Northern Owner Sperience

Dwight Bremer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4060 HSTC, LA805, L2195A, BH92, .5TBB, PF, 12K TAT,
May 16, 2021
Hardwick, MN
The overnight temperature is going to be in the single digits (F) here tonight; winter is coming.

I am looking for recommendations from experienced northern DEOs. The advertising hype machinery is running at maximum output on these products so virtually useless info there.

Are all the diesel winter anti-gel additives basically the same?

If there is a previous discussion here on this subject, please point me there.

I am using Cenex Roadmaster XL Premium Diesel at the station pump; three 5 gallon containers at a time (for now).

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
Dwight, I’m north of Superior…..I’ve only ever used Power Service (white bottle) additive. Couple glugs in a tank. I put it in my diesel VW as well. No problems at -40. I keep a Diesel 911 handy in case it does gell. Keep tanks full to avoid condensation.
I run Shell T6 5w40 in diesels as well…. Block heaters help. Oil tank heat pads help. Heated garage helps :) Extra warm up time for engine oil and hyd oil temps, you’ll regen more from the longer idling times than in summer.

Reactions: 1 user

dfixit1

Equipment
L4240HSTC-3
May 17, 2019
United States
I also use Power Service (white bottle) 1.6 ounces per 5 gallon container with dyed diesel. I also used the other brand which has a year round additive with no issues.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Dwight, just recently a neighbor bought a new L3560 for his winter snow removal business. I know he treats his fuel but also asked if we could come up with a set of winter front covers for his new tractor.
I believe that they'd fit all the 60 series tractors. We're north of you in the Grand Forks, ND area, so similar if not a little worse for cold temps.
Here's what we came up with, if it would interest you at some point: L3560 Winter Front Covers
Since he has the very first set of covers for this model, there isn't much history behind them yet. But they should help with quick warmups, keeping the engine temps in the midrange in our clod winter clime, etc.
The smaller B series (like I have) really benefit from them up here. Will be interesting to find out the neighbor's experience with them on his larger tractor. That was one nice Tractor!!
David

Reactions: 1 users

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
I have on many many occasions had to blow and plow snow at -30f and probably colder with temps and windchill

To prepare I do the following:
- in the fall I run out my summer diesel supply as low as I can
- as the weather is transitioning to the ultra cold season I keep only enough diesel around to be used while weather is transitioning from fall to ultra cold.
- when the weather is in the ultra cold period I ensure I am using fresh and unmixed Premium Winter Diesel (no bio diesel). And I free pour approx. 1 oz of winter antigel Power Service (white bottle) per 5 gallons pumped.

Fingers crossed I have never had a problem with any of my Kubotas.

Also
- I use block heaters (3 hours plug in while in a pole barn) prior to starting
- battery gets a tender put on it maybe 1 - 1 1/2 hours before starting
- HST machines get 1/2 hour warm up period during ultra cold times. I have found the transmissions definitely squeal and "skip" when not warmed up properly.

On the DPF machines like my L3301 the regens still work flawlessly and average closer to every 17 hours versus 22 in summer. I do use duct tape to cover 1/2 the cowl vent over top of the DPF in cold weather to slow and limit the amount of cool air that is pulled over the DPF.

Fingers crossed I can say in last decade I have never had a problem in winter taking care as described. Yes some may say a lot of work but taking care has not let me down yet!!

Kubotas have run flawlessly for me in ultra cold weather EXCEPT one B2620 treadle pedal that was soo stiff wouldn't come off fwd / reverse without some help from the foot. Solution was to clean the greased joint of the heavier grease and re-grease with thinner low temp grease and problem went away.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
I am using Cenex Roadmaster XL Premium Diesel at the station pump; three 5 gallon containers at a time (for now).

If me I would switch the fuel you are using from their Roadmaster XL to their WinterMaster XL which is designed for use if colder weather and has a different additive package.

Dwight Bremer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4060 HSTC, LA805, L2195A, BH92, .5TBB, PF, 12K TAT,
May 16, 2021
Hardwick, MN
I have the Power Service additive and a jug of 911 for that emergency situation that may never happen. Also, just switched over to Cenex WinterMaster XL.

Thank you all for your recommendations!!

