Not a good day at the farm

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
We got to the farm this morning a little after 7:30 and went to get in the barn and the door knob didn't work. I couldn't get it to turn and in the process of trying to turn it, the door just opened.

Didn't think much about it, we went in and toolbox laying on the ground open and thought maybe groundhog had knocked it off the table.

I got looking at the door handle and it was broken. We looked around and started noticing things out of place or missing.

We walked down to the other barn and see the door was partially open. Went in and didn't see anything missing, put noticed that the dirt had all been raked.

Decided we better check the house, the side door open. Went in and things were a mess, but nothing we could see right off missing.

Walked outside and checked the box trailer, the latch on the back of the trailer had been cut.

Walked around the house and found our 20ft equipment trailer stolen.

So, we called the sheriff department and they came out to take a report. In the process we noticed that the truck that my nephew and his dad had been working on restoring was missing parts (radiator, some engine parts, etc.).

Along with the trailer, about 20lbs of copper wire was taken.

It could of been worse, so I'm thankful for what was not taken.

• Angry
  • Wow
  • Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
I have a similar story. After dad passed in January ‘20, I had his house for sale. Someone broke into the out building and took a few things, nothing of real value since the week prior I had cleaned it out of all chainsaws, pressure washer, weed eater and any associated tools of value. Even stole the small dorm fridge, after taking the waters and Gatorade’s out...

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Gosh - - so unfortunate. Dirtbags...

BMyers - I hope the Sheriff's Office is successful finding the crooks and the stuff they took.

At work, we had a trailer-mounted welder stolen from a very rural/remote bridge job last week.

Odd thing was that same welder was stolen from the same location in 1994..... that time, they didn't hook it well, and it unhooked and rolled into a nearby hedgerow.

They hooked it better this time...nowhere to be found.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I was just in the shower getting cleaned up and it dawned on me that the generator from the barn was missing. Called dad and nephew to make sure I wasn't imagining it, sure enough they stole the generator.

Just called the sheriff department to report it.

Wonder what else is we will find gone.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Wonder what else is we will find gone.
Might be worthwhile to take another slow walk-around with your Dad to think about it....

It's so hard to figure out what's not there....sounds like they got into a lot of places on the farm.

It's not funny, but sometimes you have to make yourself laugh....

If the insurance is really good...check to see if that Picasso Painting is gone from behind the Barn Door.... :oops: (I don't know how to spell other painters' names...😉)

Seriously, I'm so sorry you had that happen. I know you and your Dad have been working so hard there....

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Might be worthwhile to take another slow walk-around with your Dad to think about it....

It's so hard to figure out what's not there....sounds like they got into a lot of places on the farm.

If the insurance is really good...check to see if that Picasso Painting is gone from behind the Barn Door.... :oops: (I don't know how to spell other painters' names...😉)

Seriously, I'm so sorry you had that happen. I know you and your Dad have been working so hard there....
Good point.

I had to walk off and cool off before I called the law. Went back and tried to mentally picture what was where the week prior... hard to do since I hadn’t been in that building much helping dad move/organize it.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois

You are correct. It wasn't till I was home in the shower did I realize that they stole the generator. We were all looking at the spot, but couldn't figure out what they had taken, just knew there was an open spot there.

Standing in the shower, it hit me the generator was gone.

Guessing we may go back out tomorrow and take another look around to see. I'm looking at photos I have taken from the farm to see if anything jogs my memory.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
That’s a tough one!

I had a chance to go into a steel mill where I worked for probably 15 years, a couple years after it was closed down and stripped of a lot of stuff.

What impressed me the most after leaving was that I could not remember what I didn’t see!

I wish you the best in remembering. It can be really tough...

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I'm sorry that happened to you. I have no sympathy for a thief. None.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Sorry to hear this.
When it happens to me, I always like to envision them driving away at high speed to get away, running a red light, and getting T-boned by a 75mph, fully loaded cement truck. Except I'd feel bad for the cement truck driver.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I would say dopers but Im sure I would get yelled at by some in here

Reactions: 5 users

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I would say dopers but Im sure I would get yelled at by some in here
after re reading it again, from Bmyers description, I wouldn’t be surprised if its somebody he knows. Dopers typically wouldn’t care what they took, sounds like only specific things were taken. Somebody knew what and where things were in my opinion 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Sounds like they took things that are easy to resell no matter who owned them.

Reactions: 1 users

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Sorry to hear this Bmyers.. you'll probably find that there are a few more things missing.. hope I'm wrong! I think maybe I'll do a quick video of my garage tomorrow.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I think public stoning would be a fitting punishment. The cement truck would be too fast. Obviously, televised on local channels.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Hate it for you. It’s a terrible feeling having your place violated like that and even if insurance takes care of the financial loss the whole thing is a big PITA.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Sounds like they took things that are easy to resell no matter who owned them.
Yep, scrap wire and hand tools will be easy to pawn/scrap. The two items that will be more difficult is the generator, but even that won't be two difficult and the trailer. The trailer is the biggest hope of catching who took the stuff.

My guess is they are from Missouri. We have been having issue with thieves coming across the river. Few months back, my work got hit and they took a bunch of hand tools from job trailers we had. We ended up catching a lady and guy, both from MO, pawning the battery operated tools in MO.

We have taken most of the valuable items out of there, but just had tools left out there. I know part of the project today will be to remove easily taken items and get them brought to our houses. It will make it more of a pain, but no need to leave tools out there they can take. I will just take my toolbox with me.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Sorry for your loss. Hopefully the sheriff puts a flag in the records for the plate and VIN number on the trailer. That is the one item that will most likely found if someone tries to register it in the next few months.