Noobie Brush Hog Question

sdrake

Equipment
L3800 with loader
Apr 18, 2022
Charleston, WV
Hey folks, new tractor owner here, so pardon my ignorance...

looking for a rotary cutter for my L3800. I need to do some minimal field work (less than 5 acres), keep some trails clean and manage some brush on the property. I'd like something that will do at least a 2 inch cut without breaking the bank. Thoughts on the way to go? Local dealer has Titan products, but the reviews seem mixed.

Thanks for any help

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
All I know is that Titan Implements is a US company making well regarded products.

Titan Attachments is a Chinese manufacturer making less than well-regarded products. The company I purchased the flail mower from recently dropped Titan Attachments as a supplier due to quality control issues among other things.

He's now selling Dirt Dog products which appear to be well made here in the US.

sdrake

Equipment
L3800 with loader
Apr 18, 2022
Charleston, WV
OK... thanks for the clarification. I was reading reviews and not making the distinction.

Last edited:

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I think the challenge may prove to be not breaking the bank. Your post has me curious what my mower deck is now selling for brand new and it is a $1,000 higher than when I purchased it according to the prices online. I know my good friend bought the exact same BB that I have, he had to pay $500 more than I paid year and half ago.

The normal answer would be watch the used market, but my guess is that market is slim pickens right now and seeing high prices.

The encouraging word I can give you is at some point the prices will start to moderate once the demand for equipment drops and the supply out paces the demand. The downside, I have no idea when that will be.....tomorrow or in twenty years.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Went through this same thing last year. Here’s that thread.
Maybe it helps, maybe it causes more confusion? Good luck.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Went through this same thing last year. Here’s that thread.
Maybe it helps, maybe it causes more confusion? Good luck.
If it causes any confusion it might be my fault. Sorry about that.

So after a year of ownership, are you pleased with the Bush Hog model that you bought? As you know, I ended up with a Land Pride RCR1884 and it's proven to be a durable cutter. Removing/installing the blades is a bit of a pain but hopefully the Milwaukee M18 impact will make the job a lot easier.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana

looking for a rotary cutter for my L3800. I need to do some minimal field work (less than 5 acres), keep some trails clean and manage some brush on the property. I'd like something that will do at least a 2 inch cut without breaking the bank. Thoughts on the way to go? Local dealer has Titan products, but the reviews seem mixed.

Thanks for any help
I have a 7ft Land Pride rotary cutter (RCR1884) with front and rear chains, dual wheels and slip clutches. I used it a lot last year at my place and a friend's place cutting 25 or so acres.

There can be a lot of things to think about when choosing a rotary cutter beyond quality and reliability. They're expensive implements and it's easy to make a mistake. I should have looked at dual spindle rotary cutters, and maybe the single spindle would still have been the best choice but I'm not sure of that. Unless you can try before you buy you have to take a leap of faith sometimes.

Anyway, things to think about in no particular order:

1. Size
2. Weight
3. Single or dual spindle
4. Floating or static top link
5. Cutting height range
6. Single or double rear wheels
7. Shear bolts or slip clutch
8. Rubber, metal or chain guards
9. Deck design
10. Cost

I'm not cutting in and around a lot of tight places, but rather fairly open fields so bigger was better for me. The problem with large rotary cutters is that it's easier or more likely to get them high centered. That's one of the reasons why I decided to buy an offset flail mower to use in conjunction with or possibly instead of the rotary cutter. Only time will tell.

24.jpg

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
If it causes any confusion it might be my fault. Sorry about that.

So after a year of ownership, are you pleased with the Bush Hog model that you bought? As you know, I ended up with a Land Pride RCR1884 and it's proven to be a durable cutter. Removing/installing the blades is a bit of a pain but hopefully the Milwaukee M18 impact will make the job a lot easier.
I am happy with it. Only real complaint is it’s long. Wish I would’ve looked at a dual spindle, but that would put me into 8’ cutters, which is too wide, in my opinion, for tight Georgia pine woods work.

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I am happy with it. Only real complaint is it’s long. Wish I would’ve looked at a dual spindle, but that would put me into 8’ cutters, which is too wide, in my opinion, for tight Georgia pine woods work.
Yeah, I should have done more homework and looked at dual spindle cutters. The guy that bought the MX6000HST is interested in the RCR1884 so maybe I'll get a second shot at another rotary cutter.

Last edited:

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Bush Hog and Land Pride show 7' dual spindle cutters. Land Pride's is offset. Bush Hog's looks like 3 gearboxes.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

Thanks for any help
I've bought and sold many rough cut cutters over the years and buy mostly Woods these days.

Both Woods and Bush Hog are considered top tier with LP second shelf but gaining. Of course, all three make both economy, mid-level, and HD models.

Something to consider when buying a small rough-cut mower is the tail wheel bearing. Most (all?) manufacturers use bushings rather than roller bearings in the tail wheels of low cost models. A tail wheel bushing will be a continual source of maintenance even if lubricated regularly. A roller bearing will last the lifetime of the cutter even with less than ideal maintenance.

The blade/pin change system used by Woods for the past few years makes blade changes simple.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I recommend the County Line brand available at Tractor Supply. Probably made in China by children. I would consider it a light duty mower at a light duty price. I have had mine 8 years and have had no problems. I periodically mow farm trails with it behind my 40hp Allis Chalmers tractor . Depending on your age and health it may last a lifetime but I wouldn't count on it. Still, I feel a good value. Good Luck

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Bush Hog and Land Pride show 7' dual spindle cutters. Land Pride's is offset. Bush Hog's looks like 3 gearboxes.
I called the local Kubota dealer today and asked about the cost and availability of an RCD1884 and RCR2596. The RCD1884 is not currently in production, but if it were it's around $6,500. The RCR2596 is in production but if ordered today it would be around $7,500 and might get here before the end of the year, but probably not!

Sammy3700

Equipment
L3800HST,524Loader,BH77,Landplane,Disk,Mowers and more
Feb 20, 2012
Red Springs, NC
I noticed you are in Charleston Look at Hardee or EVH they are in Red Bluff SC and make a good product I have their tiger cub 5’ now they offer 5&1/2 which will work with your tractor

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I called the local Kubota dealer today and asked about the cost and availability of an RCD1884 and RCR2596. The RCD1884 is not currently in production, but if it were it's around $6,500. The RCR2596 is in production but if ordered today it would be around $7,500 and might get here before the end of the year, but probably not!
I didn't say they'd be cheap :) .
I bet the Bush Hog wouldn't be either.
How about a 7' flail?

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I didn't say they'd be cheap :) .
I bet the Bush Hog wouldn't be either.
How about a 7' flail?
The flail I ordered that's being delivered tomorrow wasn't cheap either. It's a 6' model though since a 7' wasn't available.

sdrake

Equipment
L3800 with loader
Apr 18, 2022
Charleston, WV
Thanks for all of the insight folks. Very helpful for folks like me getting started.

I got lucky (I think) and found a used Woods Bush Bull with a clutch that is in great shape minus some faded paint. Picked it up and an older brush hog heavy duty auger (with 6&9 inch bits) for $1,700 as a package deal. Looks like I have officially started down the path of implement hording...

Reactions: 1 users