Oo-v-oO

Equipment
2000 B7500
Oct 31, 2021
Central NH
I'll just add to NOT overdo it with the 911 and only use it if you've already started to gel. A friend used way too much in his Powerstroke and it ended up sleeping past the injectors and hydrolocking the engine.
Great stuff when used as intended.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
All I've ever used to condition my diesel fuel here in cold S Manitoba (a few -25C snow blowing events last few years) and use it year round, is Sea Foam. I've had to start the tractor at -30C (after my B2650 has the block heater plugged in for an hour) and running at those temps, never had an issue of any kind with fuel.
I add 125ml Sea Foam to each 5 gallon can when I fill at the pump. Diesel or gasoline. And the car and pickup get a tank treatment every oil change.
It's really effective stuff.

SRRGC1

Equipment
BX1870-1, BX23S TLB, RTV XG850, MX5100DT
Jan 6, 2021
Bloomsburg
Numerous anti gells on the market. I use Howes diesel treat all year. From NE PA. Mild winter so far.

forky

Equipment
L2501 HST 4X4 8N
Feb 23, 2021
Wisconsin
In regards to the OP's post. The block heater does not have a thermostat and only needs used 1/2 hour or 3/4 hour at most....no need to cook the fluids.... easy does it enough.

Mossy dell

Equipment
B2601 (2021) JD970 (1998) B2100 (1991) B6100E (1988)
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
Hot Shot's Secret for anti gel and their warm weather everyday treatment.

I am not northern! But have researched and they are highly recommended.

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
Last year was my first year with the diesel. I stayed with gas so long mainly for winter starting issues. I was told to:

1) Use #1 from a reputable supplier (& bio is bad news year round)
2) Treat with something, but everybody had their own favorite. Runnings has Howes, Walmart has Power Service in the white bottle.
3) Change, or at least clean, the fuel filter going into winter. The legend is that as the fuel starts to gel, the tiny globs pile up on the filter and make bigger globs. Less flow, more globs, vicious cycle.

I followed that advice (I used Howes) and had no troubles, but (as was pointed out) last year wasn't much of a winter.

DDCD

Equipment
1964 MF135, L2501
May 8, 2021
Oklahoma
I have a dumb question as a flatlander with mostly warmer temps. My tractor is stored indoors and rarely gets below freezing. If I start it indoors, is engine heat enough to keep the tank from gelling? Planning for worst case when I have a PTO gen running in 0 or subzero temps.

I use stabil diesel for longevity since sometimes my tractors sit for months at a time. It has some lubrication in it, but no anti-gel.

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019
In regards to the OP's post. The block heater does not have a thermostat and only needs used 1/2 hour or 3/4 hour at most....no need to cook the fluids.... easy does it enough.
Are you suggesting that leaving my B2650's block heater plugged in all day could damage my tractor in any way? "Cook the fluids"?? meaning vaporizing or boiling off it's coolant/antifreeze mix?
I only plug it in at usually well-below-freezing temperatures but the ambient temps prob have risen above that in my clear glazed hoop shelter I park it in. Usually remains plugged in for a few hours at a time, and has been left plugged in for more than a day at least once. For various reasons. Ok, I forgot to unplug it, for various reasons.
After all that I haven't seen any signs of coolant loss which would prove your point. Have you had this happen with your L2501?

Fido Farms

Equipment
L3901, 35 Massey, Summit X 146, Polaris 700 RMK, Yamaha Viking
May 27, 2018
Canada
FYI. In 35yrs of diesels in tractors and 4 yrs with VW Jetta TDI I've never added anything to the diesel fuel. -40 to +35 C. We must just have the best fuel here in the Canadian Prairies. Never had an issue with pump or bulk fuel. Tractors using outside storage tank too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019
FYI. In 35yrs of diesels in tractors and 4 yrs with VW Jetta TDI I've never added anything to the diesel fuel. -40 to +35 C. We must just have the best fuel here in Saskatchewan. Never had an issue with pump or bulk fuel. Tractors using outside storage tank too.
I agree, and I only get shell diesel. It seems they're serious about winterizing the fuels up here in Canada's prairies. Though I don't necessarily appreciate the 10% ethanol in regular gas for our vehicles come winter, haven't run into any probs either.

DDCD

Equipment
1964 MF135, L2501
May 8, 2021
Oklahoma
That may be true for Canada but not for us southern US states. I know several vehicles that did not start and got towed instead during the February freeze/power outages.

• Sad