NPT threads and Pipe dope

jdmcb

Equipment
L6060
Aug 12, 2019
Burlington
Do you guys recommend using pipe dope on NPT threads. And how tight should I torque it. I have a Quick disconnect for a snow blower that needs to connect to a coupler. Also, the other connection is a o-ring boss. Im pretty sure I should NOT use dope on that one, but its stamped CHINA on the side of it.
Thanks

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I don't use pipe dope much of anywhere. I prefer to use teflon tape. It comes if various thicknesses. I don't use it so much as a sealant as a lubricant. It helps tighten fittings smoothly with less resistance from friction. It even works well on PVC pipe.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
The Chinese can cut good threads (if they want to). Teflon tape should never be used with hydraulic fittings because if any of the tape gets in the fluid, it could be death for pump components.

Of corse there is NPT and NPT Dryseal threads but I imagine the China threads are normal NOT. Use pipe compound if you want to, just not teflon tape.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re:... Teflon tape should never be used with hydraulic fittings because if any of the tape gets in the fluid, it could be death for pump components.

return line filter is supposed to remove EVERYTHING 'harmful'....:confused:

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
If teflon tape is applied properly, that is, starting back a thread or two from the open end of the fitting, there is zero possibility of any of the tape getting into the system. Besides, the pressure is trying to push it back out of the threads, not suck it into the system.
I have used it for many years and have never seen any indication of teflon tape getting into an oil, fuel, air, water or hydraulic system.

Now RTV sealant is a whole 'nother story.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
If teflon tape is applied properly, that is, starting back a thread or two from the open end of the fitting, there is zero possibility of any of the tape getting into the system. Besides, the pressure is trying to push it back out of the threads, not suck it into the system.
I have used it for many years and have never seen any indication of teflon tape getting into an oil, fuel, air, water or hydraulic system.

Now RTV sealant is a whole 'nother story.
Zero possibility of anything is an elusive goal in reality. But it can be accomplished.

Seems like there are two choices, avoid using teflon tape and there IS a zero possibility of it getting into the hydraulic system.

OR use teflon tape and the possiblity of it getting in the system is there. Small chance perhaps, but there is always a chance.

Myself, like many others, choose to NOT use teflon tape on my hydraulic fittings. I just like the zero chance of something undesirable happening.

As they say, your tractor, your decision...

LiL Tugger

Equipment
B4200D, RTV500, Z121S
Jan 23, 2019
houston
This is always an interesting discussion for me. I work in Oil & Gas (15+yrs) and we talk about this all the time. Most Instrumentation and Electrical (I&E) and Hydraulic Guys will say to never use Teflon Tape. Simple reason, as previously stated, when installed incorrectly it can damage components in the system. With this being said, I agree that when installed correctly it can be a great product for the purpose. What ultimately the philosophy is, "eliminate the risks by eliminating the cause" i.e. Teflon Tape is not allowed, use pipe dope. You'd be surprised how many people don't understand how to install tape (direction of wrap, starting location on threads, end location on threads, # of wraps....)
Your ultimate goal is to have a lubricant on the threads to aid the threads in creating a proper seal when the proper pre-load is applied (torque).

Just my $0.02, to each his own.

LT

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
re:... Teflon tape should never be used with hydraulic fittings because if any of the tape gets in the fluid, it could be death for pump components.

return line filter is supposed to remove EVERYTHING 'harmful'....:confused:
Key word 'return'. What about before the return??

.... and I'll admit I to have used teflon tape in the past but I am also very careful not to start the tape wrap at the very end of the fitting but back a bit from the end.

I use Detroit Diesel red sealant on fittings now. Good stuff. Not cheap. Comes in a tube and a little dab is all you need. Not sure you can buy it retail but I know the right people at the dealership where I retired from....lol

Thunk Wolfman will concur that Teflon pipe tape is bad ju-ju.....

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have seen Teflon tape in every component of a tractors hydraulic system and 99% of the time it's not good.

Pipe dope is a much better and safer option. ;)

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
The maintenance manuals/procedures in all aircraft which I work on specifically warn NOT to use teflon tape in fuel and hydraulic systems.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Anyone seen damage when globs of pipe dope get into pumps and stuff ?
I've used both tape and dope and never had a problem,1,000s of 3k5 and 5k systems though if I had my way I'd use Swagelok fitting and never ,ever need tape or dope.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Teflon tape was originally developed for using on used pipe threads on plumbing pipe. Prior to the introduction of Teflon tape for use on worn old plumbing fittings, plumbers would use pipe dope and cotton sewing thread in the pipe threads to get a good seal. Using Teflon tape on new NPT fittings is worthless, because the sharp edges of the thread will cut the Teflon into ribbons. Pipe dope properly applied fills the gaps in the NPT, as you tighten the fitting. NPT threads are tapered, and the tighter you twist, the more pressure is exerted on the sides of the mating fitting. In theory, you can over tighten NPT fittings, and crack them. This was a common problem with Teflon tape when it first was introduced, a plumber would use the tape on an old pipe that was being threaded into a boiler, and since it reduced the friction, and the plumber lost the feel of how tight it actually was, the boiler would crack at the fitting, rendering it worthless. Today, you can purchase many types of thread sealant, and some actually have Teflon infused in them. Stay away from anything with Teflon when working on hydraulics. I would recommend Rectorseal #5 for hydraulic fitting connections.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
It’s really difficult to find anything better than good ol’ Permatex No.2 for this job. Just don’t put any kind of sealant on the first two threads.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
one thing you gotta be really careful of with dope or teftape is that it also lubricates the threads as you're screwing the fittings together. In an aluminum transmission case, it's really easy to crack/bust the case and then it becomes a bad day. I've seen this a bunch of times; with cast iron and steel as well, particularly on fittings/valves/cases that are near/on corners or edges. If the fitting is steel and going into a softer material such as aluminum or cast iron, there is no need for tape or dope. The difference in materials will seal it up so long as the threads are cut properly and sometimes even if they're not.

Do not ever use tape or dope on ORB fittings or JIC fittings, not needed, makes a huge mess.

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
Just my experience of owning and/or working on every brand of British car made (King of Leaks) is: application of teflon tape is easy and provides a good leak free seal better than some of the pipe dopes on the market. However, the problem is removal of the fitting leaves a stringy mess that cannot be easily removed 100%. When the fitting goes back in stringly teflon threads are loose in front of the fitting. In old gas fuel systems you find this crap wrapped around your float needle.
I found the non-hardening sealants can be removed with brake or contact cleaner and a q-tip. Personal favorite is Hylomar.
I only use Teflon tape for house plumbing as it was originally intended.