that you might think is scam, or if it's questionable as to whether it is or not, don't give 'em any information just respond. Never know, it might be legit.

and BTW that's the second time that's happened....traded a 93 Mustang hatchback 4 cylinder straight across for a beautiful, and NICE 2004 Mustang V6 automatic....which I put almost 200,000 miles on without a single problem. The 93 was NOT nice, nor was it reliable. I got rid of it with 401,000 on it's odometer and to my knowledge it's still going. Owner said she was shooting for half million miles.