Number and placement of bucket shackle and grab hooks?

Timmer92

Equipment
2019 L3901 (former - BX2370), 72" Brush Hog, 72" Hydraulic Snow Blade, 3pt Auger
Dec 4, 2019
Minnesota
Hi all,

I just traded up to an L3901 and am trying to figure out what kind of conveniences I might add. I was thinking of adding clevis and shackles, and/or grab hooks to the bucket. I was looking at ones from http://www.boltonhooks.com/kubota.html. If I hadn't seen pictures of the shackles, I would likely have put one grab hook in the middle and a grab hook further out on each side. I'm thinking I might be missing uses for the shackles. I'm relatively new to tractors and hobby farming. How many of which type and what placement makes good sense for whatever task might come up?

Last edited:

Biltit

May 29, 2018
SK
I put a single hook in the middle of my bucket (backside top) for lifting, just a weld on chain hook from local chain store. Its handy if using a chain but a weld-on shackle or something of that type would be handy if using straps or ropes instead of chains.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I put a slip hook in the center and grab hooks on each side, about centered on the arms/booms.

I don’t have Kenny’s hooks as I was not aware at the time. They are highly recommended here. Kenny of Boltonhooks is a member of OTT.

I can see where shackles would be very handy.

He also has several other products...the Quick Hitch hook may be coming my way soon![emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I have an L2501 with the 525 loader. I put two of Ken's hooks on the bucket, one centered on each actuator. I seldom need such a thing but if I have more use in the future adding the clevis part will be an easy upgrade.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
My Kubota came with one center grab hook from the dealer.

I had three additional grab hooks attached.

Note the second hook in the middle of the bucket is backwards.
If trying to lift something at the limit of your loader, running the chain down the back of the bucket increases your lifting ability as it moves the load closer to the loader.

This summer I was lifting a frame made of two 40 foot long H beams off a trailer.
Being able to connect to each of the H beams from the center of the bucket kept the frame flat. It also kept the bucket as low as possible.

The challenge was to find the balance point.

Dave

Attachments

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I installed 3 bolt on hooks (from Ken's Bolt On Hooks) rear facing, with the outside hooks centered on the loader arms and the third dead center of the bucket. I thought about adding a clevis underneath, but I almost exclusively use chains. The clevis seems like it would be most useful for straps.
I do get a lot of use out of them, and they were the first upgrade I did to my L4060. On my previous L3410 I welded a 4' piece of heavy angle iron to the bucket with chain slots cut into it. That worked well also, however my welding skills are so-so, and it looked horrible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Hi all,

I just traded up to an L3901 and am trying to figure out what kind of conveniences I might add. I was thinking of adding clevis and shackles, and/or grab hooks to the bucket. I was looking at ones from http://www.boltonhooks.com/kubota.html. If I hadn't seen pictures of the shackles, I would likely have put one grab hook in the middle and a grab hook further out on each side. I'm thinking I might be missing uses for the shackles. I'm relatively new to tractors and hobby farming. How many of which type and what placement makes good sense for whatever task might come up?
I always install three hooks (never shackles) on my buckets. Usually, a 5/16" in the center and one 3/8" at each end.

Weld-on hooks are readily available from TISCO (your dealer can order them for you but will likely not have them in stock). Hint: Have your dealer put the hooks on his next TISCO stock order to avoid shipping charges.

SDT

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
My BIL has Ken's hooks and a clevis. They are high quality. Had I not made that first set of slotted bolt-on angles for the B7500 back in '02 or '03 and used them successfully I'd have some myself.

The more places you have to attach a chain the better. You'll notice the slot count increased on later versions of mine below. They work with 1/4" through 3/8" chain. Recently I've developed a real love for 1/4" G70 chain and have a couple with logger's slip hooks on one end.

Chains just drop into the slots, from the front or rear. I use them for attaching the brush forks and Amish Ratchet Rake. When I have something to pick with a sling to protect the finish, I run chain through the eyes of the sling.

Some loads are best handled with multiple chains connected to different points. Extra slots allow any extra chain to be draped through them instead of dragging on the ground. I've used them to lift anything the loaders have been capable of and have done some things that put tremendous strain on them like the 6' LandPride move in the second picture.

First picture is from '03 and is the first set on my B7500. Next three pics are of the L3200 and the last is the L4240.

Attachments

Last edited:

gssixgun

Equipment
L3600, FEL, SnoBlower, Box Blade, Rear Blade, Forks, Cultivator, Plow
Jan 5, 2013
Sandpoint ID
www.gemstarcustoms.com
Mine had this on the bucket when I bought it

So far it has been all I have needed, someday I would like to weld on two chain hooks to the sides

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
I put a full width piece of angle stock across the upper lip of the bucket, then welded a couple of grab hooks spaced about 1/4 width in from each edge.

If I were to do it again, I would just weld on the angle iron with the leg vertical and slotted the full length to make a chain plate.

Chain plates work both directions, and hold chain every bit as well as grab hooks.

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
For location of attachments to my bucket, refer to picture 3 in post 9.. Like in the picture, I bolted D rings with 2 bolt mounting tabs. In line with the loader arms.. I did not choose to mount anything in the center line of my bucket so there is no danger of bending things.

Along with the D rings I use 2 trailer safety chains. The hooks on the safety chains will slip through D rings, so adjusting loads past the front edge of the Piranha bar.

Both products are rated for more than my loader will lift, so I feel all will be safe. I have about $40 in the whole lot.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
If I meed to lift something, I toss a chain around the bucket and choke ii.