Now I went and did it...

bikerdib

Equipment
L4701 with FEL, BH92 backhoe
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
Just got back from my dealer. Haven't signed any papers yet, it's just a gentleman's agreement. It should take about a week before everything is final. I think everything should fall into place to make it work to my satisfaction. Even if things don't work exactly as I want them to, I'll probably go ahead and do it anyway.

Got your curiosity up?

OK, OK, I'll tell you.

I negotiated with the salesman I usually deal with and bought a B3300SU. The one they have on the lot has R4s on it so I talked to the store owner and he agreed to order in another B3300SU without wheels and tires. They are also going to order in the R1s and wheels that I want. They will then take the R4s off the one on the lot and put the R1s on for me. That way I don't have to wait a month or more for them to get one in with R1s; it should only take about a week to get the R1s in from the warehouse. Then when they get the new tractor without wheels, they will put the R4s on it.

They are also going to try to sell my B7300 with FEL for me. The salesman said he already has 2 guys in mind.

bikerdib

Equipment
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
Yes I did, but my property is mainly wooded and I have small walking trails. I really wanted to keep to a smaller tractor.

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
Congrats!! I would like to know what it would be like to have a new tractor instead of something 20, 30, or even 60 yrs old like my last farmall cub. The one question I have is regarding your tire choices. I was wondering if you could enlighten me as to why you chose the R1 over R4's? What are some experiences with R4's over traditional Ag's? Reasons not to use R4's? I am considering them for my b6000 rears

thx, kytim

tk1469

Nov 15, 2010
North Central Michigan
I plan on getting the R4 tires when I (soon) get my L3800. My reasoning is that the R4 tires are a little easier on the parts of my property that have grass on them. The Turf tires wouldn't work out very well in the sand or mud and the AG tires were too aggressive on the grassy areas - thus - I will get R4. You will find that the R4 tires are wider than the the AG tires. Good Luck.

bikerdib

Equipment
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
Since one of the primary uses of my new tractor is FEL work, including digging on an area where I am putting in a pond; I want the maximum traction available. I will not be using the tractor regularly on grassy areas. Even if I do, I'd rather get the extra traction the R1s will give and then do whatever repair to the turf needed.

True that R4s are wider than the R1s however, the deeper lug of the R1s are what give the traction especially in loose or muddy conditions. That's what I need, your requirements may differ.